The Sate Teams are gonna love this one..

This isnt a requirement that TBA has set, its apart of the World Anit Doping Agency policy. The link to the document is:

http://www.wada-ama.org/rtecontent/document/2009_Prohibited_List_ENG_Final_20_Sept_08.pdf

FIQ is actually the one who has set this requirement, and was created to "Establish rules for the uniform practice of bowling throughout the world", and bowling isnt the only sport who has limits on alcohol during competition.

Just another example of poorly informed bowlers who love to hate on TBA.

Just reading this paper and see that Beta-Blockers are also banned for tenpin bowling. I don't understand the drug names, but Mr buckley could let us know if some of these drugs are in more availible over the counter and are in some things that we use now?

From what I understand Beta-Blocker help to slow the heart rate and settle nerves?

I think Shayne got it right in his first post...do you want Ten Pin Bowling to be taken as a sport or a pastime..... It is not that big a deal...a lot of people face this kind of thing on a daily basis....I'm a truck driver = zero alcohol or no job (let's not get started on the zero drug's issue...thc???)....plenty of work sites out there that are exactly the same.

You should not be too worried though...it will probably be like the no smoking hoo ha....the rule will be in force but how ridgidly will it be enforced....

As a non drinker in general I would not be affected by this that much.

However knowing that a lot of my fellow competitors enjoy a drink while bowling league or maybe before or after then yes this will become an issue.

However saying this I am yet to see a drug tester turn up at my local alley when I have been bowling league (in all my years in bowling).

Now as others have said if you want our game to be treated as a legitimate sport then we have to adhere to the policy just like motor racing (although with lesser restrictions and rightly so), softball and any other sport for that matter.

Just like bowlers have to compete in an event without a cigarette in between these days why should alcohol be any different.

Now whether someone should be banned for indulging while bowling in league that is a major question. Are they there as a social or competitive 'animal'? This is the grey area that needs to be properly defined.

Also if the league you are bowling in is not 'TBA' registered then what happens then? I would suggest that the testers could be rightly told to disappear without the risk of a ban, but with WADA who knows.

This will not affect regular league bowlers.

It is my assumption that to be tested, an athlete has to be part of ASADA's Registered or Domestic Testing Pool, neither of which the regular league bowler is, unless they have been State or National reps with this sport or registered with ASADA through an alterative sport.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rob

Hey Shayne. Beta blockers legitimate uses are mostly something associated with heart conditions. Quick search found:
Beta blockers (sometimes written as β-blocker) are a class of drugs used for various indications, but particularly for the management of cardiac arrhythmias, cardioprotection after myocardial infarction (heart attack), and hypertension.
The interesting part is:
Anxiety and performance enhancement
Some people, particularly musicians, use beta blockers to avoid stage fright and tremor during public performance and auditions. The physiological symptoms of the fight/flight response associated with performance anxiety and panic (pounding heart, cold/clammy hands, increased respiration, sweating, etc.) are significantly reduced, thus enabling anxious individuals to concentrate on the task at hand. Since they lower heart rate and reduce tremor, beta blockers have been used by some Olympic marksmen to enhance performance, though beta blockers are banned by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).[11] Although they have no recognisable benefit to most sports, it is acknowledged that they are beneficial to sports such as archery and shooting. A recent, high-profile transgression took place in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, where 50m Pistol silver medallist, and 10m Air-pistol bronze medallist Kim Jong-su tested positive for the Beta-blocker, propranolol.

So did you want one bottle or two for Gladstone? LOL

So let me see, I fear I am unable to come to grips with this right away - someone help me please. Here are but a few examples [yes, yes there are hundreds of "what ifs" but I'm a simple fellow so I need to keep this simple].....

1. If I'm bowling for Australia in an FIQ tournament there is zero tolerance ...this is common sense surely.

2. If I'm bowling in Rachuig - again zero tolerance, which would be right I'd think - once again common sense applies.

3. If I'm bowling in my qualifying squad in a ranked national Open event - what is the situation? I assume zero tolerance..which I guess also makes sense.

4. If I'm bowling my B grade doubles at the Nationals, State or City Championships - then go to lunch before I bowl in my teams event that afternoon - and have a glass of wine with my lunch - am I in breach of this rule? If yes is the answer - then I'm not sure THIS makes sense.

