AMF centres enforcing TBA membership!

Sort of annoys me that people threaten to drop out of leagues because of compulsory membership.

OUR MEMBERSHIP IS CHEAP COMPARED TO OTHER SPORTS. 30 bucks?! I spend atleats 4 times that amount on a night out at the pub. Geez. People need to get over it I reckon. Join, or don't bowl, simple.

Alot of interesting points being made here about this topic! I read this and think bowlers are not getting a fair go. But I think it has merit if the Collected sanctions fees are put to good use to develop this pastime as some call it and make it a recognized SPORT and support Bowlers representing Australia and not spend it on Admin fees and office space with views then I am for it!:)

Yes some morning or day leagues or any league fo that matter might have a problem in paying such a high price for sanctioning to bowl in an AMF centre However if someone came to the bowl from the TBA and introduced themselves to the league and let us BOWLERS KNOW what exactly we were going to get for our money we might no be so negative.
WE did this one year at International Doubles League Dandenong to MTBA, CTBAM and TBA and all 3 came:eek::eek: and gave us a run down on what we get for our money!!

It is unfortunate that VCTBA has not been approached Rob, But the press release states AMF centres will be sanctioning bowlers with the TBA. Maybe the VCTBA can contact bowlers and get their opinion on this matter and submit it to the TBA. Or the TBA can contact each country centre directly??
AS people state it is a cheap membership when you compare it to what others cost.

Lets hope in the end whatever happens our sport continues to thrive and more and more people enjoy the game of TENPIN
CHEERS
Ian Strahan

Most league bowlers have no idea why they should pay extra money toward start of a season for association costs. If we can enlighten them, then they will be a more happier bunch.
I had some guy after league this week, *****ing to me about this, I held my tongue (which was very hard to do) but it can really give many bowlers a sense of belonging, or perhaps a bigger picture of bowling in general... They may ask what do I get for my $20 or so, perhaps asider from patches or little badges???? Bowling centres need to be quick to answer league bowlers concerns here..But it also adds value to bowling in terms of perception amongst bowlers out there.

I think its great, I pay heaps for soccer and cricket association fees in comparison, let me tell u. $20-$25 a year, its nothing..
Peace.

Look .. the simple fact, with the average league bowler, is that times have changed. Us older long term bowlers and TBA members are 'thinning out'.

Sure, the 'Tournament' players know what's going on but cant seem to get it that they are in the minority!

The newer league players have no idea what the TBA is or what it represents! Most would be prepared to pay the required fee if they were just told what it was to be used for.

Like it or not very few realise that the various websites such Tenpin.org or Total bowling exist and as a consequence have no idea what's going on in our sport.

Why arnt these Websites widely publicised in all Bowling Centres?

I did a survey a while back and not one of the league members (in my league) had any idea that (at the time) we had teams representing Austraia overseas. And to make it worst our centre had two players in the teams!!

The TBA and the various Bowling Center proprietors must get the message across to every one, that walks through a bowling centre front door, that Tenpin Bowling is a competitive sport worthy of financial support!

Every time anything of note takes place it should be splashed across the whole bowling community .. for heavens sake why isnt it obvious that such publicity aides both the Bowling Proprietors' bottom line as well the sport's govening body membership!!

Wal is right 100%, the League Bowlers have to be Sold, not Forced. Information, Information, Information. When I started Bowling in the 60's there was a leaflet on the Counter extolling the virtues of joining the association. In the last couple of years I worked in Bowling Centre's, I couldn't even tell you where the SPC was being held or even which State the Nationals were being held, that tells you we have a Communication problem, this has to be addressed before Bowlers are forced to join the Union.

willey

Those wishing to Force things on Bowlers Should find out the Story on Mackay Bowl, The owner of the Centre wanted to Force all League Bowlers to pay even if they could not Bowl, the Bowlers went on Strike for 6 weeks and when it was resolved, the Centre lost 500 Junior Bowlers and hundreds of Adult Bowlers.

Force at you own risk.

willey

I have asked a few bowlers in the past few weeks and they said they have never heard of the TBA,however they remember the ATBC.
I think in the ATBC days its was compulsory to be a member to bowl league.

I had another big long post written and couldnt be bothered finishing it, but without membership the sport will not develop and it doesnt matter who it is bowling a league, but everyone who does so in any centre, independant, AMF or other, should be a registered bowler with the national organisation.

It wont work any other way and is just annoying you have dipsh*t people who want the world for nothing but want to do nothing to help.

Still a good step from AMF and as Casual Observer posted, until it is a blanket requirement with any centre for every league, then we cant progress forward.

I am glad to see the different conversations my post has bought out amongst the bowling fraternity, which is what I intended to happen.

