Old Scoring systems

Ice

What scoring system was in place when you first bowled???

I was reminiscing today got to thinking bout the scoring system that was at the centre when I first started bowling. It was manual scoring, a little glass score sheet on the scorer's desk which you manually wrote the scores in which was then projected onto a projector screen above the lane. I still recall the day they put the automatic scoring system in at Cairns as I happened to be in for practise and was the first person to use it. Gees things have changed alot since then.

When I was a kid many years ago, my parents took me to bowling in Toowoomba and they had the projector screens there. You only ever burnt your hand on the glass once cause once was enough! Later on when I joined a league, they had put in the manual scoring system y then which was a shame in one way as you couldn't draw pictures to be shown to everyone up there on the projection board nay more. :D

Hi Lana
You are not alone, I remember the manual scoring system and also the squash courts where lanes 1 to 8 are now!! And do you remember the skating rink next door. (They turned that building into a church~must be something about saying your prayers before you bowl! :rolleyes:

Green pencil on glass ( projector ) at the old Dandy Bowl.

Gary............................................:cool:

I remember mine. Sugar Coast Lanes, Maryborough. Started with Pencils on Projector Screens then progressed to Felt Pens (I refused to score was left handed and kept smudging the scores).

Finally they upgraded to the old clayfield semi-scoring system.

Hmmmmm the memories........

Lana,

I remember the scoring system that was written in felt pen onto the glass and projected onto the overhead screen. Although I didn't bowl at the time, I remember watching Mum and Dad bowl and I used to do the scoring for them.

I also remember the scoring system at Redcliffe bowl that would allow you to print at the lane onto silver paper that would come out of a small serrated slot, which you would tear off.

Rachel

At Clayfield, white pencils on glass projector screens - fences, sex spots, drinks etc. etc..... and the endless cigarettes stuck in the ash trays next to the screens - then 2 up after league on the floor in front of the control !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and that was after we bowled jackpots for hours on end at 20c game (many a game was not paid for ! (confession time, Mr. Sheehan !).............those were the days!!!!!!

Flower

When I first started at Moonah they had the old glass projector score sheets with the white pencils which were used for leagues and tournaments - those things used to get damn hot after awhile.
The outer casing on the head of the projectors used to have the lane numbers on them, painted in orange, and had a Bob Howlett Towing Service advertisement stencilled in black on them too I remember.
They had the metal ashtrays in each side and orange dots with the pin numbers in correct formation on them to tell you how the pins were set up.
Social bowlers were given the scoresheets with lead pencils to score with.
These were all ripped out and replaced in 1985.

Mornington had the same setup, I've still got one of Mornington's old score sheets around here in a box somewhere, they replaced the projectors with manual computer scoring in 1990 - eg: instead of it automatically scoring on the screen, you had to enter each frame on it - >< for a strike, 9 0 for a 9- etc.

The old Kingscourt Lanes - now Launceston Bowl - had the projectors up until about 1995/96, I know when I bowled a tournament up there in 1995 they were still using projectors with white pencils, and two years later had computer scoring down in the settee area.

Burnie had the projectors and white pencils until at least 1997 when I last bowled there, and were replaced sometime after that, and that centre's now gone.

Devonport was still using projectors and white pencils until 1997 at least, and now have computer scoring.

Seeing the way many bowlers simply don't know how to keep score these days, I often wonder how they would've handled it back in those days - maybe they would've been forced to learn - who knows.:)

It's not just the matter of knowing how to score, but knowing how to score. OK, enough of the puns.

Back in those days a 300 was so rare the manager would offer to give the bowler the glass from the scoring table (with the 300 game written on it) as a momento! I'm sure Shane Woods still has his I think and I think my old mate Wayne Elyard still has his 296 glass which he bowled in Juniors.

Matty I don't know what you're on mate :p :p , but I am certain computer scoring came in at L'ton before 95! Tassie may be behind the times, but it wasn't quite that bad! Just talked to my dad and he said at the latest it was 93, he remembers setting the centre up for the install (he was manager at the time). It seems like a long time before that to me... but I guess I have to take his word! The first computer scoring we had here was something with a black background and white writing and grids...

I found it very hard to believe that it was that recently that Devonport went to computer scoring. But dad seemed to agree with you! How time flies...

Kase,

What are were you thinking, Fech wouldnt know or remember what happened yesterday, let alone what happened 10+ years ago! :p :p :p

True. Too much beer over the years for my father is the problem I think.

I would be interested to know from Brett or Ash when they say computer scoring was put in at Devonport. I swear I never rolled off for Shield in a centre that didn't have some form of computer scoring!

Hey what's your name:confused: oh yeah...Scott isn't it!!:) I might have a bit of grey matter on top.....but the grey matter inside is still working ok! And Kassey dear....no need to have a go back at me for that photo I posted of you:eggface:

K-C said:
Matty I don't know what you're on mate :p but I am certain computer scoring came in at L'ton before 95! Tassie may be behind the times, but it wasn't quite that bad! Just talked to my dad and he said at the latest it was 93, he remembers setting the centre up for the install (he was manager at the time). It seems like a long time before that to me... but I guess I have to take his word!
LOL thanks Kace!!
Actually you've jogged my memory a bit on this one mate ;)
Your dad took over running Moonah in around late '94 or early '95 after Kerry Waldie left.
I know definately there were projectors in '93 Shield Roll-offs because I remember people like Errol Harrison, Merrilyn Dangerfield, Mr Aitchison from Devonport (who's son Duane was rolling off that year) and quite a few others scoring for us that year.
And I remember a Shield training session up there that year when an old colleague of yours, one Dave 'Robbo' Robinson shot a 73-game in training :lol:
I know that because I scored it.
That was Robbo's last year in Shield, he'd made the team and his employer, Repco wouldn't give him time off work, so he couldn't go, and he was really pissed off about it.
I remember the last time I bowled there when they had the projector scoring I copped a verbal warning for belting a projector during a tournament.
So it may well have been '94 they put them, but like I say, I'm pretty sure I bowled at least one Inter Association there with projectors, but it may well have been something else the previous year.
So around the '94 mark would probably be right.

K-C said:
The first computer scoring we had here was something with a black background and white writing and grids...
I found it very hard to believe that it was that recently that Devonport went to computer scoring. But dad seemed to agree with you! How time flies...
Yes! I remember those ones - they were in little TV screens down in the settee area, I've got footage of them in a tournament I bowled up there in '97.
Just on Devvo, last time I bowled in the place was the '96 State Masters and it was projector scoring. I never bowled in the place again until the night before this year's Rachuig trials, so it was sometime after '96 they went in.
Got video footage of projectors in use at Burnie in '97, and I've never been there since, so it would've been after that sometime.
I feel kinda old now remembering these things Kace..LOL :-\"

Gday Andrew...
You are spot on mate...we put in Brunswick AS-80's back then....I still have the callouses from all the jackhammering during the over-nighters that we put in installing the damn things and what a nightmare we used to have with the cameras!!!!! They were the rejects from MT Druitt!

Back
Top Bottom