No WA Rachuig Team 2013 - is this really in the best interests of the sport?

WA Bowlers have been saying for many years why cant we have the Nationals in W.A.
Eastern States bowlers, you may have a winge, but this is an estimate of costs that a WA player would be looking at:
Flights $1022 (as at today, Qantas)
Accommodation: 7 days $420 ($60 a night iflucky, sharing with a few others)
Transport: $150
Challenge Shirt: $70
Training/Travelling shirt: $60
WA State Jacket: $120
Lineage, photos etc, TBA Costs (which are are charged to the bowler): $200 estimate
Total: $2042
And that doesnt include your meals and drinks. Or, your weekly cost for practice, your All Events Entry or Masters Entry !
Now, before you shoot me down in flames, I know these facts as I have had the pleasure of bowling Rachuig a few years ago.
WA TBA provides a shirt, the players can do some fundraising, but it is still pretty heafty cost to travell away and represent your State.
A sincerely hope that we can send away a WA team, local players or draft players, but before you get on your soap boxes and have a go at WA, just remember what WA players are upagainst.
Brenda Kirkwood

Bec, each state operates differently. Ive been applying for funding since i was in Juniors, i got it for the first year i bowled youth and then no more (i was 17 when i applied for the youth grant). Fundraising is organised if the players wish to do it, but most dont.
Fair enough. I know Victoria and NSW offer sporting grants for all ages

WA Bowlers have been saying for many years why cant we have the Nationals in W.A.
Eastern States bowlers, you may have a winge, but this is an estimate of costs that a WA player would be looking at:
Flights $1022 (as at today, Qantas)
Accommodation: 7 days $420 ($60 a night iflucky, sharing with a few others)
Transport: $150
Challenge Shirt: $70
Training/Travelling shirt: $60
WA State Jacket: $120
Lineage, photos etc, TBA Costs (which are are charged to the bowler): $200 estimate
Total: $2042
And that doesnt include your meals and drinks. Or, your weekly cost for practice, your All Events Entry or Masters Entry !
Now, before you shoot me down in flames, I know these facts as I have had the pleasure of bowling Rachuig a few years ago.
WA TBA provides a shirt, the players can do some fundraising, but it is still pretty heafty cost to travell away and represent your State.
A sincerely hope that we can send away a WA team, local players or draft players, but before you get on your soap boxes and have a go at WA, just remember what WA players are upagainst.
Brenda Kirkwood

Tintam,
I understand total costs are high to represent your state, however, much of the costs you have shown are equal for everyone, the issue is the difference in flight costs.
The method which Jim Cross suggested and I costed, would be fair and reasonable. It might not be exactly correct to the dollar but would have been very close to equaling costs for everyone to arrive at Brisbane using Flexi Fares from each State Capital into Brisbane on same day in Sept and return 7 days later, then all competitors face similar costs from there onward.

If there are 6 bowlers (scratch or non scratch) that have nominated for the WA Walter Rachuig team, why would there be a need for the draft?

Doesn't the State Body have to automatically select the top 4 and manually select 2 from the field that have nominated?

If 6 nominate, and the 5th and 6th bowler average 150 - that's too bad! The way I understood it, the draft was only available if a team could not be fielded with enough bowlers that nominated. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

Tintam,
I understand total costs are high to represent your state, however, much of the costs you have shown are equal for everyone, the issue is the difference in flight costs.
The method which Jim Cross suggested and I costed, would be fair and reasonable. It might not be exactly correct to the dollar but would have been very close to equaling costs for everyone to arrive at Brisbane using Flexi Fares from each State Capital into Brisbane on same day in Sept and return 7 days later, then all competitors face similar costs from there onward.

Why Brisbane & why September

Nationals in Townsville 1350kms away from Brisbane & Rachuig is last week October

Qantas return airfares to Townsville from 18th/19th - 27th October from:

ALICE SPRINGS $1,014
NEW ZEALAND $850
DARWIN $744
HOBART $683
PERTH $652
ADELAIDE $626
MELBOURNE $510
CANBERRA $462
SYDNEY $398
BRISBANE $370

average $630.90

Normally only get more expensive closer to October you wait to book unless hold out for sales.

It's pity TBA cant approach Qantas or another airline and book 140 - 150 flights for Rachuig bowlers/coaches/managers and thrash out some discount on flights. Over $200k in flights when you take into account Restricted, Seniors & Rachuig bowlers.

Why Brisbane & why September

Nationals in Townsville 1350kms away from Brisbane & Rachuig is last week October

Picked Brisbane, because most flights to Townsville go through Bris, most Departure Cities impossible to direct flight. Also gave me a way to include a travel cost for the QLD team so would be a fair comparison for all,imho.
I picked a Month earlier thinking less lead time to arrange flights may result in higher fares than if booked earlier. Was attempting to cover that time variance, thats all. (perhaps might have been better if I priced it with say 1 month lead time)

It's pity TBA cant approach Qantas or another airline and book 140 - 150 flights for Rachuig bowlers/coaches/managers and thrash out some discount on flights. Over $200k in flights when you take into account Restricted, Seniors & Rachuig bowlers.

Correct Chin, this is what a governing body should be doing but are not.

Not to mention Youth Challenge, Presidents Shield, Junior Nationals and Disabilities Championships.

Could even go out on a limb and say Ranked events as well?

Amongst bowlers nationwide in the course of a year, id dare say there would be close on maybe a 7 figure sum spent on airfares?.....

Cmon guys
we're supposed to be encouraging ppl to bowl and talking about these costs is just scary. There'll be no one wanting to bowl after seeing these figures.

But in all seriousness I agree that TBA must find a way to assist bowlers (especially in state teams) with travel costs

This is a great opportunity for a travel agent to really make a difference where the TBA is obviously lacking. Calling out to any bowlers who are, or work for a travel agent.

This is a great opportunity for a travel agent to really make a difference where the TBA is obviously lacking. Calling out to any bowlers who are, or work for a travel agent.

I work for a sub division of Qantas and have already spoken to our port manager here about getting discounted airfares through Qantas. He said it is up to head office what happens, if its for an individual, then the individual applies, if its for a NSO, then the office needs to contact them. I only saw my port manager about this today when i was at work, and have sent the info on to a few people to try and make something happen.

when i explained the figures to my port manager, he seemed baffled that noone had already approached qantas..............

when i explained the figures to my port manager, he seemed baffled that no one had already approached qantas..............

I bet its not just your port manager that is baffled. I bet there are a lot of bowlers that are baffled as well. With so many 1000's of members it baffles me as to why the TBA is not trying to get group discounts on a lot of areas, travel, luggage etc.

About time bowlers woke up to the lack of get up and go at TBA level for the benefit of Individual & Team travelling COSTS. Consider the National Tournament Expense Fees every entry pays, which have been in excess of $28000 yearly at Rooty Hill. Where does this go.???? Lorraine McLoughlin works as a Travel Agent maybe she can offer some advice. Dockers.

FYI, last year a number of ATBSO and Holt teams travelled to Townsville under a discounted airfare package deal and free excess baggage with Virgin.

This was organised by the then ATBSON Inc President, if you PM me I will be happy to pass on the contact details.

I organised ATBSO's flights to Townville last year. Easy, you just need 10 travellers minium. Call Virgin, Group Bookings direct. Or go on the Virgin website, under Group Bookings. There is a form to complete, email in, and they get back to you within a few hours. They offer 2 x 32 kgs of luggage FREE, (and if you want an extra piece, this is $15 extra). You pay $50 per traveller within 7 days of booking, and the balance is paid about 1 month before. Names do not have to be in till the month before flying. They also allow (within the same booking) a 'breakaway' if someone in that party wants to return home at a different date). Easy peasy :) :)

About time bowlers woke up to the lack of get up and go at TBA level for the benefit of Individual & Team travelling COSTS. Consider the National Tournament Expense Fees every entry pays, which have been in excess of $28000 yearly at Rooty Hill. Where does this go.???? Lorraine McLoughlin works as a Travel Agent maybe she can offer some advice.

Agree but what, as bowlers are we going to do about it?

I organised ATBSO's flights to Townville last year. Easy, you just need 10 travellers minium. Call Virgin, Group Bookings direct. Or go on the Virgin website, under Group Bookings. There is a form to complete, email in, and they get back to you within a few hours. They offer 2 x 32 kgs of luggage FREE, (and if you want an extra piece, this is $15 extra). You pay $50 per traveller within 7 days of booking, and the balance is paid about 1 month before. Names do not have to be in till the month before flying. They also allow (within the same booking) a 'breakaway' if someone in that party wants to return home at a different date). Easy peasy :) :)

I guess it "Easy peasy" if you are prepared to do the leg work. I really do wonder what the TBA do on a day to day basis. I mean surly a major tournament like this would be on their radar as to how to keep cost down?. I tell you what, the TBA is sounding more and more like government every day.....no accountability:rolleyes: .

Back
Top Bottom