Emerson Shield 2009

I have expressed my concerns about the pattern to the head tech of the bowling centre before the pattern was even placed on totalbowling. Eppings head tech has also expressed his concerns. Our manager has also made a trip to Altona today to discuss the conditions.

Ray leaves the conditions up to the centres holding the event. He has explained this to me on more than one occasion.

My reply from the head tech was "Have I come up with a pattern that shuts you out?" I answered, yes it does shut me out, because I will not compete on such a dangerous pattern in an event that is largly about fun and friendly competition.

While sometimes Wayne comes accross as the most senile person to never be committed to a nut-house, in this scenario it is better for you to assess the facts regarding the event rather than have personal shots at him.

Honestly, I don't care if they change the pattern now or not. For your sake, I hope they change it on the day to reduce the risk of injury. If not, start looking up numbers for doctors in your area.

So if I am not mistaken... Epping had the zone final last year, laid a pattern that was challenging and a pattern which they chose. I enjoyed the challenge and was the first to admit I struggled. There were also a fair few disgruntled bowlers who thought the pattern had taken away some of the atmosphere of the event.

Now that Altona is laying a pattern they want which is not to the liking of some, they need to impose their opinion onto the host centre to change the pattern. I hope that Altona stand by their decision and don't change. It will be challenging and as for the injury toll that is speculated... I wonder if it will be any different to the injuries that were suffered as a result of the approaches last year...

What ever happened to learning to adjust and have fun! Now were becomming picky on whats being laid so it can be a social event! The fun is taken out of the sport when you get centres putting patterns that have 30 boards area! doesn't matter where you throw it, its going to be a strike!
You take each pattern as it comes! Next year, we'll wait and see what the next centre has in mind of putting down! So stop complaining and just bowl!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NO CLUE​

The proposed condition is not playable...you'll be risking injury if you attempt to adjust to it. THAT, my fellow bowlers is NOT BOWLING

Let me put this simply to everyone...
Altona Tenpin Bowling consulted the Manager of Oz Tenpin - Mr Robert Zikman sometime ago as to what would be a good pattern to use for the Emerson Shield Finals that would last. He sent me a copy of the Asian Seniors Pattern they are currently using in Manila, and said that it needed a little more oil - which we did.

We have laid this pattern each week for our sports league and have had 5 Emerson Teams in to practice on it (including Epping...Tonx couldn't make it!), over 400 games bowled on it - with no injuries, no ball burns, and very positive feedback from the bowlers, with good scores.

As for the approaches, those that have bowled at the centre in the past 12 months will know the approaches have changed significantly since the previous owners.

It appears to me that half of the bowlers nowdays want a challenge and something a little different - whilst the other half want only something that will suit them. A proprietor is dammed if they do (dare to lay a different pattern), and dammed if they don't (get accused of ditching the lanes)...

As for the Manager of Oz Tenpin (Mr. Robert Zikman) coming out to the centre yesterday I find this a little difficult to believe as he is competing in the Asian Seniors at the moment!

Karen

Karen,

Are you able to repost the pattern then? You make mention above that more oil was added - The pattern posted in an earlier post was exactly the same as that being used as we speak.

I look forward to the challenge that this pattern may provide. The only point in which I will stop bowling is where I deem the condition unsafe - then arrangements will need to be made to ensure minimum games are satisfied.

Karen....I've had a look at both patterns (Asian seniors and Emerson Shield)
They are exactly the same....where exactly did you add more oil? You say you've had five team practicing on it..did they bowl ten to a pair for four+ hours?...I really don't think your tech is all that familiar with what happens to a lane's pattern when that many lines are bowled on it without a re-oil.

