No WA Rachuig Team 2013 - is this really in the best interests of the sport?

WA Bowlers have been saying for many years why cant we have the Nationals in W.A.
Eastern States bowlers, you may have a winge, but this is an estimate of costs that a WA player would be looking at:
Flights $1022 (as at today, Qantas)
Accommodation: 7 days $420 ($60 a night iflucky, sharing with a few others)
Transport: $150
Challenge Shirt: $70
Training/Travelling shirt: $60
WA State Jacket: $120
Lineage, photos etc, TBA Costs (which are are charged to the bowler): $200 estimate
Total: $2042
And that doesnt include your meals and drinks. Or, your weekly cost for practice, your All Events Entry or Masters Entry !
Now, before you shoot me down in flames, I know these facts as I have had the pleasure of bowling Rachuig a few years ago.
WA TBA provides a shirt, the players can do some fundraising, but it is still pretty heafty cost to travell away and represent your State.
A sincerely hope that we can send away a WA team, local players or draft players, but before you get on your soap boxes and have a go at WA, just remember what WA players are upagainst.
Brenda Kirkwood

Brenda,
I spoke to a few people at Nats last year and the general feeling was that people would be very happy to go to Perth. For that to happen though, one of the centres has to put in a tender. It's as simple as that. If the centres don't ask for the tourney, it won't go there.
Us guys in NQ have very similar costs to the more remote states plus the added expense of flying to Brissy most years just to roll off, so I know where you are coming from with costs. This is, to me, both a holiday and something special to be a part of. It's not just another tournament to most of the people that bowl - this is part of the reason it's still going after 50 odd years. Rooty Hill was a special case with the sponsorship, I'd love to see a major sponsor come on board and allow the tourney to move from State to State like Holt/ATBSO.
Anyway, this is a great part of the world for a holiday, spend some extra time here and enjoy it.

What if TBA were able to arrange a one-off deal with an Airline, where 10 members from each State traveled on the same day, arriving at Brisbane and then have everyone on the same plane into Townsville ?
You would have a great media story at both Brisbane and again at Townsville. Would be a great opportunity for bowlers to receive cheap fares and a promotional opportunity for The Nationals, TBA and the Airline as well.
Here in NSW each year there is an Elvis Festival held in the town of Parkes. They always manage to get a news spot on mainstream TV by the Organizers having all the Elvi's board a train in Sydney.
I think you could do similar with bowlers in their State gear, all assembled at the airport. You might end up with an exceptional deal from the Airline

What if TBA were able to arrange a one-off deal with an Airline, where 10 members from each State traveled on the same day, arriving at Brisbane and then have everyone on the same plane into Townsville ?
You would have a great media story at both Brisbane and again at Townsville. Would be a great opportunity for bowlers to receive cheap fares and a promotional opportunity for The Nationals, TBA and the Airline as well.
Here in NSW each year there is an Elvis Festival held in the town of Parkes. They always manage to get a news spot on mainstream TV by the Organizers having all the Elvi's board a train in Sydney.
I think you could do similar with bowlers in their State gear, all assembled at the airport. You might end up with an exceptional deal from the Airline

This would require organisation, funny that, an organisation with no organisation. Is that an oxymoron?

This would require organisation, funny that, an organisation with no organisation. Is that an oxymoron?

The TBA " its the Governing body you have when you don't have a governing body" LOL

What it might actually require would be for someone to write up the proposal and send it to TBA or their State branch along with an offer to volunteer some time to coordinate the various State teams, put the proposal to the airlines and coordinate the process.
Could even be more productive than sitting on an internet forum slagging off at the governing body.
Expecting crickets, ofc.

To keep accommodation down, I think most the rachuig teams need to have three or four people in a room instead of just two because this is where it does become expensive.

I managed to find accommodation in Townsville for roughly $746 for four nights. This room fits five people so I got a group of five together and now are only paying $143 each for the four nights. And only 11km from the bowl.

There is definitely ways of keeping the price down, just a lot of research needs to be done. I think I looked at close to 20 - 30 hotels before I found the one I did.

What it might actually require would be for someone to write up the proposal and send it to TBA or their State branch along with an offer to volunteer some time to coordinate the various State teams, put the proposal to the airlines and coordinate the process.Could even be more productive than sitting on an internet forum slagging off at the governing body.
Why should we do what for free what they get paid to do?.

What it might actually require would be for someone to write up the proposal and send it to TBA or their State branch along with an offer to volunteer some time to coordinate the various State teams, put the proposal to the airlines and coordinate the process.
Could even be more productive than sitting on an internet forum slagging off at the governing body.
Expecting crickets, ofc.

