Rachuig Politics

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
It doesn't matter what year, what State you live Rachuig always has its dramas. It never ceases to amaze me the ridiculous amount of politics that prevents this competition from being the No.1 Teams event in the country.

Maybe we should scrap it and start again with a new name, new format and most importantly no State politics.

This will be my last Rachuig officially this time!

Totally agree the politics have destroyed what used to be a great and enjoyable event!

Enjoy your last Rachuig George.

cheers

Not sure of the reasons but to have only 10 Male bowlers try out for Victoria that just says it all:(
For many years it has been a low turn out :(

Not having a dig at who made the team but would you have not have liked to have 100 bowlers to try out so bigger bragging rights:)

So why is it so?

Cheers
Gary

From what I understand, anyone is welcome to try out but only 7 are welcome to be in the team. If you look back at the previous years you can spot who was not welcome by the number of games they bowled. i.e. Brad Cook for NSW last year - 1 Game out of 20. Unless he was injured and I dont know this, thats not cricket!

Also from the 2 days I was trying out for the Holt Classic team, im very sorry to say that I noticed politics creep in there as well. It is very sad to see people out there that want to control the universe. I know im gonna get a lot of crap for this but this is what I believe and the simple fact is Politics and Sport should not co-exist.

Rachuig and all the other team events in all organisations that hold such events will continue to get poor roll off attendances and fail to attract the cream of our bowlers whilst bowlers are continually required to foot the bill for thousand's of dollars in order to play in these teams when they have no hope of a return on their outlay. unfortunately whilst our sport continues to lack serious sponsorship dollars this will always be the case

I would suggest the following changes to Rachuig qualifying for all states:

NO SELECTION! Roll off and make the top 7 or you are not in the team period! There are too many exemptions to rules which makes it very unattractive for a lot of bowlers to even bother to try out. If you are not good enough to make the top 7 at the time of the rolloffs, then why should you jump ahead of someone who was. If an Australian team is off competing then schedule the rolloffs so their is no such clash. It's simple NO EXEMPTIONS translates to NO COMPLAINTS and more than likely a greater pool of participants.

The introduction of a minimum amount of games that all 7 bowlers have to bowl in order for the state to be elible to win the event. Now some may say that this could penalize a state but the rule applies to all so their can't be any complaints. After all if you are good enough to make the top 7 then you are entitled to get value for the time and effort you invested. I would suggest a minimum of a third of the required games to be bowled. Based on last years 18 games, that would mean all bowlers must bowl a minimum of 6 games. Now I would go further and have it enforced that all bowlers must bowl a minimum of 2 games per day. This will ensure the best team wins not just five bowlers who happen to be in hot form.

Let's return this event to the prestigious status that it deserves to be held in. It is supposed to be the elite teams event in this country and we need to do something to reinvigorate the event.

Anyway that is my take on what I think will help this events resurrection.

Just noticed in the mens that only 4 of Australia's Top 10 ranked bowlers are participating in Rachuig, probably higher than some other previous years I'm betting too. There is absolutely no incentive for bowlers to bowl anymore. Overhaul or die!

We had about 20 if that guys try out and only 1 girl.

Not really good.................

Rachuig doesn't have the appeal to the ones that use to bowl, that can tell the difference between then and now. To the young guns and neewbies of today it's all fantastic.

1. Always should be first 7 past the post.
2. get rid of drafts, not really your state team if you have some one else from another state in it.

3. try and make it more affordable for team travelling. Was once a time when the air fares was paid or donated (I think) by the Aust. body, and alot of the cost were covered by the state body.

We have been thru all this with other posts, but there was a time once when you actually had all your best bowlers in the country bowling for there state.

Not these days.......I suppose it all come down to, times changing, costs, the fact of wanting to bowl in it.............plus many more excuses I'm sure.

cheers

Tony

Jase..I would say "nyet" [is the response] to your twice asked question.

If only ten bowlers turn up to contest the qualifying in Victoria and Tasmania is advertising for an additional bowler to fall over the line in numbers for its Ladies team - well I'd guess there is a touch of "General Motors" about Rachuig. That is to say that it's obvious in its present form it's on its last legs but a few at the top fail to either see or accept the reality staring them in the face.

Perhaps a "bailout" is forthcoming? Methinks nyet [again]!

