AMF centres enforcing TBA membership!

Just that there is a large population out there who don't want or need to join - the little old (and not so old) ladies that like to get together once a week over a cuppa and scones and throw a ball down the lane.

Its a balance, these old ladies might want to know the benefits of insurance cover, especially if some of them arent as good on their feet as they used to be. Lets face it bowling centre approaches are not the safest surface to be on when you are 60 70 or 80 years old. And for the not so old ladies, they may want a lower practise rate to improve their game so they would also want to know the benefits of becoming a member.

At the end of the day no one can force anyone to join the tba, but if no one is trying to increase numbers we cant complain if we get nothing in return.

so pray tell me is there anyone from the TBA going into the Centres explaining the different levels and benefits of membership - like in the old days - WHEN EVERONE WAS A MEMBER.
The run of the mill bowler these days knows very little about the Sports governing body and the benefits

YES, I may be tipping the hand slightly but it's obviously relevant. TBA have developed a short DVD about membership and are working with the states to have membership personnel trained up and AMF are on board.

At next years league meetings, you should see someone selling membership who knows what it's about.

It always used to be mandatory to play league. I don't see what the issue is and was frankly appalled when I came back to bowling to see that it wasn't. Any wonder we're in our current moribund state.

It always used to be mandatory to play league. I don't see what the issue is and was frankly appalled when I came back to bowling to see that it wasn't. Any wonder we're in our current moribund state.

Couldnt agree more. When i came back a few years ago, i was shocked too!

As have stated earlier, it should be compulsory and totally agree Jason.

Completely agree Jason - in other sports it is mandatory to join an association to play. ALL People who play in a league should pay (the very small) TBA membership. If it was charged when they joined the league before they bowled the first game ( as in other sports) it would not be questioned.

I remember years ago it was COMPULSORY to be an ATBC member to bowlin a league! For such a small price to pay as many have mentioned already, it is great value on all levels, compared to other sports.

I have played circket for 26 years (retired this year) and last years membership to the local association, which is compulsory and includes 3rd party insurance was $340.

A very small price to pay and I strongly feel ALL league bowlers should be a TBA member. Our sport needs to cashstream and only improvements can come from such i think.

My post from a few days ago FYI

Just wondering what would happen if, say, you played in a social golf group. You know, the ones where a few mates get together and play once a month & have a bbq afterwards? It may be a season thing where there's a few trophies at the end (I, myself have been a member of such a group)? Would you stay in the group if the golf club you played at forced you to join the VGA (Victorian Golf Association)??

Just wondering what would happen if, say, you played in a social golf group. You know, the ones where a few mates get together and play once a month & have a bbq afterwards? It may be a season thing where there's a few trophies at the end (I, myself have been a member of such a group)? Would you stay in the group if the golf club you played at forced you to join the VGA (Victorian Golf Association)??

That is a totally different scenario. The example given is not a 'league'. If you joined the golf club as a participant in a tournament or a 'member' (league), Yes you would be charged a joining fee. A very expensive one too.

As an analogy to the example given, if you and a group of mates just happened to turn up to an AMF centre once a month and bowled you're own personal games, and then go have a BBQ. No AMF would not force you to join TBA because as far as they are concerned you are just a bunch of social bowlers (that just happen to turn up together, once a month).

Oranges with oranges, I suppose.

I used to be in a Social Golf club for years, we had probably 60 members, travelled all over Sydney, to play on a Sunday, unfortunately some Golf Courses had restrictions on Women playing on Sundays, so obviously we never played at those courses, but we paid No Registration Fee.

willey

That is a totally different scenario. The example given is not a 'league'. If you joined the golf club as a participant in a tournament or a 'member' (league), Yes you would be charged a joining fee. A very expensive one too.

As an analogy to the example given, if you and a group of mates just happened to turn up to an AMF centre once a month and bowled you're own personal games, and then go have a BBQ. No AMF would not force you to join TBA because as far as they are concerned you are just a bunch of social bowlers (that just happen to turn up together, once a month).

Oranges with oranges, I suppose.

But social bowlers pay social rates, no guarantee the the lanes would be oiled either.

But social bowlers pay social rates, no guarantee the the lanes would be oiled either.

Not sure I understand what your trying to say here

Come on people we can all Bag the TBA, me included if you want.
there have been examples of not so flash treatment of indivuals
and the game by both the TBA and AMF in recent years. I think and
hope this is changing and personally I think we all should be members
of the national association

What WE as individuals want from our association is another matter and those issues should be raised and taken to the Association to be
discussed.

The point is I am not aware of another SPORT that you can participate
in a Competition "League" etc without being in A association.

Social play is another matter completly and generally speaking most Centres Oil or prepare lanes late afternoon for night leagues and many used to prepare them twice a day to cater for Morning Leagues

It is also a pretty low fee to pay each year when you compare with others
Golf fees are very expensive, so too is Cricket

Lets hope it works and membership gows again and we can get back
to having a good and strong association that serves the SPORT

I think one of the Real Issues.. is Perhaps the League Bowlers perception of themselves.. While the Monday mornings ladies may consider themselves a "Social League" as the nature of there competition is very much about participation they are still in fact bowling an organised competition.

In our center when I do our yearly Why we have an Association and Championships and Why we join TBA etc etc I often get the response that "we are just social." I guess In the past particular before computer scoring the Competition side was perhaps more easily recognized by participants. As League Sheets where filled in on the score table etc and Standing sheets done etc etc..

Now it is very easy for bowlers to come in bowl and not really see to much of the competition side as it is all done on the computer score. I have some ladies that bowl that would have probably not even looked at a standing sheet for the whole season .. I am considering printing recap sheets for my bowlers to fill in so that they perhaps see that they are part of an organised competition.

Just my thoughts.

I guess it is easy for us as we are a very small center But all our members join. We have not Social Leagues. To be part of our Association Team next year and to take part in any of our development and coaching programs you must be a silver member.

How are you going to enforce it?

League is created. They approach management of the centre and ask if they can bowl there. Manager informs them they need to be TBA. They just tell him to f--- off and go to another venue.

Without every centre in Australia enforcing it compulsory membership just wont work.

Once upon a time it used to be compulsory and we were told if we didn't pay in the first 4 weeks we lost our points......

Look, I know this is going over past history, and the majority of people, even at the time, even more so now, had little or no knowledge of just what went on to make the ATBC fold up.
The ATBC ( which did have, as many on here have said) virtually full membership, badly -very badly - let it's membership down. It abused the trust and support of it's membership, on a number of levels.

This didn't give TBA ( which is the only body a large number of to-day's bowlers know) a very good start in life. It was behind the 8 ball then, and still suffers from the failings of it's predecessor.

I know some people can find all sorts of small minded and self absorbed reasons to not support the TBA. Frankly, it might be worth their while considering going and finding something else to do, and at least get out of the way and contaminate something else with their negativity.

This is where the good ol' saying "No sh!t Sherlock" comes in!

If you do not join as a member of a golf course you do not get member rates either.

But you missed the point anyways...

In the past Leagues always had the right to become Sanctioned or not, I do not believe that Bowling Centre's of today can Force anybody to Join, especially the low linage most Centre's have.

willey

Goodness, there sure is more to this than I imagined. I was somewhat involved in the demise of the ATBC and the establishnent of TBA, but these issues passed me by at that time. Regardless of the good / bad ATBC - and it certainly was from time to time both, with this history, pipe dream or not,we, the members, need to see if we can do something to help bring about an amalgamation / uniting of all these bodies.

I still don't even know who, what , or where, or indeed why they are operational.

I'm sure TBA must already be working on this.

Can some of us get together and see if first we can understand this situation, from the various points of view,and secondly if we can engineer compromises and solutions?

Can we actually do something other than just talk?

Anyone - what do you say?

Discussions continue between UTBA and Tenpin Bowling Australia

Until 2010, there were three organisations in Victoria offering a membership program; Tenpin Bowling Australia, Melbourne Tenpin Bowling Association (MTBA)and the Chartered Tenpin Bowling Association of Melbourne (CTBAM). In 2010 CTBAM and MTBA amalgamated to form the United Tenpin Bowling Association.
In 2010 discussions have been taking place between TBA and the United Tenpin Bowling Association Inc to create a partnership to more effectively service the needs of all bowlers in Victoria.
Throughout the year, discussions have been taking place to explore the feasibility of TBA and UTBA affiliating. TBA CEO Cara Honeychurch commented, “UTBA have always done an excellent job of servicing the needs of the league bowler at the centre level and provided a first class awards program. TBA through the Vic Tenpins branch has focused more on the tournament bowler and provided strong programs and pathways for bowlers looking to represent their State or country. The board and management of TBA consider the combination of the various strengths that both parties bring to the table will significantly enhance the quality of programs and services to cater for all Victorian bowlers.”
President of United Tenpin Bowling Association, Graham Pearson said, “The UTBA is committed to looking after the best interests of all bowlers. With this in mind we have been exploring the possibility of a partnership between ourselves and TBA. The UTBA would continue to look after the grass root, league bowlers and bowling in general in Victoria in partnership with TBA. The UTBA will continue to administer the awards program that Melbourne bowlers have enjoyed for many years. This is in no way a takeover by either side but rather a partnership to utilise and optimise the strengths each group possesses; the UTBA in servicing the needs of bowlers at the centre level and TBA focusing on the pathways for elite bowlers. We hope this may be the first step in uniting all Australian bowlers under the one umbrella.”
A final decision regarding the proposed affiliation is expected mid December.

http://www.tenpin.org.au/index.php?id=7&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=340&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=75fc0770d8

The above discussions are very encouraging but it is a pity it does not involve the country bowlers of Victoria. In the past, even when CTBAM was affiliated with TBA, country bowlers were discouraged to join by the constitution of VCTBA. Maybe this time around some common sense can prevail.

Rob

My Opinon any person who wants to bowl in a league or tournament must be a member of the sport of TEN PIN BOWLING end of story...........................

Back
Top Bottom