What has been posted is that yes, obviously there is a need to join the TBA so they can keep up the good work of developing tenpin bowling around the country. As a few of the later posts have stated that we just need to see something out of the TBA for the majority of league bowlers who do not bowl in the upper echelon. 90% of bowlers just pay a fee and get the occasional patch, then wonder where their $'s are going.

I have never complained about the cost of joining the TBA, just value for money! $30 is nothing compared to the $500+ it costs to join a golf club. This year I finally hit my first 750+ series under the UTBA, and recieved a plaque at no charge. If we had of been sanctioned with TBA then I would have been $40 out of pocket - well, sorry, I just wouldn't have had a plaque to show my achievement. This is the point I am trying to get across!

As in one of the previous posts, UTBA & TBA are in talks to ensure that bowlers right across all levels in Victorian centres are looked after - this is what people need to hear!

I am glad to see the different conversations my post has bought out amongst the bowling fraternity, which is what I intended to happen.

What has been posted is that yes, obviously there is a need to join the TBA so they can keep up the good work of developing tenpin bowling around the country. As a few of the later posts have stated that we just need to see something out of the TBA for the majority of league bowlers who do not bowl in the upper echelon. 90% of bowlers just pay a fee and get the occasional patch, then wonder where their $'s are going.

I have never complained about the cost of joining the TBA, just value for money! $30 is nothing compared to the $500+ it costs to join a golf club. This year I finally hit my first 750+ series under the UTBA, and recieved a plaque at no charge. If we had of been sanctioned with TBA then I would have been $40 out of pocket - well, sorry, I just wouldn't have had a plaque to show my achievement. This is the point I am trying to get across!

As in one of the previous posts, UTBA & TBA are in talks to ensure that bowlers right across all levels in Victorian centres are looked after - this is what people need to hear!

In absolutely no way am I having a go at yourself or people who strive to achieve accomplishments within our sport and like to be rewarded with plagues, medals etc etc, and I not totally versed with reward recognition programs in other sports aside from those on a junior level, but citing your example of joining your golf membership, what does your $500 or whatever amount give you?

Do you get reduced rounds of golf or free entry in local comps, specials in the pro shop etc? Would be curious to know the benefits and compare apples to apples if possible across other sports as people are obviously still focusing on getting that plaque, patch or medal for their achievements and see this as value for their membership and that is fine, but I am unsure of what other sports national body supplies this on a regular basis ie going back to golf example, say you have a 12 handicap, and you shoot a below par round during a comp or your weekly round etc, does the club recognise this in any way as a significant achievement, let alone does the sports state or national body recognise this in any way?

I guess what I am trying to say is if people perceive receiving a plaque or pin or patch as reward, think constructively as to what those costs are to make and distribute, a plaque maybe $10-15, pin/badge $4-5 and patch $2-3, plus administrative and postage costs. If anyone as a member is only paying $27 for membership and they claim a few of these items each year, where does the money come from to cover it? I presume at the moment these types of awards need to be paid for seperately to the membership fee? And before people say the old ATBC used to cover these awards, including 300 rings, well they ran out of money and over indulged and it has been a struggle since.

So I am interested to know what rival associations, ie in Melbourne charge for their membership on a monthly or yearly basis however it is done and how many of these type of rewards are complimentary before you need to pay for them etc. If they are all free, then how do they cover it if everyone who was registered was to claim or do they have sponsorship to cover this etc?

So maybe the difference is that the state based associations or local associations are able to provide this membership based service possibly due to its members, fund raising, sponsorship and that is how its bowlers achieve their perceived membership value, whereas the TBA lucks out on perceived value for its membership fee because that membership money is diluted into so many other programs, development of the sport, state associations etc etc that the smaller state based associations dont have to bear the brunt of on a wholistic scale?

There is obviously a lot of scope that can be achieved but without an initial boost in memberships, well over and above what they have now, then the funds will continue to be stretched thinly as they are, hopefully the other associations can come on board soon one day and resources can be pooled, membership increased, continued sponsorship and backing from proprietors and the like and the sport can move forward.

michael, you shouldn't compare sports in golf when you pay your annual fees you do get reduced rounds of golf, you do get practice greens to improve your putting skills, you do get practice fairways & nets to practice your swing at no charge & for a fee above your annual fee you can play for free all year long (comp excluded) in snooker you can use the tables for free once you register. i don't think most people would mind paying their membership as we all want bowling to succeed but no one is seeing any benefits so the reason for the sceptisicm, i as a coach heve not received one bit of information regarding guidelines to coaching in line with tbal requirements or anthing else that would allow me to train people better so my benefits are zero.
please ezplain to me the role of the tbal & why its needed

I've played soccer and baseball and for my $100($35 uniform) and $350 (approx $50 uniform ??unsure of this one!) respectively, we received the right to play our sport and sports insurance!

