The Future of Bowling in Australia

bm2 said:
Don't know where abouts you are in Brisbane, but if you are prepared to drive NORTH from Brisbane CBD, then you will find at least two centres who offer hourly lane rates - ASPLEY & CABOOLTURE. With notice, Caboolture will also put down a tournament or sports condition with their Kegel.

Thanks for the info - I am on the Southside and have not bowled at Caboolture, if they can lay pre-requested patterns and offer hourly rates it would be well worth the drive.

Keith

Ed Fleming Lanes have always offered bowlers cheaper practice rates. We currently offer $10.00 per hour for bowlers and will offer 100 games for $2.00 game for anyone interested. Last year over the holidays we had 22 bowlers take up the offer of $2.00 game rate. In most cases it would be up to the bowler to come and speak with us and arrange a deal. Of course there are times when our lanes are booked out and those specials dont apply, but in most cases we are happy to help out with improving someone average or lay down a Oiling Pattern a particular wants before bowling in a Major or going overseas as an Australian Representative.
But, there are some bowlers who want everything, but in the end will not support that Centre by Not bowling in their Tournaments.
It gets back to that old saying "You scratch my Back and I will Scratch yours" pretty simple really and I think most centres would help out in some way. Even AMF give our Practice without pins and as mentioned early post just expect the bowler to purchase a few games. I dont think that is too much to ask for.

So guys get down to your local centre and "Make a Deal" you might be surprised at how eager some of those managers are to help you the bowlers.:cool:

This is a list of Victorian Goldpin Centres who (I'm fairly sure) offer timed practice with or without pins:

Ballarat Bowling Centre 5331 5610
Colac Bowl 5231 4251
Dragon City Lanes-Bendigo 5443 9944
Ed Fleming Lanes-Mooroolbark 9726 0333
Geelong Bowling Lanes 5241 2200
Greensborough Lanes 9467 4544
Healthways-Box Hill 9890 0507
Kingpin Bowl- Echuca 5482 5722
Melton Bowling Centre 9743 9444
Mentone Tenpin Bowl 9583 1244
Morwell Tenpins 5134 6450
Narre Warren Superbowl 9704 2955
Rosebud Tenpin Bowl 5981 2222
Sale & Area Supabowl 5144 5800
Star Bowl-Shepparton 5821 5587
Sunraysia Tenpins - Mildura 5022 2033
Twin Cities Bowl- Wodonga 02 6024 7022
Warragul Bowl 5623 4600
Warrnambool Pins and Play 5561 6877
Werribee Superbowl 9741 9777
Altona Bowl 9391 7911
Horsham Lanes and Games 5382 5022

I am sure that all centres are happy to work in with bowlers. Bundy Bowl (Qld) had a great idea of having Gold membership, whereby a bowler purchased a year long card to get all league and practice included.

Talk to your local centre about an offer,

Edi De Pellegrin

Thats great

We have VIC, QLD, WA Covered... but not NSW, NT, TAS, ACT

I'd be glad to scratch anybodys back I had to scratch..... but it seem here in sydney no body is itchy!!!

The almighty dollar rules again.
Not true!!!!
Far from it.
To my knowledge I have received one request from the tournament bowlers to practice in Brisbane in the last 12 months.
That request was handled and am pleased to say the bowler was accommodated.
Any bowler and I mean any bowler is welcome to contact my office after Monday to arrange practice in Brisbane.
Would be happy to help where possible.
Its strange how we bash AMF on this forum without checking the facts first.

Tony Goodwin
AMF Regional Manager
Brisbane.

By the way ask George and Clair about how much they were charged for practice before going to the World Cup.

Tony....

Thanks for the reply.... unfortunately my regional manager flat out refused to do anything of the sort to accomodate me, he would not go below the $4 a game rate.... so i would of paid $4000. (asking for 1000 games)

They said it would create a problem because if they did it for me they'd have to do it for everybody...

Go figure...

So, Mankind 280, what is wrong with $4 a game, what are you after? You seem to forget AMF charges $9 a game for 3 yearolds, and your complaining?

willey.

Wiley
It may seem like complaining but a 3 year old doesnt want to buy 1000 games do they???
I thought i'd get a better deal than the minuim standard if I offered full payment up front.... you can get a discount for everything if you bulk buy, why not games???
PS: I thought you of the opinion that bowling was too expensive wiley, why jump on my back for trying to get a better deal?
I offered $2-$3 a game

Nothing wrong with trying to buy games up front for a discount. I would be happy to offer $2.00 per game for 200 Plus game blocks purchased up front.:cool:

Mankind, Do you know how much it actually cost's to supply a game of bowling?

Seems to me that a lot of "bowlers" seem to forget that bowling is one of the sports with a lot more overheads than most of it's competitors. It also is one of the few sports that must be run as a business to survive.

The simple fact is that it is business first, bowling second and if you owned your own centre or managed one, you would realise this because if it's not run as a business there will not be bowling.

Rob

PS.... and before anyone goes off, yes I do own a centre, and yes we do try to do the right thing by our bowlers as best we can!!

I do not know the costs at running a centre. But I would like to know if you would be willing to inform me.... I know businesses are run to make profit, but I thought the best way to increase profit would be through customer satisfaction.... If I would buy a great product, or had a good time at a venue, naturally I will tell people and based on my good experience, they will more likely go to that venue.

Where as if I told them about how much or how bad my experience was they wouldnt be as likely to to or do the said thing.

I cant understand why other centres around australia and even Tony Goodwin ( Brisbane AMF Regional Manager) can accomodate requests, where as others can't.

If one branch of AMF chooses to do so, why cant all??

PS: Tony I'm only trying to see what other bowlers feel, I'm sharing my experience and I thank you sincerely for helping that said bowler....

James

My question to you James is you seam to be a well established bowler im just wondering where do you get your gear drilled and where or who do you buy your bowling balls and shoes and stuff off?

I buy my gear at different places through out the Year

In January for the SA Cup I usually buy gear of Brenton Davy... I say usually because I have 6 balls without holes in them so I wouldnt be doing that this year

He drills my gear when i'm in SA, but when I'm not my coach Andy McKay drills my gear....

I have bought gear of Branndo (most recently a ball rack for all the gear), Gavin from Richlands (who has helped alot), from The USA (Ebay Baby!), and even from the Local Proshop( Bits and pieces, a ball or two)... Depends whats best at the time.

As for being well established, I wouldnt say that.... because I'm not well ranked or have proven myself yet, but I hope to soon, hence why I was asking for the deal.

Why do you ask Sam?

I had a chat with Sam and he makes a good point.

He said that maybe I should support the centre I bowl at more by buying equipment there and in return they'll see me as a loyal customer and may be a bit more accomodating.... and in theroy its a solid argument...

However with AMF charging 100-200 more for a ball than (insert name here) it is a bit hard to justify the difference, if it was only a say $50 difference i wouldnt mind but when you buy 6 or so balls thats a 1200 saving...

I'm very loyal to people who would look after me, as I said to Sam, if I was in qld he'd probably have my business regardless of a slight markup because he rewards loyalty. As do other indepents...

however I cant do that since there are no indepents in sydney.

Thank you for the chat Sam....

You are right in what you are saying Mankind, I have thought the cost of games has been too high for Quite a number of years. I worked in Bowling Centres for over 36 years, all the Staff know the prices got too high. I've seen the Centres run when they where better than Gold Mines for producing Revenue, but they shot themselves in the foot with continuous price rises.

E.G; When the GST came into being with it's 10% cost increase, what did AMF do? decrease the prices? exactly the opposite, they increased 2 months before the GST took effect, which was only months after thier obligatory increase at Christmas, 3 increases in 6 months.

They can try all thier fancy Cosmic Bowling and Birthday Parties and Corporate Parties, but they require a lot of Staff, so Catch 22. how do you run a Centre with the least amount of Staff and get high linage? Only with League Bowling, they had them, but it's hard to grow League Bowling with once a year Bowlers, which is what you get with High Game prices. I seen many people walk out of Centres when they found out the prices, they tell thier friends and thier friends tell thier friends etc, etc, etc.

I am now out of Bowling, I own my own business, so this is not Sour Grapes talk, these are the Facts.

willey.

Hi there All

Maybe AMF or TBA should devise some sort of card that is aimed at those bowlers that bowl regularly in higher level tournaments for example - super six, state and national championships, etc. Maybe setup something like setting a minimum number of tournaments per year for example which make a bowler eligible to obtain the Card. Those that have this card may for example get a game rate at $2.00 a game or something when practicing

If this was to happen then the Centre(s), AMF and TBA would come out winners as those bowlers would practice more as they would have a lower game rate. Further to that tournaments Such as the Super Six and other higher level tournaments may or should get a higher participation rate as bowlers are bowling in tournaments to try and get this card to offer heavily discounted game rates or are bowling to keep the card and because of the cheaper rate they can save a little more money to go in such events.

Just a suggestion

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE:cool: :cool:

TBA doesnt operate bowling centres David. It wouldnt make any difference to TBA whether bowlers got their games at $2 or $10. Game rate has nothing to do with TBA.

Andrew I wans't inferring that TBA run bowling centres, however they do run some tournaments and if it increases bowlers for tournaments then it has to be good for TBA in some way shape or form.

THANKS

That is a great idea sneezy.

I believe it would take a lot of negotiating as both parties would want something out of the deal, but it makes perfect sense!

Maybe the national winner could then recieve the necxt year of practice, for free.

I wish I knew how the tba felt about this, or even roy M since he is CEO of AMF

at chester hill we pay $4 4 league practice, & if you bowl representative example bowl sydney or interdistrict or intercenter, you pay $2 for practice plus discounts at the pro shop & cafe

Back
Top Bottom