AMF centres enforcing TBA membership!

michael, i respect shoeys comments & yours you both most of the time make lots of sense & yes i have spoken to someone from tbal & yes the reply was we need more money, well that doesn't sit well with me
you like writing a lot tell me in the last 2 years what advances TBAL have made to promote the sport & pathways for bowlers reach representative level
i read all the time from the die hards about how good the tbal is & the good things they are doing, fill me in mate, as for golf you are both wrong membership money go the the club for which you are a member & the pay the affiliation fees the the PGA promotes the sport & had in place programs for the aspiring future golfers
bowling has dedicated coaches like shoey, myself & hundreds of other coaches who devote their time to improve bowling in australia with no assistance from the TBAL with that i mean no program yet a level 2 coach told me a lot of the coaches really do not know how to coach correctly in order to bring bowlers to a representative level, perhaps i'm one of them i wont tell you my reply LOL. but i asked where is a coaches manual that coaches can use to fill the TBALs expectations or the national coach
let me know michael
just for your information a coach

Hi Peter

I think in the past year things on the coaching fron have improved
quite a lot froma TBA stand point
I have run many Level 1 courses and helped people develop some
skills and I too have learnt stuff from some of them
In life my experience tells me you never get everything you want
but you can work towards improving things allong the way

The current Level 1 progrm offers heaps of imformation on the DVD
and the on lane stuff actually does show coaches how to teach
bowlers the basics as well as recognise other faults in their game

I am sure we can do things better , but we can't do it alone, we need the help of people with experiences of their own to contribute and even give back to the game that has been good to them , not just financially.

Michael asked THE question

"What do people want or expect for their $29.50"
It is a great question to ask rather than say
"What do I get for my $29.50"

shoey you might have seen a program i havent it doesbt take that much money we have a national paid coach his job to write the program he feels is the right one

About 8 to 12 months ago, We held a Level 1 / Instructors Course at Kingaroy. Every person that participated in the Program received a manual. I Recall as Far Back as ATBC when I first sat my Level One I received a Manual. I still have it today. Do I use it not often , perhaps not , but to say that no program exists is incorrect. TBA and TBAQ are Constantly improving the programs that they have and that takes time and money.

I have rang both our State Office and National Office regarding information on certain programs / Manuals to assist with both our center and association and they have been forth coming.

At the Nationals I made a single comment regarding a particular ball drilling that I had not seen and Received more information for Chris Baston then I could possibly digested before the end of the time :)

These people What to help.. Need a Program.. Ask... Need to update your skills sit a course.. Think the current program could be improved offer your comments.

My experience has been to date, that if I ask there are people willing to help. NOW some times it is not the quickest turn around but that is due to the small number of resources that the offices have.

michael, i respect shoeys comments & yours you both most of the time make lots of sense & yes i have spoken to someone from tbal & yes the reply was we need more money, well that doesn't sit well with me
you like writing a lot tell me in the last 2 years what advances TBAL have made to promote the sport & pathways for bowlers reach representative level
i read all the time from the die hards about how good the tbal is & the good things they are doing, fill me in mate, as for golf you are both wrong membership money go the the club for which you are a member & the pay the affiliation fees the the PGA promotes the sport & had in place programs for the aspiring future golfers
bowling has dedicated coaches like shoey, myself & hundreds of other coaches who devote their time to improve bowling in australia with no assistance from the TBAL with that i mean no program yet a level 2 coach told me a lot of the coaches really do not know how to coach correctly in order to bring bowlers to a representative level, perhaps i'm one of them i wont tell you my reply LOL. but i asked where is a coaches manual that coaches can use to fill the TBALs expectations or the national coach
let me know michael
just for your information a coach

lol, this all starting to become a bit chicken and the egg, I am not here to stick up for the TBA, as I dont always believe best practice has been completed at all times on various things, but in regards to what have they achieved over the past two years, you know as much as I do and most other bowlers in the country. What comes first, progress in the sport by magic or building a membership base to develop progress within the sport and try to repair and rebuild from previous damage? It all has to start somewhere.

The TBA person you spoke to is probably right, it takes money to develop programs and there just isnt enough money to spread around, people have to remember whichever membership you decide to join up to, that money gets spread around as much as possible between programs, distributed to states, promotion of the sport, running expenses, etc etc etc.

And this probably address your comment too Frank, what sport can you join and participate in on a competition level where it is okay if you dont become a member, register with some sort of organisation that runs and covers that sport. And by competition, I mean league and above. Membership shouldnt have to be sold, it should just be commonplace and it almost becomes an attitude thing that is so common place within bowling, whats in it for me, I dont get anything for being a member and nothing has been done in the past.