Hmmmmm. Apart from the dollar amounts (and included uniforms), the benefits sound very familiar - albeit somewhat cheaper than soccer and baseball.

P.S. You all know where I stand on this issue, so I'll leave it there.

QUOTE - "michael, you shouldn't compare sports in golf when you pay your annual fees you do get reduced rounds of golf, you do get practice greens to improve your putting skills, you do get practice fairways & nets to practice your swing at no charge & for a fee above your annual fee you can play for free all year long (comp excluded)"

Firstly I have to ask, is $6 league rates as opposed to $14 social play rate not a reduce game charge as a competition bowler? hmmm my calculator must be broken the last time I checked it certainly was, which pretty much covers the argument of getting “reduced rounds of golf”.

SO I’ll compare the golf club near me to tenpin bowling, BTW the golf club rates were picked up from a website.

The golf club charges membership at $865 for non restricted membership (7 days); $715 for 6 day restricted; $590 for 5 day restricted. Priority into tournaments is given to non restricted members before being opened up to the restricted categories of membership. These rates versus TBA’s $62.50 silver membership I’d say I’m $527.50 better off on the lowest golf membership compared to TBA (that’s near enough to 96 practice games at current $5.50 rate).

Green fees are $23 weekdays and $32 weekends and public holidays for members (18 holes). AMF league practice rates are $5.50 every day of the week, so again I’m better off to the tune of $17.50 (or 3 more practice games).

For Golf Membership I get a club house to use the facilities thereof, a course that is maintained by qualified staff and a pro shop run by a PGA pro (who charges $50 for 40 minute lessons). I guess (not detailed on the website I was on) there is also an insurance policy protecting me from mishap whilst in and around the course and its facilities. Compare these to TBA membership per annum which gets me 4 free games ($22 in value) and 1 free coaching lesson (say $20) if I bowl in an AMF centre. There’s my membership money back to me straight away. Discounted games in ALL TBA registered centre’s, a comprehensive accident and sickness insurance policy coverage, ACCOR accommodation discounts, Europcar hire discounts. Upgrade to Silver and pay $62.50 and get all this and get access to state based training squads and Virgin Blue baggage concessions (all as per announcement on www.tenpin.org.au).

For apples to apples the TBA fee by comparison to golf membership is by far a much better option. In all reality there is no comparison, we are getting an NSO membership as cheap as chips. I really cant see any comparison, I’d much prefer to bowl and be in the warmth of a bowling centre in the dead of winter and the cool of a bowling centre in the heat of summer than freeze my behind off in winter and roast in summer as I walk 18 holes of golf and pay out a fortune for the privilege of doing so. At least the TBA membership will also get me discounted motel rates as I take my squad to tournaments, the golf membership doesn’t even offer me that for the money I’d be spending.

BTW I am a coach and I’ve gone out of my way to contact TBA, Chris Batson and others to find out what they want me to do and to help me formulate plans to do so. As a coach I support TBA to the fullest, I feel I have an obligation to do so as one who has volunteered to be accredited and to work with the TBA for a brighter future for our sport. Do I get frustrated at times? YES. Do I feel like I’m all alone doing what I do? AT TIMES, YES?

But knowing I have a group of 20 juniors that I coach who are the future of our sport and watching them improve week after week and take on board all that I teach them far outweighs everything else.

Come on people, this thread has now had 73 posts and 3078 views over what realistically is a nothing cost when compared to golf. Support your NSO so they can put things in place to be able to better support you, its members.

michael, you shouldn't compare sports in golf when you pay your annual fees you do get reduced rounds of golf, you do get practice greens to improve your putting skills, you do get practice fairways & nets to practice your swing at no charge & for a fee above your annual fee you can play for free all year long (comp excluded) in snooker you can use the tables for free once you register. i don't think most people would mind paying their membership as we all want bowling to succeed but no one is seeing any benefits so the reason for the sceptisicm, i as a coach heve not received one bit of information regarding guidelines to coaching in line with tbal requirements or anthing else that would allow me to train people better so my benefits are zero.
please ezplain to me the role of the tbal & why its needed

Pete, with you I agree to disagree lol, I think Shoey summed it up reasonably well.

I can go to a golf course and hop on for a round, obviously subject to availability and not be a member and still get access to practice greens, nets etc etc before I play. I play my rego and weekly game fee to play indoor soccer and outdoor soccer and the only priviledge I get is to play my weekly game and insurance to cover for injury. This rego or membership fee allows me to belong to the Northern NSW soccer but I am unsure if this affords me any benefits, only because I am too lazy to check. But the point is that this information is clearly listed on the TBA website.

