Is Rachuig the best system

Look at any sport, such as a footy match. It is not uncommon for a new player to get barely 10 minutes on the ground for the entire match. If they are young and inexperienced, or not required for the team plan, then they'll remain on the bench, only to get a few minutes of junk time near the end. Does this stop him from training his heart out and coming back for more next game?

Fast forward a few years, and that same player is playing as a regular in the team. And he fully deserves it, because he's trained hard and become the best he can be. Making the team all those years ago was a great achievement, but it did not gaurantee him any game time. Now, with his patience and persistence, he's reached a level that makes him a vital part of the team.

Paul has summed it up best really. It would be totally against the plan of any team to pull off their best player, with the game in the balance, simply because they must fulfill their minimum games.

Sure, it's disappointing for that player on the bench. But their goal should be to come back next year, as an even better player. In years to come, when they are one of the best players in their state, it will be all the more satisfying that their sacrifices and hard work have paid off.

Send away 5 bowlers for a 5 man team. The minimum games situation is eliminated. Everyone bowls all 18 games. No whinging from the substitutes where poeple are complaining about not getting any games. Reserves can be used if a bowler sustains an injury and can no longer compete.
Just an idea.

Later Da Cowman!

Crawf said:
Look at any sport, such as a footy match. It is not uncommon for a new player to get barely 10 minutes on the ground for the entire match. If they are young and inexperienced, or not required for the team plan, then they'll remain on the bench, only to get a few minutes of junk time near the end. Does this stop him from training his heart out and coming back for more next game?

....Except a footy player doesn't have to pay $1500+ to play in that match (or to sit on the pine) do they?
They are paid by the club in most instances to play the game.
That's possibly the difference.

There's been a lot of good points raised in this thread so far.
How do people feel about taking 6 men and 6 women away?

The problem with having only a 1 person 'bench' by having 6 on the team is there is less cover for injury/illness etc.

This year NZ had only 6 men due to financial reasons, and our plan was to give everyone 5 games on day 1, then see how it went. It worked well for us this year, but we were lucky in that we didn't have any major injuries/illness/lack of form to contend with.

But FIQ rules require 6 of a maximum 7 bowlers to bowl at any time, and FIQ adult tournaments are 24 games, not 18. Given the standard set at FIQ level, personally I don't have a problem with restricting Rachuig lineups to 6 bowlers. But this is something I believe would need to be decided by an official bowlers referendum of some sort.

David.

yes well, have to say i agree with most of 'experienced' guys comments on here (trotts, mac, brenton). rachuig works just fine the way it is. rachuig is the highlight of the bowling year, and you want to be able to go away and give your best, and hopefully at the end of it all the result takes care of itself. in my first year i only bowled 6 games, but our overall result was that we lost the mens division by 1 lousy point, the next year i bowled 18 games and while this was more personally satisfying, we finished no where near the top - it is a team tournament and the year before was much more enjoyable.

some of the better points so far.

- i too would be extremely disappointed if i was scoring well and was forced to sit out just to get someones game count up
- a rule like this would definately disadvantage the smaller states who sometimes don't quite have the depth to have 7 bowlers of quality
- bowling a small amount of games certainly makes you want to work on your game and come back better for it and make a bigger contribution to the team in years to come.

Overall, i say without hesitation leave rachuig as it is.

Back
Top Bottom