Steve

Rachuig is still a great event for those who participate, unfortunately the cost of travel, accommodation, excess baggage etc have made it unaffordable for some of our best bowlers to chase rankings points and attend the Nationals. We have battled the dollar here since 1979 and now it costs our players $1700 plus airfare to attend. This is because the cost of lineage, medals, etc is now met by each player and yes there used to be up to 10 airfares given by the national body to NT, NQ, WA and a few less to the other states and it was easier for our bowlers to compete.
It is not the event so much that needs the overhaul it is the costs. I know some of Australia's top bowlers would come back to Rachuig if the costs were not so much - time away from work, money spent when it is needed elsewhere perhaps to pay a mortgage is hitting our sport big time.
Unfortunately TBA is not in a position to provide all of these things plus airfares etc anymore and until sponsorship for these costs can be accessed by someone in the organisation then those who can afford it, or fundraise for it or receive personal sponsorship to go will be the ones lining up in our teams. Our state is probably in a better position than most because we have athletes sponsored by the NTIS, we still receive a small amount of money for travel and we have a group of fundraisers who week in week out work with the team members to help. Volunteers all of them and our sports biggest asset. We need to look at costs to play not the actual event which is still an amazing event to play. And yes internal state politics doesn't help, everyone needs to be on the same page.
My opinion
June Voukolos

I believe June has covered the problems of Rachuig very well in her post.

Rachuig is still a great tournament, that is why I keep on coming back year after year. I bowled in my first Rachuig way back in 1976, and I can honestly say that I am enjoying the experience just as much now as I did 33 years ago. Rachuig is still a great challenge, state against state, opponent against opponent and more importantly, a test of your ability to produce under pressure. Although the spectator numbers may be a lot less than they were back in the 70's & 80's, the passion and rivalry on the lanes hasn't diminished one bit.

As in most sports these days, financial considerations play a large part in the decisions we make. I suppose the real challenge in our current economic times, is getting help from not only TBA, but also your state association, your local association/centre and outside sponsors to lessen the financial burdon so that you can follow your passion.

I think it's a great shame that Rachuig is fading away. I agree that the costs involved are quite substantial, but where has the pride gone in representing your state?

As a junior bowler, as well as most of my friends, we would talk about making the team one day and it was a great motivator for us all. As we truly believed that this was the benchmark in bowling to aim for - to proudly represent your state at a National level.

It's a shame to see that this "dream" is fading away now. Just the thought of representing my state one day gave me the drive to practice and improve my game.

I feel sorry for juniors in the future if this "dream" is lost - and they only hear of the once great Rachuig tournament through the reminiscing oldies.

Well and wisely put June and Garry - your points are clear and reflect the reality of where Rachuig is today - and more importantly WHY it is where it is today. Thus, surely it makes perfect sense to "adjust" the system of Rachuig as it presently is which [if the participation numbers are anything to go by] appears to be in serious need of work. Dragging the event along each year in the same form seeing it diminish in support and quality of performance surely isn't the answer.

Steve, June & Gary, all good points.

Whats the difference between where Rachuig was 15 years ago to where it is now, compared to the current tournament scene.
Is Rachuig really in any worse state than the current tournament scene in Australia.
15 years ago 120+ bowlers, today 60 is a good turn out to a nationally ranked tournament.
Are they going to scrap every tournament as well because of lack of interest.

QUIET PROBABLY.

If it was your dog you would have it put down surely!!.....We missed out on holding Rachuig over here this year (some lame excuse about the centre not being ready...bollocks) so if its a cost issue then lets see how many sack up next year as Im reliably informed that it will be at Joondalup in 2010. We can only wait and see.

Surely the final nail in the coffin.

Baron

just spent 2 hours typing for nothing ,have i been censored please let me know ,this was the 3rd attempt in short i realy had a go at everyone ,tba and especialy you george

June and Garry are spot on with there posts...costs are an issue, with everything we do in life and Rachuig is no exception...however as Garry says the passion on the lanes hasnt changed and that speaks volumes to the pride of those representing there state and shows that the pride hasnt gone.
My first team was 1996 and i still carry the same pride from making the team then, to making this years team...lets work on the problems which i think most would agree, is the costs not the format or the passion to make your state teams.
Greg,
I dont know that Rachuig in Perth would be a nail in relation to costs...really the only difference is airfares.....this year to Queensland return flights will be about $200 from Melb...and in the last few years flying to Perth for tournaments hasnt cost me anymore than $300 return...as long as we know the dates well in advance then often quite cheap flights are available...i would really look forward to a return to W.A

Paul Trotter

Back
Top Bottom