No WA Rachuig Team 2013 - is this really in the best interests of the sport?

Guy D

enjoying life under my rock
So I've heard that the TBA committee from WA have announced formally that WA will not send a Rachuig Team to this years event. I post not knowing if this is fact and to ask;

Fact or Fiction?
Best interests of the sport or Personal Agenda?

Rachuig may have been in decline over recent years but it still has a place in the game, if supported. Will this be the start of the end for the 50 year old event?

Is every state not required under TBA policy, licensing etc to field a team?

Love to read your thoughts.

I certainly hope this isn't true as the tournament is already struggling and if states cannot field a team then it will only bring our sport closer to disappearing. I know here in the NT we are struggling as not all our best bowlers will put their name down to roll off (yes myself included but I have good reasons why I cannot be part of it) all for their own reasons and I imagine this must be the case in WA if the rumour is true.

I really enjoyed my previous rachuig experiences and to see it disappear would be devasting for the sport in our country.

Whilst I hope this isn't true, it would not surprise me if it is.

The ridiculous financial impost that WA has had to bear to send teams away over the last decade and a half has to have a flow on effect at some stage. Until the more remote states like WA receive assistance to field their teams, they will find it more and more difficult to field teams.

Years ago, I was part of Motor Sport administration in Australia, ( CAMS.)
There was a system for some limited activities which worked like this:-

Each state sent it's paid accounts ( for specific defined expenses ), including travel, to Head office.

These were totalled and that amount divided by the number of states.

Head office then refunded money to some states and invoiced others, so that each state outlayed the same amount.

Irrespective of the reasons there are a few known facts:

There are bowlers who have nominated for the WA team
Presumably these bowlers did so knowing the financial cost to them
There is still a good 6 months until the nationals, the decision that is in THE best interests of the sport would be to re-open nominations, promote the opportunity still exists and do EVERYTHING possible to field a team, even if the draft system was utilized (and that helps others out too).

What reason has TBA of WA given for their decision 6 months out from the event?

Hence my question - best interests of the sport or personal agendas?

Continue with the east cost policy (myth or not) for nearly 15 years with no assistance. Like Brenton said. Not surprising.

If it is indeed true that WA have received nominations but are still reluctant to field a team, TBA should consider its options regarding the WA State Board.
There will be many great bowlers available through the draft, and by not fielding even a majority draft team WA is also denying bowlers from other States the right to compete at this level.
Queensland for instance will probably have enough bowlers to fill the WA team twice over and whilst all of those Queensland bowlers would obviously prefer to bowl for their home State, a great many would leap at the chance just to bowl in this competition.
Rachuig is struggling for many reasons and a State withdrawal does very little to help resurrect what was once the Premier event in our calendar.

There will be many great bowlers available through the draft, and by not fielding even a majority draft team WA is also denying bowlers from other States the right to compete at this level.

Wouldn't be a WA team then would it.!!

I don't see the point. Rachuig should only be state of origin!!

I personally do not know the reasons behind WA not sending a team as i was not in attendance at the last few state meetings. I know several people from last years team have other arrangements for October/November and thus did not nominate. On average (since 2005 anyway) i have paid in the vicinity of $1400-$1700 PER YEAR to bowl Rachuig (this is only for rachuig!!! Most of our rachuig teams for the past 5 or so years are made up of youth players, so double this amount for those guys every year). Whilst i do enjoy the event, for me having bowled 6 rachuigs, this about $8400 - $10200, thats alot of money to outlay when it could have been spent elsewhere....

This year, i have decided to spend my money going away to the USA instead. For the same price it costs me to go to Rachuig every year, i am able to compete in the World Series of Bowling (maybe a few hundred more). The cost for WA bowlers to get to Townsville is astronomical (flights alone costing OVER $650). This is by no means Townsville's fault, it is just simply geographically impossible for us to get there cheap enough (i would guess this years costs would be $1700 MINIMUM).

I personally believe there are only 2 solutions to this problem...............1) Nationals goes to each state once in a continuous cycle (NSW, QLD, VIC, TAS, SA, WA, NT, ACT & repeat) OR, 2) every other state contributes funds to the remote states like WA and NT to assist with the costs of having teams go over if the nationals stay in the "golden triangle" for it entirity. The first solution will cause problems for TBA because not many people want to travel for 4-5 hours on a plane to come over to WA, and thus entries will plummet. The 2nd option will also cause problems, because people will say "why should we have to fund them" and then you wont have a team go over.

I don't believe there is an easy solution, however, where there is a will, there is a way....................