5. If I'm bowling in a sanctioned league at Robbie Buckley's place in Townsville - and I have a beer mid game - am I in breach of this rule? If yes is the answer then this is surely a nonsense! But I assume "yes" is not the answer?

If zero tolerance applies when and where it should - based on the application of common sense and targeted to ward off the abuse of certain stimulants at the upper end of the sport - then surely this ruling of zero tolerance is simply logical...and June's comments and those of others along a similar line underscores the logic. I'd trust such is the case..I guess someone will set me straight.

Thx

According to the TBAL Anti Doping Policy, it applies to all members.

From Said policy:

'ARTICLE 3 SCOPE
This Anti-Doping Policy applies to:
3.1 Athletes;
3.2 Athlete Support Personnel;
3.3 Members;
3.4 Employees and contractors of TBA; and
3.5 Any other Person who has agreed to be bound by this Anti-Doping Policy.

8.3.4 Substances Prohibited in particular Sports – ALCOHOL (ethanol) is prohibited In-Competition only, for Tenpin Bowling. Detection will be conducted by analysis of breath and/or blood. The doping violation threshold (haematological values) is 0.10 g/L.

12.1 Submit to Testing
All Athletes must comply with any request for Testing by an Anti-Doping Organisation with Testing jurisdiction, including ASADA.
12.2 Standards for Testing
Anti-Doping Organisations with Testing jurisdiction shall conduct such Testing in conformity with the International Standard for Testing in force at the time of Testing.
12.3 Selection of Athletes for Testing
12.3.1 Where required by WTBA, TBA or a Major Event Organisation, Athletes shall be selected for Testing In-Competition in accordance with the applicable rules of WTBA or the Major Event Organisation.
12.3.2 Notwithstanding any other regulations, ASADA may test any Athlete, any time, anywhere, in accordance with the Code, the ASADA Act and the NAD scheme.'
From Definitions:
'Athlete means any Person who participates in sport at the international level (as defined by each International Federation), the national level (as defined by each National Anti-Doping Organisation, including but not limited to those Persons in its Registered Testing Pool), and any other competitor in sport who is otherwise subject to the jurisdiction of any Signatory or other sports organisation accepting the Code. All provisions of the Code, including, for example, Testing and TUEs, must be applied to international- and national-level competitors. For the purposes of this Policy, „Athlete‟ includes any participant in sporting activity who is a Member of TBA, or a Member organisation of TBA, and meets the definition of Athlete under the Code and/or the NAD scheme as in force from time to time.'
'Competition means a single race, match, game or singular athletic contest. For example, a basketball game or the finals of the Olympic 100-metre race in athletics. For stage races and other athletic contests where prizes are awarded on a daily or other interim basis the distinction between a Competition and an Event will be as provided in the rules of the applicable International Federation.'

TBA have chosen to apply the FIQ rule to TBA events. Dunno whether they have the option not to. But, from my interpretation of the above, it applies to all TBA sanctioned competition, but practicallyyou won't get tested unless you are in a State or National squad. In which case you may be tested at any time, and if it happens to be in comp and they detect alcohol, doping ban.

So Steve, I guess technically it is 'yes' to all 5 of your questions.

In order to protect our athletes from possible unintentional violation of this patently ridiculous requirement, we probably won't sanction any of our leagues next year. Problem solved, and I am not alone in seriously considering this solution.

Here is the full policy, for anyone who wishes to go over it in detail.

Attachments

• Tenpin ADP ASADA Policy Version number ADP-1208-6.pdf
    629.8 KB · Views: 9
I've never been much good at plowing through bulky legislation of any sort Rob so I'll leave the heavy reading to others who's brains work better than my own in such matters. However, if as [I think] you say, the requirement and the application of the process is limited to elite competition, then I assume few would argue with the logic of it.

If the "intent" of the procedure, as I note above, is to ward of the ill use of certain stimulants and their possible impact on the outcome of competition - then this makes perfect sense to me. If on the other hand the procedure "expands" and by so doing filters down beyond where it was first intended to have the prescribed impact - then this is a nonsense and could have a very real and negative impact on certain commercial realities of the business and industry...clearly you're the last person I need to suggest that to Robbie. But I'm sure this situation will remain in check -I'm positive those in the positions necessary to control this discipline understand full well the responsibility they have in managing such legislation and limiting it's impact.

a sport ,no to a shandy with my interstate mates after a hard day of competition as a non drinker it wont worry me to much, but hang on a minute, sport and recreation ? doping policy BUT WAIT alcohol is a LEGAL substance , nobody wants this sport to become better ,drinking during competition absolutly not! but a beer with the guys youve played against for the last 30 years ,not on if you have to have 00000000.oooooo1oooooooo tolerance the next day bugger off, i spose if your in charge of a car with peoples lives at stake yep, no problems oh yeh .05 but thats not bowling is it

Im also unhappy about the timing of this release.
Potential State Team Bowlers should have had the option to fully debate this policy and make their decisions prior to nominating.
With less that a month to the start of the Nationals they can hardly withdraw now, its a case of sign or be dammed.

