The disenchantment of tourn. bowling

Yes Paul there is certainly a call for the increase of regional tournaments, somewhere the bowlers can have the level of competition and cheaper entry. From an outsiders view of Vic, the number of junior/youth bowling in tournaments is the result of promoting the non-ranked events...and a good amount of local sponsorship. The culling of the NSW tournaments left a big gap and could easily be filled with local youth tournaments, and hope that someone will bring back at least one ranked to assist the youth pathways in this state.

Yes I agree with those sentiments, cheaper tournys with more pay down. I know when I used to bowl in Tournaments the first thing I looked at was how far down they paid, even if you only got back half your entry fee, this made the event more worthwhile. I have noticed in the last couple of years in NSW Grand Prix's, they have paid only those who made the cut, sad if you miss the cut by 1 pin, nothing to show for it.

When I started to bowl Tournaments I was a novice, I just wanted to compete, to see how I would go, it's all Ego, this is what drives all bowlers, EGO. this is what has to be stroked to help the Tournament scene along. So it would help if all the information about Tournaments was printed in a magazine or some such paper, again this will help stroke the EGO'S. This is where in the old days we had Bobby Cook and his Pinaction magazine, if only we had this again. This web site sure helps but not everyone is on the net.

Just more ramblings from an old bowler, I think Winchester is older than me.

willey

The name is wchester or wayne chester and I'm not old..I'm experienced!

I have my own thoughts on this subject but before I put them in print, I need to get myself a bullet proof vest.

Wayne ....

You say a bullet proof vest!!!!... Most certainly you will get shot down in flames ... it is definately the nature of the beast in Australian bowling. :(

Why would we all take the time to listen to another's opinion and perhaps even respect that opinion for what it says, without crucifying the person and their beliefs. :?

This is why Australian bowling is in such dissaray..... nobody gives a S**T about anybody and their opinions .... it is open slather.

Wayne .. step out in fron of the firing squad! :snipersm:

There are still some of us out here that will take a bullet or two for you and the cause. =;

Cheers
Samantha Warby

I don't know Wayne's thoughts, but there is no prize money in tournament bowling in Australia.

Compare the NSW Grand Prix series payouts to the early 1980's; Trish Datson at Liverpool Bowl, $4000 first prize, Campbelltown Cup in 1980 first prize $4000, Brisbane cup 1982, $2000 first prize. I know there were'nt a lot of tournaments around those days but these were set up with the passion of the Managers and Staff who were able to secure Sponsers , most times the Sponser only provided first place prize money but this made it easier to run the tournament without any worry about being out of pocket, the events were very successful, and produced a lot of games for the Centres.

NSW Grand Prix's can't come close to those sort of payout over 20 years later and people ask why there is not a lot of support for these events. Now consider this, $4000 was equal to about 20 weeks pay in 1980 as average weekly earnings in 1980 were just over $200 a wek. Grand Prix win equals about 2 weeks pay.

I'm sure if we were to maintain some of the payments from the early 80's we may even see Batson come out of retirement or even Wayne Chester or even Andy Mackay ( who is still seen around bowling centre's ).

I know what some people are going to say, even though they had large payouts for first prize many, they had only half the amount for running second, that may be so but consider this Wimbledon Tennis Championships pay $1 million Dollars first and $1/2 a million Dollars second. At 1980's rate the top prize should be $16,000, gee even I would start practicing for that kind of money.

JMHO.

willey.

Re: Been there done that.

Aussie said:
Rig, Its all been done before.
Yes we did travel interstate all the time, even if we were not so good.
Only problem with a lot of the posts on here
is that most of you were not around
in the 70.s and 80, and the early part of the 90.s
Bowling goes in cycles and nothing has changed
only the balls and all the Blocked Lane Conditions.
now just about any mug can have a 200+ Ave.
YEH i bowled in the 70's 80's 90's 2000's lol i've seen changes and i don,t even were glasses lol.

willey said:
I don't know Wayne's thoughts, but there is no prize money in tournament bowling in Australia.

Compare the NSW Grand Prix series payouts to the early 1980's; Trish Datson at Liverpool Bowl, $4000 first prize, Campbelltown Cup in 1980 first prize $4000, Brisbane cup 1982, $2000 first prize. I know there were'nt a lot of tournaments around those days but these were set up with the passion of the Managers and Staff who were able to secure Sponsers , most times the Sponser only provided first place prize money but this made it easier to run the tournament without any worry about being out of pocket, the events were very successful, and produced a lot of games for the Centres.

NSW Grand Prix's can't come close to those sort of payout over 20 years later and people ask why there is not a lot of support for these events. Now consider this, $4000 was equal to about 20 weeks pay in 1980 as average weekly earnings in 1980 were just over $200 a wek. Grand Prix win equals about 2 weeks pay.

I'm sure if we were to maintain some of the payments from the early 80's we may even see Batson come out of retirement or even Wayne Chester or even Andy Mackay ( who is still seen around bowling centre's ).

I know what some people are going to say, even though they had large payouts for first prize many, they had only half the amount for running second, that may be so but consider this Wimbledon Tennis Championships pay $1 million Dollars first and $1/2 a million Dollars second. At 1980's rate the top prize should be $16,000, gee even I would start practicing for that kind of money.

JMHO.

willey.
And don,t forget Manhattan super classics Ian Bradfood $50,000 Andrew frawley $50,000 Brenton davy $200,000 VAL $Nil LOL

Hey everyone!

Even though I just found this post, I had to add my 2 cents worth...and I am used to people giving me evils over my opinions!

I have been bowling since the age of 5. This means that I have been bowling for quite some time. Since that time, bowling has cost my family and I a great deal of money, and in the past I used to bowl in lots of tournaments for very little in prizemoney. I can actually remember bowling in a tournament where I lost money by winning it!

Since then, I have cut back the tournaments because of the costs mainly. Transport, accommodation, bowling fees and food at the bowling centres... it is just not worth it if you don't win everything you enter! I truly believe that certain bowlers are recognised more than others - there should be incentives for loyal bowlers - because otherwise people will tire of this sport very quickly.

I have considered giving up this sport in frustration because it often feels like you are not valued if you are not part of a select few who bowl every day. I know I am not alone in thinking this. The bowlers who consistently bowl every week, every league, every year get jack all in return! After all, these bowlers also support this sport, like those bowlers who travel throughout the state and country.

If you add up the costs (which seems to be the bottom line) you often are very surprised... eg. bowling in a league at the moment:

$24 for 3 games x 40 weeks = $960 per league :eek:

and that's WITHOUT practice games!

I know bowling is a expensive sport for a once a week league bowler, but what about the people who go in other tournaments (without sponsors)? I'd hate to think about how much they spend!

I have other sports, and don't come close to the money spent on bowling. Someone mentioned it is only $10 to register for the year - yes, but you still have to pay every week!

I don't know what can be done to save this sport, but somehow costs must be cut - because otherwise the social bowlers will also stop coming... my mates used to have social games on a Saturday night, but at $14.50 a game, who would?

And I'm not sure if certain bowlers will get annoyed at this, but many people who I know have came up to me and ask me because they know I bowl "Are all bowlers really that up themselves?" I will leave that right there.

Sorry bout the ranting and raving, but hey someone has to say it (don't shoot the messenger ;) ), and maybe there is more to the problem than just tournaments if the social bowlers associate this sport with people like that :) After all, it is the social bowlers that build the sport by joining leagues in the first place!

Food for thought...

Trev, where do you pay $14.50 a game? Just curious so I can avoid going to that centre.

Gazaroticus Thunderstalks said:
Trev, where do you pay $14.50 a game? Just curious so I can avoid going to that centre.

Where ever it is i doubt you would pay $14.50 that would be social bowler(no league discount) and show hire included.

Topher

True enough Topher, but that's still a hell of a lot of money just for one game or 10 minutes of recreation.

even if it included shoe hire, 14 50 is heaps for a game, just curious why did u pay that much for a game.

luke green

$14.50 for a game.
Sounds like an AMF rate for a Saturday night after 6pm, social bowler (non-member) with shoe hire added on.
That'd come pretty close to $14.50 anyhow.

In relation to your post Trev, it is getting a little dear now for me also, I will have to give Sponsors League away after 16 years, and concentrate on one league a week, the more lucrative Centre League. Tournaments are also out of reach for the moment.

I'm not sure that there really is anything that can be done about it, to be honest.

I won't pay that but social bowlers will... and yes it is now an AMF centre. No prizes for guessing where though ;)

I'm glad other bowlers think that is too dear also... shows I am not just being tight with finances!

Back
Top Bottom