The Future of Bowling in Australia

krdavis

There have been a few posts lately on attracting new bowlers to our sport, increasing the sports profile and so on. I can see several reasons why with the current centre structure why this task may not be that easily achieved. Firstly, who owns AMF ? – Well it is MLT (Macquarie Leisure Trust Group – purchased a year ago along with Bowling Australia), a division within Macquarie Bank (they also own Dreamworld). If you have your superannuation managed by MacSuper, then there is a good chance you are contributing to your super by way of your bowling. As this is a business who’s sole purpose is to provide a return on investment, the business will be (and should be) run in a manner to provide this. Therefore prices are as likely to drop as interest rates (and there is probably a like between them too), and incentives to attract more bowlers will become the responsibility of the individual centres who would be required to achieve results whilst adhering to the corporate guidelines on pricing – hence no freebees or near freebees. The direction that MLT want to take AMF is stated in their prospectus –

“Since making the acquisitions, we have significantly restructured the business to reposition bowling as a major leisure pursuit in the Australian market. Initial work has concentrated on establishing a strategic marketing team with the objective of improving performance in the key growth areas of birthday parties, corporate groups and open social play.”
The key words are “improving performance”

This is not limited to AMF, the independents are now up against the might of MLT, and to succeed they must be run very well and cut costs wherever possible to stay in business. I bowled at one of these centres last week and discovered the pinsetters where Brunswick, but the approaches and lanes were synthetic and out of China ! at 20% the cost of traditional lanes, (The games cost $10 each and as I did not play in a league there, they would not give me league discount. I will not bowl there again !!)..

I learnt recently that all pro shops were independent of the centres too, thinking about this it made sense – MLT are not in the retail business, they are in leisure – that is why all the outlet shops at Dreamworld are independent too. So I doubt we would see all the pro-shops being run out of AMF directly in the future.

Is Bowling treated like a ‘real’ sport? – I don’t really think so, not in Australia anyway at the moment, the TBA are doing a great job in getting up there, but I feel they must be a little inhibited by not having any real input into the running of the centres. In the USA, if you are a member of the PBA you can get $1 games. It is very difficult for youngsters (and oldsters too), who want to excel in bowling to put in the lane work required to achieve the elite level without having significant resources behind them. In NZ centres have a practice block (normally 2 hours), where you pay about $20, and bowl any number of games you like – great if you just want to play the dots and reset the spares or just generally practice. This would be welcome here I am sure..

This post is not a put down of AMF in any measure, It hopefully just provides information to help everyone understand why we pay what we do for bowling, why we will continue to pay what we do for bowling, and why centres and state management are not the ones to complain to.

Maybe a few emails or phone calls to MLT’s marketing group would help (or maybe it wouldn’t) ???? –

I think there needs to be distinctions between a social bowler/ league bowler and a tournament bowler.

The top bowlers in the country are the best because they can practice or I should say afford to practice for whatever reason.

There should be a special rate for the tournament bowler as to excel in the SPORT of bowling you need to refine your skills. To do that you need to practice ALOT!

I recently spoke with AMF and offered them a price for a package that most bowlers would not be able to offer. Yet I was turned down, because it would set a precedent.... I was most disappointed. I asked for a bulk buy of games. Because I want to improve and I was willing to pay for it in advance.

I also made a few calls to speak with Roy M. but he was too busy and even though I was promised he would call back... he still hasn't.

I mention Roy M CEO of AMF because he told everyone on this board that tournament bowling was important to him and AMF/ MLG. But I havent seen him back it up.

How much would you pay to buy 1000 games up front in advance?

James Sitters

If I had the power to sell you a block of 1,000 games, I'd have to say yes to an offer of $2,000. Anyone who says no to that kind of offer is just plain crazy.