Im also unhappy about the timing of this release.
Potential State Team Bowlers should have had the option to fully debate this policy and make their decisions prior to nominating.
With less that a month to the start of the Nationals they can hardly withdraw now, its a case of sign or be dammed.

You obviously know nothing about this, nor have read anything anyone else has put up. This has always been a requirement and has been set by FIQ (the global governing body). TBA may have a slight say, but they cant just drop a rule that FIQ has given to WADA to enforce. This isnt about what you want, its about what Tenpin bowling needs, and not just for the tournaments you participate in, but for bowling in general.

Personally, I think it's great for the sport in national/international comps. I can see tho that the ill feeling is more towards the September 2009 update where the alcohol clause was added and the low level allowed. The fact a pilot can fly to a point of .019 but a bowler will be disqualified and banned for .01 seems to upset a couple of people for some strange reason... A tester during practice at 8:31am could probably find a few bowlers with residual alcohol from a team "bonding" night, false readings from a bottle of Listerine and you better not breath too heavily when the tech cleans the approach!

Here's one for you, as alcohol is on the WADA prohibited list, is the pro-shop guilty of trafficking a prohibited substance to athletes in competition if it sells you a bottle of ball cleaner :D

For those concerned about themselves, find out if you are in the registered pool of athletes that are to be tested.

ETA:
Bearing in mind, there's no problem if the testing used is a blood sample. That would eliminate the false readings given by mouthwash, cough syrups and diabetics etc.

RIP Rachiug 1963-2009, Coz people just wouldnt leave things alone......

Thats where it'll end up if people dont get there noses out from where they're not welcome

Detection will be conducted by analysis of breath and/or blood.[/COLOR]

If you are a bowler competing on the national stage I would doubt you would be drinking while bowling even while bowling in league. But if you are then I would have to wonder if you are really quite so serious.

The detection of alcohol would be a 2 step process. First would be a breathalyser and if that is positive then a blood test would be conducted, just like the police do.

If you have not had any significant alcohol intact, i.e. you didn't get smashed the night before or we're up late drinking. I'd doubt you would be over the limit.

While I was doing archery we had the same requirement to be alcohol free. Can anyone say with a straight face you should have alcohol in your system when shooting.

You obviously know nothing about this, nor have read anything anyone else has put up. This has always been a requirement and has been set by FIQ (the global governing body). TBA may have a slight say, but they cant just drop a rule that FIQ has given to WADA to enforce. This isnt about what you want, its about what Tenpin bowling needs, and not just for the tournaments you participate in, but for bowling in general.

Hamish you need to get your facts right before you post. The alcohol clause was added in September of this year and handed down to the State Offices of TBA this week.

Hamish you need to get your facts right before you post. The alcohol clause was added in September of this year and handed down to the State Offices of TBA this week.

Im sorry but you need to get your facts right.

As per the WADA prohibited substance list valid from the 1st January 2009:

SUBSTANCES PROHIBITED IN PARTICULAR SPORTS
P1. ALCOHOL
Alcohol (ethanol) is prohibited In-Competition only, in the following sports. Detection will be conducted by analysis of breath and/or blood. The doping violation threshold (haematological values) is 0.10 g/L.
• Aeronautic (FAI)
• Archery (FITA, IPC)
• Automobile (FIA)
• Boules (IPC bowls)
• Karate (WKF)
• Modern Pentathlon (UIPM) for disciplines involving shooting
• Motorcycling (FIM)
Ninepin and Tenpin Bowling (FIQ)
• Powerboating (UIM)

Im not sure how long this has been apart of the prohibited substance list, but correct me if im wrong, January is before September isnt it?

This highlights TBA hasnt made this decision, FIQ, the global governing body has. If you want a link to the WADA substance list, look back in a previous post of mine in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom