AMF centres enforcing TBA membership!

I think a lot of people would support joining the tba if they knew what some of the benefits were to them. So maybe the "selling" of it needs to be ramped up?

Like most things, if its simple to do or if it is done for them people will agree to do almost anything.

With that in mind why couldnt we put in place that all league members as of the first round of any league starting in 2011 become members of the tba and the payments are added onto the league fee every week to make it more affordable for everyone to join.

For those that arent memebers or have no idea what the benefits are see the link below. In my opinion the benefits pay for themselves easily over a year period and its a no brainer even if you were to bowl 1 time a week.

http://www.tenpin.org.au/fileadmin/...ation_Products_and_Pricing__Press_Release.pdf

The insurance alone is enough reason to get people to sign up, just ask anyone who has done a sporting injury in a competition that doesnt have insurance how hard it is to pay for everything yourself.

C'mon people rather that ask what your sports can do for you, ask what you can do for your sport. (ps i heard that somewhere) :)

Someone has actually spoken more than two words of sense in one post :eek:

at $27.50 for a league membership (even the $60 odd for the silver) is the cheapest sport I have been in.

Archery, you have to be a member of a club, who is a member of a state org, who is a member of the national org. cheapest membership there is $100

Shooting sports same deal.

$27.50 for a membership is nothing, even for a single league bowler who will spend over $500 in the year on that league.

As for selling the benefits, the main benefit is you get to compete in a league. No membership, no league bowling.

I paid %59.75 for the silver concession which is a little higher than says on the link :S
So i just did it, so how long they will send me the card? Is there any package??

I believe APBA are going to be pushing memberships too. Great idea and as Jase said we need to get behind and push OUR sport forward into the future. Yes it is cheap too. Try joining softball for 12 months = $250.00!!!

Standard membership also includes personal insurance cover etc so look into it people.

Cara is doing a great job @ steering the ship, we just need to shovel the coal!!!
It is not hard folks...really!

Passionate about OUR game.

Grant

what is the benefit of the silver over the league membership? What do I need if I would like to enter into a comp?

what is the benefit of the silver over the league membership? What do I need if I would like to enter into a comp?

Silver Membership Benefits:
The Silver membership fee offers all of the benefits of the League Membership product plus:
 Access to State Based Training Programs across Australia that are attended by the TBA National Coach
 Receive the exclusive offer with Virgin Blue. If you are travelling to a tournament with bowling balls and need more than the standard allowance of 20kgs, Virgin Blue allows you to travel with up to 45kgs for a heavily reduced price. Please note that the booking must be made through TBA’s preferred Travel Agent.
 Automatic addition to the National Rankings Program

I wasnt going to join the TBA this year at all,only because im a Tenpin Sydney member and didnt see the need to be in two associations,as i dont bowl in any TBA tournaments anymore. I only joined the TBA in 2010 because it is mandatory to be a TBA member to bowl in the Telstar doubles at blacktown,and also because i decided at the last minute to bowl in the Nationals this year.

As i wont be bowling in the doubles next year,and the other leagues i bowl in you only have to be a Tenpin Sydney member,unless AMF enforce the rule of being a TBA member next year, there is no need for me to join the TBA in '11 :)

Glenno,
Not an easy thing to do to me, but - you've done it. You leave me almost speechless.

One small speak only. How do you manage to bowl at all, when you're obviously too short-sighted to see to the arrows?

A few years ago from memory i wasnt a TBA member for one or 2 years in a row,due to the reasons i stated above,so its definatly not the first time i havent been a member. By no means im knocking the association,i felt it pointless being in two associations. I was always a Tenpin Sydney member because i was bowling in the Interdistrict competition in Sydney (as far as im aware you do not have to be a TBA member to bowl interdistrict), and also because i wanted to bowl East Coast Cup. (which you have to be a Tenpin Sydney member to compete)

If AMF do enforce the rule of being a TBA member to bowl league,then so be it ill join :) But at this stage im happy just to be a member of one association.

Im sure there are a lot of non Tba members who bowl league around the country,and there would be a few unsanctioned leagues as well.

I have purchased a Silver Membership for the last three or four years. I did bowl in the State Championships this year b ut apart from that have not bowled in any TBA Ranked events.

I believe AMF's initiative is a welcome one for our sport. Cara has been working hard at reengaging with the UTBA and other estranged associations to try to bring everyone back under the one umbrella. However the reason this is taking time is that when it does happen this time it needs to be done properly and in the correct way to ensure that all parties remain committed to the cause for the long term. The fact there are independent centres out there that need to be persuaded that encouraging there bowlers to pay this fee is a good idea, is not a bad thing at the moment. Let's all not forget what happened the last time the then ATBC had cart blanche on what happened with our membership fees. They went bankrupt enough said on that.

But for those who are still holding on to those dark days from the past be reassured that with Cara's experience and professionalism in the Accountancy and people management areas combined with the team she has gathered around her the need to be apprehensive about introducing an accross the board (Bowling Centre wise) TBA membership fee collection structure is no longer there.

I remember years ago it was COMPULSORY to be an ATBC member to bowlin a league! For such a small price to pay as many have mentioned already, it is great value on all levels, compared to other sports.

I have played circket for 26 years (retired this year) and last years membership to the local association, which is compulsory and includes 3rd party insurance was $340.

A very small price to pay and I strongly feel ALL league bowlers should be a TBA member. Our sport needs to cashstream and only improvements can come from such i think.

so pray tell me is there anyone from the TBA going into the Centres explaining the different levels and benefits of membership - like in the old days - WHEN EVERONE WAS A MEMBER.
The run of the mill bowler these days knows very little about the Sports governing body and the benefits

I suppose any Centre Manager worth their salt would make sure they are kept abreast of the latest news and have knowledge of the differences between the differing levels of membership (I mean, there aren't many levels!). Said Managers would also believe it their duty to inform all staff of these matters.

TBA do only have a finite number of resources, by the time someone could visit all centres in Australia it would be 2012 and they would have to start again. Let alone the fact that they would have spent a great deal of our registration monies in the process.

Hmmmmm.

no brainer for me..join your national organization 1st, and support the sport we love.
I remember being at a meeting with Warren Stewart and representatives from the then 3 associations in melb 10 years back and at that stage only 49 percent of leagues in melb were members of any association, so anything that creates membership of TBA preferably, and associations in general is good by me.
Gees surely $27.50 isnt to much. i dont know much else you can join for 12 months that cheap....my gym membership is like $65 a month and cricket costs me $150 for the 4 or 5 months that we play.
Great initiative...get bowlers use to being members of the national organization...it can only help to foster the sport.

Paul Trotter

Glenno,
Not an easy thing to do to me, but - you've done it. You leave me almost speechless.

One small speak only. How do you manage to bowl at all, when you're obviously too short-sighted to see to the arrows?

Jim

Never could happen LOL

I know Glenn pretty well, I have bowled with
and against him for years
He is not a dummy
Having said that I dont really understand why anyone would
not be a member of the TBA it is the only association
recognised by the Australian Sports commission

Ouch, let me pull the knives out before I say anything else!
I, for one, am all in favour of having just the one governing body, and I am definitely not knocking the efforts Cara is putting into turning the TBA around and making it a more positive organisation (even though some people who dont know me have already formed that opinion of me). Just that in the past (I know I should leave it in the past) the TBA is great for about the top 10% of bowlers who are heavily involved with tourneys etc. but not for the average Joe who likes to keep their competition strictly in league. Just that there is a large population out there who don't want or need to join - the little old (and not so old) ladies that like to get together once a week over a cuppa and scones and throw a ball down the lane. The UTBC has always been extremely prompt in sending out awards and answering any questions that may be sent to them, where I know last year, as the president of my league on Tuesday night, I emailed TBA on a number of occasions and did not receive an answer what so ever, and awards took 4 months to come...don't blame me for being a bit gun shy!
It was a good suggestion maybe to have that lower tier of membership for these type of people, as besides for the insurance they would probably never need to deal with the TBA at all.
Like I said - I am not against having the one National body, but I would like to see the average bowler looked after better! Sorry if I like to look at it from both sides!

Ouch, let me pull the knives out before I say anything else!
I, for one, am all in favour of having just the one governing body, and I am definitely not knocking the efforts Cara is putting into turning the TBA around and making it a more positive organisation (even though some people who dont know me have already formed that opinion of me). Just that in the past (I know I should leave it in the past) the TBA is great for about the top 10% of bowlers who are heavily involved with tourneys etc. but not for the average Joe who likes to keep their competition strictly in league. Just that there is a large population out there who don't want or need to join - the little old (and not so old) ladies that like to get together once a week over a cuppa and scones and throw a ball down the lane. The UTBC has always been extremely prompt in sending out awards and answering any questions that may be sent to them, where I know last year, as the president of my league on Tuesday night, I emailed TBA on a number of occasions and did not receive an answer what so ever, and awards took 4 months to come...don't blame me for being a bit gun shy!
It was a good suggestion maybe to have that lower tier of membership for these type of people, as besides for the insurance they would probably never need to deal with the TBA at all.
Like I said - I am not against having the one National body, but I would like to see the average bowler looked after better! Sorry if I like to look at it from both sides!

See, this is a circular problem. TBA's fees are low, to encourage people to join.... Because TBA's fees are low, their resources are severely restricted.... Because of their restricted resources, their service capability is strained..... Because their service is compromised by restricted resources, members see no reason to join...SO, TBA's fees are low, to encourage people to join,,,,,,,,,,Woops, that's where we started.
There's only one place to successfully break into this circle - and it's not with TBA providing services it can't possibly pay for. People must join, and Centres must encourage it. HOW to get this across? I wish I knew.
BUT, bowlers who should know better ( and are not the little old ladies tea and scones party ) should pay up - preferably with a silver membership - and stop hassling about 'benifits'.
All the other Sporting Bodies mentioned on this thread, and their 1,2,3,4 hundred dollar fees are what's normal out in the real world. How come only the TBA people are the only ones, apparently, who can produce everything for nothing?
So come on Glenno,(not having a go at you, really, but you were representative of a few), and others, It really isn't much to ask. There are no miracles.
We, collectively do it - or it doesn't get done.

Personally I don't see what the fuss is about with AMF brining in this rule. All leagues that I have bowled in at AMF centres past and present have done fundraising activities hence raising enough money so that the league pays the TBA membership fee for every league bowler.

Our Center Everyone Sanctions... Our Association has Also Take a Stand and Silver Member Ship will be required to Bowl Association Challenge. To Participate in our Coaching and Development days You Must Also be a Silver Member... We are only a Small Center with a Limited number of members. But we decided to start some where. We are trying to add extra value to the member ship of Silver so that people join at that level.. It is a bit like AMF Giving the 4 game Voucher and a One hour coaching Session to any TBA member.. Jim you are right TBA has limited Resources so it is up to other Players eg AMF, Independent Centers and Local Associations to add value to the memberships...

Regards Morty

Back
Top Bottom