If we use the golf analogy again, how much is a yearly membership and then think of how that membership is dilluted through to various parties all the way back to the PGA. What percentage goes where and how is it used, does the club take the biggest cut to maintain administrative, promotion and maintenance costs and privelidges, does the rest go to the PGA and then they distribute funds to state bodies for lower level sport development? Obviously golf has a higher profile than bowling and can attract more corporate sponsorship, so perhaps the PGA isnt so reliant on its percentage of registered golfing members around the company, but the principles are still the same and should be looked at on a comparative level.

I read a few articles earlier this year about the difference between golf and bowling from back in the day and how bowling was a more popular sport for a long time.

I honestly cant think of another sport where if you wish to compete at a competition level, that you arent required to register or become a member.

Pete I agree more should be done and could be done and things are slowly being put in place, but realistically nobody should expect an overnight solution.

So again, my question is what do realistically expect to provided with from a membership fee so low that isnt already provided?

lol, this all starting to become a bit chicken and the egg, I am not here to stick up for the TBA, as I dont always believe best practice has been completed at all times on various things, but in regards to what have they achieved over the past two years, you know as much as I do and most other bowlers in the country. What comes first, progress in the sport by magic or building a membership base to develop progress within the sport and try to repair and rebuild from previous damage? It all has to start somewhere.

The TBA person you spoke to is probably right, it takes money to develop programs and there just isnt enough money to spread around, people have to remember whichever membership you decide to join up to, that money gets spread around as much as possible between programs, distributed to states, promotion of the sport, running expenses, etc etc etc.

And this probably address your comment too Frank, what sport can you join and participate in on a competition level where it is okay if you dont become a member, register with some sort of organisation that runs and covers that sport. And by competition, I mean league and above. Membership shouldnt have to be sold, it should just be commonplace and it almost becomes an attitude thing that is so common place within bowling, whats in it for me, I dont get anything for being a member and nothing has been done in the past.

If we use the golf analogy again, how much is a yearly membership and then think of how that membership is dilluted through to various parties all the way back to the PGA. What percentage goes where and how is it used, does the club take the biggest cut to maintain administrative, promotion and maintenance costs and privelidges, does the rest go to the PGA and then they distribute funds to state bodies for lower level sport development? Obviously golf has a higher profile than bowling and can attract more corporate sponsorship, so perhaps the PGA isnt so reliant on its percentage of registered golfing members around the company, but the principles are still the same and should be looked at on a comparative level.

I read a few articles earlier this year about the difference between golf and bowling from back in the day and how bowling was a more popular sport for a long time.

I honestly cant think of another sport where if you wish to compete at a competition level, that you arent required to register or become a member.

Pete I agree more should be done and could be done and things are slowly being put in place, but realistically nobody should expect an overnight solution.

So again, my question is what do realistically expect to provided with from a membership fee so low that isnt already provided?

AND !!

I don't know of another Sport that allows me to bowl
in a competition with the worlds best, when Im not in
his league so to speak

Can't imagine me saying , "Hey Tiger, want a game of Golf "

In Bowling Pay your membership, join a league or enter
a Tournament and you can bowl and compete with anyone
at any level !!!

Not bad for $29.50

QUOTE - "In Bowling Pay your membership, join a league or enter
a Tournament and you can bowl and compete with anyone
at any level !!!

Not bad for $29.50"

how true is this???????????

i think the bottom line is - pay the membership fee, get the benefits already advised, which will give the TBA the cashflow it so desparately needs, will also give it a greater membership number to demonstrate to ASC for greater grants. which in turn means more money and flows onto more programs for bowler benefits. it really is that easy.

BTW - Peter, I have not seen and program, but am utilising one developed by someone else who has consulted many in the process. i have also been pushing NSWTBA, Geoff Sara and Chris Batson to schedule a coaches forum where we can all get together and discuss things to develop a system where we are all on the same page, it is a work in progress. having everyone available at the same time is the biggest issue.

hi geoff, appreciate your comments i am not talking entry level coaching i am refering to the level required to bowl representative bowling in this regards there are many coaches with their own styles of coaching which might be good for this country but not necessarily good for international bowling as witnessed by the world championships recently & all those bowlers were very good but couldnt cope with the international lane patterns that is why we need uniformity in coaching to bring us to this level & chris is the only one who can implement the program as national coach, i would pay if necessary
but we need UNIFORMITY in coaching

hi geoff, appreciate your comments i am not talking entry level coaching i am refering to the level required to bowl representative bowling in this regards there are many coaches with their own styles of coaching which might be good for this country but not necessarily good for international bowling as witnessed by the world championships recently & all those bowlers were very good but couldnt cope with the international lane patterns that is why we need uniformity in coaching to bring us to this level & chris is the only one who can implement the program as national coach, i would pay if necessary
but we need UNIFORMITY in coaching