So many people with so many supposedly good ideas wanting to do so little.
And people wonder why the sport is dying.

Lot less effort needed to be couch critics i suppose.

Expecting crickets, ofc.

In the 1970s, I was NSW Manager of CAMS. I had 2 office staff plus some volunteer advisory panels - Racing, Rally, flag marshals, etc., etc.

I, or one of the staff organised this type of thing, transport deals, accomodation etc., purely as a matter of course. No big deal. We did it without mobile 'phones, e-Mail, or even a fax machine. There weren't any.

We paid our staff by raising our own money. No Government grants then.

In the late 70s we bought a business in Cairns, and my wife, who was Federal secretary of the Veteran Car Club of Australia, which was an entirely voluntarally staffed organisation, took the job and it's responsibilities with her, and from there organised all the travel and accomodation for all delegates from all states and territories for Federal Conference meetings ( usually held in Sydney )

She also arranged, from Cairns, all the travel and accomodation for 3 delegates to travel to England and Ireland for meetings and functions of the International Body.

Yeah Yeah, I know. Can't do that sort of thing to-day, because... well, It's because....well someone must know why....Surely ???

I agree, TBA should be doing this. If people don't go because of costs the sport suffers, we suffer... But it seems TBA don't care otherwise they would do something. Maybe someone wants to privatise Rachuig and sort this out? The tv deal with FOX should pay for the flights for everyone and also the entry fees :)

So many people with so many supposedly good ideas wanting to do so little.
And people wonder why the sport is dying.

Lot less effort needed to be couch critics i suppose.
No sweat, I've contacted the correct TBA Dept already, have to wait and see if there is any interest in pursuing the idea

Good, bout time someone got out of there recliner and did something

Very true chin. Therefore Id like to nominate Mistagear for President of "FBBB" For Bowlers By Bowlers. This could be a new governing body that actually does something for bowlers. Do I have a second for the nomination?
No sweat, I've contacted the correct TBA Dept already, have to wait and see if there is any interest in pursuing the idea
Don't hold your breath

Docta, You should not nominate a volunteer to a position with a title. The moment someone has a title they begin to work towards protecting the position instead of the job they volunteered for.

fortunately there are still plenty of people out there willing to volunteer there time without the "whats in it for me" mentality

Ah negativity. Another good reason why this game is fading
Chin I didnt just wake up in the morining and think to myself " mmmm I think ill hang S%^T on the TBA, its from pass experiences having dealt with them and their state rep's. If they want my vote then they should start doing something for the sport that would warrant my membership. I would gladly pay a $500 yearly membership to a governing body as long as I saw it was driving the sport into the right direction but right now the membership is not worth the paper its printed on and im sure their are others out their that agree.

The moment someone has a title they begin to work towards protecting the position instead of the job they volunteered for.

I was simply stating that i think you would be good for the job, as i've seen more good ideas come from your post than i've seen in the history of the TBA.

I was having a light hearted joke.
I dont mind throwing a few ideas in for people to look at (and to accept logical criticism) , I dont mind helping with the occasional project, but I dont personally feel the need to be given a position or title. Pretty sure all the people currently representing TBA offered themselves for the right reasons but it does often go a little pear shaped after people have held positions for a while. Have seen it occur many times in both sport and business, so is something people should be aware of before they fall victim. Just my opinion.

Docta, the problem is, if you/we want to change how things are done, you/we have to engage with the people who are currently running the sport. Its less likely that these officials will engage in meaningful discussion if they are only copping a bagging. We need to come up with positive ideas and concepts to replace some existing ones, rather than just be negative on what is already an accepted practice.
I do empathize with your frustration on some things, but change, if any will always be slow, and a softly softly approach will make more ground than only pointing out short comings.
Currently this forum is not achieving any changes to the sport, if we want changes we need to reach out to TBA and engage with them. That is about the only way we will see something happen.
I'm personally asking you, in the best interest of Bowling as a sport, to please be just a little more conciliatory with how you are voicing your views on the long term problems of the sport.
Regards,

Expecting crickets, ofc.
Great idea Robbie, I'll get that sorted for everyone while the organising bodies don't.... Hey wait a minute, something just isn't right there? I have my own business to run with employees, machinery, customers, etc. Why aren't the people in their respective positions doing the things that need to be done? That's how my business works and has done for the last 15yrs, I don't expect others to do my job because that's my job. If you take on a position/role, than bloody well go and do it!!
Crickets are good bait for fishing I believe.

A member of the Executive is investigating the options and possibilities. Lets give credit for their prompt action on this matter and for being available to listen. Give it time, we'll see if something can be done.

Back
Top Bottom