To put it simply, for us travelling from NT and WA it is too costly to get to townsville (or just about anywhere in the country from where I am). I competed in the Australian Open this year and my trip cost me $66o for airfares, $180 for accomodation (3 days), $260 entry fee (as expected when bowling a big event), $200 (roughly) for food and drinks and I have to pay one of my mates my share for the hire car still which I'm guessing is around $100. So that was for a 3 day tournament, imagine what it would cost me to compete in Rachuig and Nationals. So with everyone else paying similar to get there how many will actually be prepared to fork that out.

I looked at flexi fares Airline Quotes to Bris in Sept. from each State.
Added all the quotes, divided by 7 to average. Rated QLD at the same rate as if from NSW.
Average was $330. If each team allowed only for 5 members.
NT players receive an each way allowance of $50
WA players receive $90
SA players receive $10
TAS players zero

VIC players pay additional each way $20
NSW players pay $65
Qld players pay $65

Most flights to Townsville go through Bris, so this seemed a fair way to align transport costs. Other expenses for the participants should be similar, only flight costs need to be made fairer for all.
If TBA levy fees from the States the payments could be collected and distributed appropriately without much drama

Is that counting players from Alice Springs for the NT because average flight costs for us is alot more than 330 there and back. Especially by the time we get the money together to book the flights after knowing if we are in the team or not. It's easier from Darwin as like I've stated in previous threads they have multiple airlines to choose from meaning prices are going to be reasonable unlike ASP where we have Qantas or Qantas or Qantas. This means they can charge whatever rediculous price they want and if we want to travel we have to cough up cause there is no alternative except for tiger airways that travel to Sydney and Melbourne now since re-opening last week but that won't help when we need to get to townsville.

This is why I could not be part of the NT team last year. I have a a wife and baby boy to provide for so that must be my 1st priority and without the financial aid whether it be from the NTTBA or TBA myself and anyone in a similar situation is virtually no chance of making the trip and it's disappointing for me as I have enjoyed Rachuig so much in the past.

Sorry I got a little rushed with that last post and made it a little too much about my own personal situation. My point though remains it is the financial cost that is making it so tough to send a team over from our remote states. I don't know what happens in the way of funding in WA but here in NT the last time I was in the team in 2010 we received very little assistance in obtaining funds to travel and compete and I believe the state committee should be organising as much as possible to make the trip more financially comfortable for everyone involved whether it be through sponsorship, fundraisers etc. and utilize the team members for running the fundraising events. If these things don't happen the bowlers will be finding it hard to put the money aside to get there and thus end up with no team.

Most importantly if there are bowlers that have nominated then there really is no excuse for the state committee to not have a team represent there state. If the bowlers are available and making the effort the state committee should be supporting them (just to get right back to the point of this topic).

we get nothing here mate. We need to apply to any government or council for any assistance ourselves as individuals, and because we are adults, we dont usually get anything. Our juniors get anywhere between $50 and $200 i think from local councils, but im pretty sure Rachuig players get nothing.

Wow Matty
That's rough, the NTTBA usually set up some fundraising. I think the WATBA should offer some support as like I said if the bowlers are available and keen then the committee must try and raise some funds to assist the bowlers travelling. Don't know the exact situation there but from what I have experienced here the committee must do everything in their power to get a team away as like a few have said the prestigious event is slowly dying. Not all of the best bowlers from each state are involved anymore (I'm talking about NSW mainly) and of the bowlers that are always keen some are finding it harder and harder to obtain funds for the trip.

I don't know the exact answer to the problem but I do hope the states struggling are doing there best to try and fix the problem and on top of that I hope the TBA would be willing to offer their assistance to any struggling states if they approached them.

we get nothing here mate. We need to apply to any government or council for any assistance ourselves as individuals, and because we are adults, we dont usually get anything. Our juniors get anywhere between $50 and $200 i think from local councils, but im pretty sure Rachuig players get nothing.
I work at local council and they definitely provide funding for adults as well. I would ring them up and have a chat to them about it.
Also I know in the past my council has given me money for Australian Teams and i was an adult.

I work at local council and they definitely provide funding for adults as well. I would ring them up and have a chat to them about it.
Also I know in the past my council has given me money for Australian Teams and i was an adult.

Bec, each state operates differently. Ive been applying for funding since i was in Juniors, i got it for the first year i bowled youth and then no more (i was 17 when i applied for the youth grant). Fundraising is organised if the players wish to do it, but most dont.

It ain't easy being a bowler in WA or NT is it. :p

Maybe one day in nthe near or far away future things will get more feasible for us. Until then I guess we have to suck it up and work with what we have got.

Back
Top Bottom