Hi Peter

This is fundamentally one of the direct outcome expectations of the State Based Training Squad, In Each State
Chris wants to have input into all these Bowlers who wants to represent
the State and Australia to ensure they understand what is ahead of them AND All coaches have been invited to attend so they can learn more and in turn these coaches can coach their bowlers the new things they need
to focus on so when they do represent they are competitive across
more aspects of the game including lane conditions and equipment

What also happens at these days is coaches get to show what they are good at coaching and ask for help in areas they are not so good at, that is how we all learn from each other and do a better job for our Bowlers we are trying to help

Cheers
Geoff

I mentioned the words AMF a few pages back, get rid of those words and 9 pages of arguments get 'cut down' to about 2!! Rock 'n Bowlers (in my humble opinon) who dont get it it can only poison the industry.

Excuse me if this question has been asked before,but is it only certain states that make it compulsory for bowlers to join the TBA? im suprised they didnt enforce this nationwide??

Hi Glen,

All states must join except for NSW and Qld.

I think AMF's idea is a great incentive to support the National Body.
In our effort to also assist TBA to significantly increase membership participation,
Werribee Superbowl is offering all Werribee Superbowl league bowlers who
take out 2011 TBA membership the following benefits:
  • 2 free practice games
  • One free TBA accredited coaching session
These benefits are in addition to the TBA membership benefits.

The value of the Werribee Superbowl and TBA benefits combined is, in itself, worth more than the cost of the annual TBA membership. If the sport is going to thrive in the long term, it simply must have a professional, financially viable National Sporting Organisation that will work collaboratively with the industry to grow the sport.

Doriana Porto
Werribee Superbowl

I may be missing something here but why do NSW & Qld. not have to "join"?

I think this may be incorrect. Please correct & explain it to me.

Rob

I don't know about NSW but QLD bowlers do not have to join the TBA.

It goes back to some agreement that Qld had with the TBA many years ago.

I don't know the exact details but I am sure someone from Qld could fill us in.

I don't know about NSW but QLD bowlers do not have to join the TBA.

It goes back to some agreement that Qld had with the TBA many years ago.

I don't know the exact details but I am sure someone from Qld could fill us in.

I dont know where that came from, the Qld office has no knowledge of any agreement regarding AMF membership. At least not in the last 20 years.

I dont know where that came from, the Qld office has no knowledge of any agreement regarding AMF membership. At least not in the last 20 years.

Andrew, I think he was referring to TBA not AMF.

The statement was "I don't know about NSW but QLD bowlers do not have to join the TBA"

Rob

The reason there is currently no stipulation to join for AMF bowlers in QLD and NSW is I believe due to the fact that not all Independent centres in these states have signed up to the agreement to enforce TBA membership on their league participants.

It would be poor business sense for AMF to enforce their league bowlers to pay the TBA fee when not all their competitors have agreed to do so.

Obviously we need those Independent centres to come to the party and sign up to require their league bowlers to pay a TBA mebership fee so that it is across the board at all centres in the country.

We need all bowlers in this country to lobby their centres to come on board.

Actually I think the QLD and NSW gap was due to competing membership organisations being available. AMF declined to enforce TBA membership when their bowlers may prefer to join TQI (apologies if I have that wrong) or GSTBA.

In Melbourne, the independents AND the other organisations all signed down to come under the one United banner, which is why it is all happening down there.

If I haven't alread mentioned, I'm all for it.

That sounds like the most plausible explanation Jeff, hopefully all of us can come under the one banner, one day.

In Melbourne the former competing associations of the CTBAM and MTBA have merged to form the United Tenpin Bowling association (UTBA). I believe a vote will be put to the associations members within a couple of weeks to decide if they accept the terms put to them in talks with the TBA.

If UTBA do not come on board then AMF will not force the issue with their league members in Melbourne.

I do not think the existence of the GSTBA would have an impact in NSW but the existence of TQI could be a factor in QLD. Honestly though the number of bowlers the TQI and GSTBA associations represent probably will work against them.

Hi Terry,

You say that AMF will not force TBA memberships if UTBA members vote NO....do you know what Goldpin centres will do if the vote is no??

Back
Top Bottom