Wayne,

You obviously know alot about lane conditions and i take onboard any constructive critisim you may have but there is absolutly no reason to start taking personal shots at my knowledge of the same, just to clear it up i have been doing this for 15 years i do know how patterns breakdown (or not) after many games, taking in various factors such as types of bowlers, humidity (yes, very humid at altona due to the ocean moisture coming straight in the front door all day, everyday), lane conditioners, cleaner etc. I did seek advice from someone who knew alot more than i, and decided on this pattern. I dont believe WTBA or the governing body(s) would've allowed the seniors to bowl on such a pattern if it was unsafe to bowl on... like i said however, if anyone wants to come here and try the shot, book in and i will gladly accept constructive critisim, to date no one (that has bowled on it here) has voiced any negative th
oughts.

Wayne, you need to go back to the basis of your initial post about the oiling pattern. Either it is unsafe or it isn't. If you have proof that it is unsafe then by all means say so. Making assumptions based on what you think you know is getting you nowhere when you haven't tried the pattern.

I don't think you, me, or anyone else has the right to demand a certain oiling pattern, especially if we are not bowling in the tourney.

LMFAO...

Thanks for the pattern change. At least now everyone will have some sort of chance to clear the heads, with a 20-25% increase in volume from the original pattern posted.

Karen: I believe Tonx was refering to the team manager when he said "Our Manager".

Michael D: The sticky approach issue last year was, as far as I was told by the bowlers, confined to the first block on the Saturday. The problem we had was due to the moisture in the air thanks to all the rain. The VSS Final and the ATBSOV events either side of that weekend had no problems. Moisture (through humidity) was also the problem at Altona for the first few years. By virtue of it's location, there were issues with the sea air and the textured approaches. As time passed and they wore in, this stickiness became less of an issue leaving an even, albeit slower than wood, slide.

Wayne: The tech at Altona is experienced and has been in the industry for a long time. I'm sure he has taken the lane surface and number of games into account.

Personally my only concern with using a pattern written for the Seniors in Manila is that you're comparing apples and oranges; The humidity (80%), lane surface and number of games (max 12 per lane) between re-oils over there allows for higher scoring and more varied shot selection on such a pattern when compared to humidity (50-60%), lane surface and number of games (max 25 per lane) between re-oils here.

However, as I'm not bowling, I'll just wish good luck to all involved and hope everyone has a good time.

hi everyone....
bowled altona on the pattern today.. is not as dry as what everyone makes out to be...
as the games went on it was actually easier to get the ball to hold on the inside. and that was bowling for about 2 hours on the same pair
dont know what all the fuss is about cause its not that dry and everyone has to bowl on the same pattern..
my only concern is the approaches were very slippery...which was unexpected
dwayneo...

I hope Altona sticks to there guns and doesn't bow down to the pressure of these "sooks" who want "easy" or "high" scoring conditions. If you're that good of a bowler then you will be able to adjust.

If you think that's going to be tough try bowling at Melton. Oh thats right its too hard.....:rolleyes:

And by the way good luck to everyone, remember this is suppose to be a fun tournament.

Russo

I find it laughable that you guys think the issue is going to be the scoring pace.

Really shows how utterly clueless you actually are.

I'm predicting huge scores. Brooklyns, nose hits, half pocket hits are all going to carry with that much friction. It's the good bowlers that risk injury that I have the issue about.

Have fun "adjusting"...

Ha Ha Ha new I would get a bite.

Sorry we can't be as good as some. I think most people enjoy the sport and don't see the need to prove anything to anybody but themselves.

Its not about who is better.

And as for you Tonx, you are just whinging cause you wont be able to score the "big" numbers your used to.
And you're comment about good bowlers you're worried about, its the average bowlers who keep this sport and centres open cause if it wasn't for them there wouldn't be enough bowlers to play in these tournaments but hey you not concerned about them anyway just the good ones.

tonx seriously, i didnt have to change much to keep it in the pocket. just changed my release a bit and i was fine. no extra effort. no extra stress on the body.
BUT the slippery approaches did take a bit to get used to, only issue i had but thats nothing to do with the pattern

josh

Back
Top Bottom