The reason for my post is that I am wondering what people want for their membership fees and what they realistically think is achievable for the fee paid? I still think people want something for nothing in comparison to the fee payable for membership. Some of the benefits for members ie within silver membership for tournament bowlers are good and have a purpose, basic level of insurance is common place. I guess the trick is to work on the other 80% of bowlers out there who only bowl league and use the game as a get together for friends and those bowlers newly joining the sport, what benefits should they receive, hence some questions from my previous post above. And then what is a reasonable fee for membership to cover these services and how would this compare to other similar style sports.

I think in general some of the older possibly ex members of early TBA and ATBC are still living in fairyland where their $15 yearly membership entitled them to umpteen rewards, 300 rings, plaques etc etc when in reality this was found to be totally unrealistic and unsustainable and membership has been dwindling since. But that was what bowlers were used to and they expect it to be maintained.

I think Pete that there are some programs and guidelines being put in place, but it takes time, it takes funds to develop and when was the last time you contacted anyone in the TBA to discuss things? I know people dont always receive a response to their enquiries. In regards also to previous discussions we have had about having to pay for coaching courses and the like, do you think that these courses and future development would cost more or less if more people were to become members of TBA and therefore more funds were available to subsidise these costs or eventually make them zero to the coaches out there?

I think even trying to find a happy medium from wants to basic requirements will be a struggle for the above reason and people should just understand that membership to a NSO regardless of what it is for the current sum paid with the benefits available is bloody cheap. Only until associations merge or join together and more members register and more funds become available will programs to benefit the sport begin to appear.

Excuse me if this question has been asked before,but is it only certain states that make it compulsory for bowlers to join the TBA? im suprised they didnt enforce this nationwide??

Glenn it has Never been compulsory to join and it Never should, you have to go out there and Sell. How would you like compulsory Unionism in the Workplace? This is Socialism.

The first 300 shot at the old Fairfield Bowl was bowled in an unsanctioned League about 1964, it wasn't till 1990 before Fairfield had thier first Sanctioned by Don Pring, so imagine how the guy felt in 1964 did he Sanction after that, I don't know but I bet he wished he was.

The benifits of joining must be sold, if there is any benifits? I don't believe any money collected should be given to the Chosen Few to pay for trips or accomadation or anything else, those days are gone, in fact they never were.

willey

michael, i respect shoeys comments & yours you both most of the time make lots of sense & yes i have spoken to someone from tbal & yes the reply was we need more money, well that doesn't sit well with me
you like writing a lot tell me in the last 2 years what advances TBAL have made to promote the sport & pathways for bowlers reach representative level
i read all the time from the die hards about how good the tbal is & the good things they are doing, fill me in mate, as for golf you are both wrong membership money go the the club for which you are a member & the pay the affiliation fees the the PGA promotes the sport & had in place programs for the aspiring future golfers
bowling has dedicated coaches like shoey, myself & hundreds of other coaches who devote their time to improve bowling in australia with no assistance from the TBAL with that i mean no program yet a level 2 coach told me a lot of the coaches really do not know how to coach correctly in order to bring bowlers to a representative level, perhaps i'm one of them i wont tell you my reply LOL. but i asked where is a coaches manual that coaches can use to fill the TBALs expectations or the national coach
let me know michael
just for your information a coach

QUOTE - "as for golf you are both wrong membership money go the the club for which you are a member & the pay the affiliation fees the the PGA promotes the sport & had in place programs for the aspiring future golfers"

as you say, if $800 membership for golf is used for affiliation fees to PGA (the Golf NSO) who in turn promote golf and put in place programs for aspiring future golfers then surely it stands to reason then that TBA should be charging the same membership fee to put in place such programs, hello no one will pay. For $29.50, and all the benefits, TBA will generate revenue to be able to commence this sort of programming as well. its a bit like living in a house rent free and expecting the landlord to renovate it top to bottom, it aint going to happen. TBA need money from its members to be able to put programs into place, you get nothing for nothing these days, as part fo the process they have already commence partnerships to give members value for their money as we've seen from the various press release on TBA website.

surely if we encourage everyone to pay the membership fee the prorams you so badly desire to see will start to roll out, it takes time and it take money. we need paid members to be able to apply for a greater slice of the ASC grants pie, as we get a greater slice (ie more money) we can start to put into place even more programs to assist coaches, managers and members. it is that simple, plant the seed and watch it grow. we have the right people steering the ship we just need to be able to provide them with the funds via membership for them to get us moving in the direction we all so desperately desire.

Back
Top Bottom