the death of ten pin bowling!!!!!!

tonx said:
Now for my say on the topic.
Read the Maquarie report. Bowling won't be dead for a long time. Company still profiting? Bowling will stay around.
As long as it has bowlers like you and I bowling week in, week out, there will always be a market for it. It will just be in between moonlight bowling and league hacks. Start recruiting bowlers yourself, bring a friend, and get them involved! This will become a snowballing effect...

Maybe it is elitist comments (like the one highlighted above) and attitudes of some people whom seem to forget that they were once a so called league hack, that is hurting this sport more than some of the constuctive not so constructive comments on here.

Rob

bowlrig said:
Maybe it is elitist comments (like the one highlighted above) and attitudes of some people whom seem to forget that they were once a so called league hack, that is hurting this sport more than some of the constuctive not so constructive comments on here.
Rob

And where in my post is it negative? I don't see one negative comment there. In fact, if you read furthur, you will see I urge bowlers to recruit a friend. Yes, I did start as a league hack, and still refer to myself as one. No big deal.....

I have also given a HUGE amount of time to people joining the sport (ask many people on here that I help), including giving advice, selling people into league that are watching me practise, giving bowling balls away, drilling for free, coaching juniors for free, etc etc... If you are looking to blame the death of bowling on someone, I hardly think i'm the main culprit, however, if you are able to give me more advice on how else I can help the sport of bowling, it would gladly be taken it into consideration.

These topics themselves are detrimental to the goal of tenpin bowling in Australia. Instead of complaining about it, perhaps people should be doing something about it?

To each his own i supose....

Regards...

1. My post was not a personal attack on you. I just took a little offence to the one line that was in your post.

2. At no time did I blame the so called "death of bowling" on you or any other individual.

3. Last but not least, if these topics are detrimental to the goal of tenpin bowling in Australia, then dont post.

Rob

PS..and yes each to his own.

Talking of Lefty's, I would consider Sam Romeo the best Lefty over a long period of time, has he bowled a 300 yet?

willey.

willey said:
Talking of Lefty's, I would consider Sam Romeo the best Lefty over a long period of time, has he bowled a 300 yet?

willey.

I don't think he has actually.

He'd easily be the best bowler never to have shot one.

If anybody would have seen all the kids on Saturday morning at Chermside you would not think it is dying. They have 26 lanes full with at least 3 per lane. That is a lot of kids.

Seen the same thing in today's Newcastle Herald, which is ironic considering they sold all thier Centres in Newcastle.

willey

I think the point of the whole thing is that AMF are spending money. This can only be good for the sport. I would much prefer to bowl in a modern well equiped centre with good food and amenaties Yer ok there aiming it squarely at the social bowler but i think from memory all bowlers are social bowlers before they start league. If this expansion by MacQuarie attrachs 1 Cara Honeychurch or 1 Jason Belmotte it will be worth it. I think to say that Bowling is dead is a big call. Yer leagues may be down a little but that is the case world wide not just in Australia.

Phil

I wouldn't be getting too exited about amf spending money , its not to attract league bowlers, but to recoup lost revenue from the decline in league bowlers.
Firstly the article was in the business section ( lets make money ) not the sport
section ( lets Promote and give scores ), 2ndly the first paragraph of the story
gives you a good indication its not about bowling ,Quote " there's a simple way to attract young people to ten pin bowling centres on a saturday night - put in a bar " nothing about new leagues forming or free learn to bowl clinics, besides
the only league iv'e seen on a sat night is, moonlight. 3rdly it goes on to say
"as opposed to rival entertainment locations such as cinemas , nightclubs and pubs " refresh my old memory but what sports are played in these loations ?And
which other sports have mention of bars surrounding them. I dont remember seeing one on the boundry at the MCG for the resting opening bowler to have a quick pot betwen overs or a mini bar behind the umpires chair at Rod Laver.
Lets hope amf feel guilty about selling bowling centres to people who want a liquor licence.!
Sorry to go on but this really got up my nose!!!!!!!!!!!

The long and the short of it is, MLT do not see bowling as a serious sport. and quite frankly, neither do the general public. They consider it a passtime, something you do for fun on a saturday night (if you have nothing better to do). And I seriously doubt that will change any time soon.

As much as league & Tournament bowlers whinge and scream, we won't be able to change anything unless MLT see a few dollar signs in it.

Back
Top Bottom