Mankind_280 said:
I think there needs to be distinctions between a social bowler/ league bowler and a tournament bowler.
The top bowlers in the country are the best because they can practice or I should say afford to practice for whatever reason.
There should be a special rate for the tournament bowler as to excel in the SPORT of bowling you need to refine your skills. To do that you need to practice ALOT!
I recently spoke with AMF and offered them a price for a package that most bowlers would not be able to offer. Yet I was turned down, because it would set a precedent.... I was most disappointed. I asked for a bulk buy of games. Because I want to improve and I was willing to pay for it in advance.
I also made a few calls to speak with Roy M. but he was too busy and even though I was promised he would call back... he still hasn't.
I mention Roy M CEO of AMF because he told everyone on this board that tournament bowling was important to him and AMF/ MLG. But I havent seen him back it up.
How much would you pay to buy 1000 games up front in advance?
James Sitters

If there were a serious commitment to Bowling as a Sport, i.e. Tourney play, then there would be provisions made for those players who want to improve their game. It's ok to buy 1000 games, but ask any PBA pro about their practice strategy and I would guarantee it would not consist of throwing game after game after game chasing scores - What we need it the ability to buy time! - Now that would be better, Lets say 3 games costs $12.00, and takes 30 minutes - I would think $20/hour lane time would be a much better way to make use of the lane (even $20/Hour is very expensive!) - I would pay the $2000 for 1000 games as you mention - Any takers in Brisbane?? (Exclude Cannon Hill – It would cost too much replacing damaged balls! LOL)

I believe Moorlbark (spelling) does by the hour bowling....

I wouldnt just be bowling for scores, (I do that yes) but I would also have 10,000 frames to work with..... It would've been nice

But I do agree with the by the hour.... but you seriously think it would be done but AMF?

Some AMF centers do use a rent a lane for an hour promotion.

But it is generally at high price and not worth it for a league bowler. Often it is moonlight bowling and the likes.

So it would be a matter of cutting a deal with AMF for league bowlers, though very unlikely to happen.

How's this for an idea?
There is more chance of AMF (or independents for that matter) cutting tournament players a deal if the players were to do something in return, like maybe 1 or 2 junior clinics a year. It is possible that if, say everyone in the top 30 in the national rankings were to put in 2 Sunday mornings a year in their local centres for example, then the centres might well be more likely to do a deal.
For a long time the tournament players have not (in the main) given a lot back to the sport. Maybe the time is nigh to change that. Even if TBA were to make it mandatory for all FIQ aspirants, in return for cheap (or dare I whisper it *free*) practice. Tournament players have for the most part over the years been less than willing to donate their time like this, but maybe this could be a lever to help with practice costs.
Just a thought......................

Good Idea but..........

That still poses the problem of the elite staying on top as those outside the top 30 wouldnt get that cheaper rate. And the rest wouldnt....

As I'm not (nor likely to be) in the top 30 as shannon noll screamed

WHAT ABOUGT ME!!

James

PS: I'm not an egomanic just throwing in abit of humour

Some of the inderpendant centres in NSW run the State Tenpin Bowling League and offer players ( the best 10 in their centre) free practice and free STBL play. While this is good Bateau Bay Bowl one of the league members has just had a change of Manager and free practice has been removed. The other two centres in the same companies chain still have free practice. Double standards due to Bateau bay being in a popular holiday area.

James,
I'm not sure where you bowl, but at least some of the AMF centres in Brisbane allow you to bowl on instructomat for half an hour or so as long as you eventually buy a couple of games. It might be worth asking at your local centre if they can something like that for you?

OZ Tenpin Operates 3 Bowling Centres in Melbourne.
Altona, Greensborough & Narre Warren. Any bowler, league or tournament is welcome to use our facilities on an hourly rate of $15.00 per hour,
(at Greensborough available now & Altona by Jan 30th) this will include the facility (Brunswick equiped centres) to set and bowl at any spare combination or full set of pins for the duration of your training session!
With Kegel oiling machines we are only too happy to (with advanced warning & centre requirements taken into account!) condition lanes to your suit your training requirements!
As independent operators we are happy to met with any bowlers who may wish to purchase bulk games or training hours!
For further information contact: Altona Brett Best 03 9391 7911, Greensborough Rob Zikman 03 94674544, Narre Warren Debbie Hogg
03 9704 2955.

robzikman said:
Altona, Greensborough & Narre Warren. Any bowler, league or tournament is welcome to use our facilities on an hourly rate of $15.00 per hour,
(at Greensborough available now & Altona by Jan 30th) this will include the facility (Brunswick equiped centres) to set and bowl at any spare combination or full set of pins for the duration of your training session!
With Kegel oiling machines we are only too happy to (with advanced warning & centre requirements taken into account!) condition lanes to your suit your training requirements!
As independent operators we are happy to met with any bowlers who may wish to purchase bulk games or training hours!
For further information contact: Altona Brett Best 03 9391 7911, Greensborough Rob Zikman 03 94674544, Narre Warren Debbie Hogg
03 9704 2955.

Rob - You're a champion, what you are offering is fantastic for those who are looking to improve their game in best and most cost effective manner. It is a pitty we don't have any centres who are prepared to offer this up here in Brisbane ... hmmmm - my inlaws live in Narre Warren, maybe we need to visit them more than one every 2 years .... How much for a full 24 hours ???

Open a Sydney Centre Rob!!!!

LOL

Are there any independents in sydney???

PS|: Robbie B... I already do that then bowl 6-12 games.... but I want the freedom to go in the a centre and bowl as many as i'd like without paying 70+ dollars

robzikman said:
03 9704 2955.

Sensational stuff Rob. You're a credit to the industry. Any chance of you running centres in QLD? I would certainly take huge advantage of such an offer.

I am sure serious league bowlers and tournament bowlers would find
excellent assistance if they want to develop and improve their game!
If your in SA try Paul Longayroux at Village Bowl and in WA try talking to
Sue at Fairlanes these people are real supporters of bowlers and I am sure
you would be able to work out an arrangement to suit!

Rob is a champ.

The deal has probably been Victorias best kept secret for quite a while. I can speak highly of Greensborough, as I am there quite regularly, hard at work on my game.

The Kegal machine is state of the art, the lanes are brunswick synths, the approaches have recently been resurfaced, pin combinations practise is made easy, what more does one want?

All in all, OZ-tenpin IMHO are AMONGST the stand-out centres in bowling in Victoria. The staff are always happy to help, chat about bowling and assist with any problems you may have. Some of Victorias top Youth bowlers train at these centres...

Give them a go!

“Since making the acquisitions, we have significantly restructured the business to reposition bowling as a major leisure pursuit in the Australian market. Initial work has concentrated on establishing a strategic marketing team with the objective of improving performance in the key growth areas of birthday parties, corporate groups and open social play.”

It sounds to me like AMF is after earning the "almighty dollar" rather than promoting bowling as a SPORT! It is similar in the US, so I am not surprised that this is the case. After all, if I was in the frame of mind of making money and not promoting bowling as a SPORT, I would be gearing my business toward birthday parties, corporate groups and open social play as well because that will bring me $10 per game rates, rather than the $5 league bowler rates that we get.

Rob, I commend you for keeping the SPORT of bowling in mind and not just looking for ways to meet your monetary and business goals!

Independent centres like the ones that Rob mentioned and Steve Arundell (at Mentone Bowl in Mentone, Victoria), Edi (at Werribee bowl in Werribee) and Joe Tomo (at Ed Fleming in Mooroolbark, Vic) would probably help competitive bowlers out with their games and wallets as well!

Just my thoughts...
chris

krdavis said:
It is a pitty we don't have any centres who are prepared to offer this up here in Brisbane ... hmmmm - my inlaws live in Narre Warren, maybe we need to visit them more than one every 2 years .... How much for a full 24 hours ???

Don't know where abouts you are in Brisbane, but if you are prepared to drive NORTH from Brisbane CBD, then you will find at least two centres who offer hourly lane rates - ASPLEY & CABOOLTURE. With notice, Caboolture will also put down a tournament or sports condition with their Kegel.

Back
Top Bottom