The sport of Bowling

Baz

Bowlers frequently refer to "our sport" and the "sport of bowling". Maybe someone should inform Foxtel that tenpin bowling is a sport because they don't list bowling telecasts under their list of sports.

I enjoy the Weber Cup telecasts and the World Cup and the World Team Challenge when it was on and I would like to see "our sport" listed under sports.

Maybe I can clarify their definition...

Sports worthy of telecast are those that are popular among the population - be it NRL, AFL, Union, Football (soccer), cricket... the list goes on.

The main problem (in my view) is that bowling is not "popular enough" to be worthy of telecast. Of course, they can show lawn bowls on the ABC, so why can't they show tenpin bowling?

Yeah well in there opion ten pin bowling in there eyes(FOXTEL) is only a small sport and not really any
thing to worry about.
I think our sport should be up there with all of them other sports.
Gosh look at how many other countries play ten pin bowling.
I always loved to watch the PBA on fox or espn about 5yrs ago.
This is a real in in the guts for our sport.
I ask all of you here at Totalbowling what can we do to make these companys sit up and take note of what we are saying about this most wonderful sport of ours.
I have a tape of the AO i think it is from about 4yrs ago that foxtel did.
The final was Cara Honeychurch vs Brenton davys.
So much for that continuing on with the super 6.
Maybe they(foxtel) didn`t get very good ratings i don`t know.

I find that anybody can bowl. How many people with a physical disability do u see playing football or cricket and other sports such as them (no offense to anyone who does). But do u get my point? I used to work at a bowling centre and every Thursday we would have the Endeavour Foundation people come in and bowl. They would have so much fun. I did see Morty Douglass play live on free to air tv once. BRING BACK BOWLING ON FREE TV.

I don't think it could be anything to do with the fact that anybody can bowl.
Think about the Special Olympics, anyone with just about any handicap can play just about any sport...
It's basically the image of the game that takes the rating away from it

I think you 2 have gone off the beaten track a little with your comments about who is bowling and if they have a disability or not.
Where here and correct me if im wrong is getting more bowling on tv whether it be free to air tv or cable tv.
I was just stating that there are so many countries around the world that play ten pin bowling at a very high rate in compertion why can`t tv companys stand up and show some balls and listen to a wonderful sport like ours.

P.S SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING.

I don't think it could be anything to do with the fact that anybody can bowl.
Think about the Special Olympics, anyone with just about any handicap can play just about any sport...
It's basically the image of the game that takes the rating away from it

Maybe not the image, but the popularity. Thousands of people go to see an NRL match every weekend, bowling might only get 1000 in a centre (but this is a rough guess, correct me if I'm wrong) for a major event. TV stations don't seem to want to take a risk.

Maybe not the image, but the popularity. Thousands of people go to see an NRL match every weekend, bowling might only get 1000 in a centre (but this is a rough guess, correct me if I'm wrong) for a major event. TV stations don't seem to want to take a risk.

You'd be lucky if you got 150-200 people watching a Major Tournament over a week-end and 75% of those would be bowlers bowling earlier or later squads. Not a big spectator sport as you cant fit many people inside a bowling centre compared to 15,000-20,000 to watch an NRL game.

Back
Top Bottom