Does Rachuig need a serious upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following is a break down of costs as invoiced to each state association for their 2006 Rachuig teams.

Lineage 900.00
Masters Levy 294.55
Dinner Dance Tickets 736.38
Sports Medicine 150.00
Tournament Expenses 169.07 (this covers the medallions and plaques only)

Sub-Total 2250.00
GST 225.00
Total 2475.00

Additionally, I can tell you that it is not a paid holiday for the volunteers. Although some expenses are met they all suffer financial loses. Each took time off work and usually without pay since most are self employed. On top of this the 15 hour days are harder work than actually working anyway. If there was a union covering volunteers they'd be shocked at the conditions and hours.

On the topic of the $10,000 sponsorship. This was sourced from Events Tasmania, not AMF. TBA Tournament Account received $20.00 per head for each interstate visitor and verified by the completion of a survey. ALL of this money was allocated to prize fund and in the case of the 2006 Adult Naitonals it went towards Masters. So even though the rank and file contributed to this sponsorhip the elite scored ALL the benefits.

Game rate at Hobart was $5.50 inc GST.

The following is a break down of costs as invoiced to each state association for their 2006 Rachuig teams.
Lineage 900.00
Masters Levy 294.55
Dinner Dance Tickets 736.38
Sports Medicine 150.00
Tournament Expenses 169.07 (this covers the medallions and plaques only)
Sub-Total 2250.00
GST 225.00
Total 2475.00
Additionally, I can tell you that it is not a paid holiday for the volunteers. Although some expenses are met they all suffer financial loses. Each took time off work and usually without pay since most are self employed. On top of this the 15 hour days are harder work than actually working anyway. If there was a union covering volunteers they'd be shocked at the conditions and hours.
On the topic of the $10,000 sponsorship. This was sourced from Events Tasmania, not AMF. TBA Tournament Account received $20.00 per head for each interstate visitor and verified by the completion of a survey. ALL of this money was allocated to prize fund and in the case of the 2006 Adult Naitonals it went towards Masters. So even though the rank and file contributed to this sponsorhip the elite scored ALL the benefits.
Game rate at Hobart was $5.50 inc GST.

Thanks very much Peter.

I know working behind the scenes at tournaments is no picinic. Long hours with little reward normally. Thats why I used the word trip & not holiday because I know it aint no holiday.
Personally Ive lost 3 jobs through bowling Rachuig over the years. The last 2 years has probably cost $4,000-$5,000 a year to go away for 8-9 days if you take into account income lost through time off work you have to take to attend training, training costs, compulsory tournaments & the cost of Rachuig itself. But thats a sacrifice a lot of bowlers make & thats our/their choice.

Always seems to be the bowlers making the sacrifices, (its a pity some State body's dont make a few sacrifices to ensure the best team is available)
Buts thats another can of worms, better left for another day & another slanging match.

The last 2 years has probably cost $4,000-$5,000 a year to go away for 8-9 days if you take into account income lost through time off work you have to take to attend training, training costs, compulsory tournaments & the cost of Rachuig itself. But thats a sacrifice a lot of bowlers make & thats our/their choice.

Rob,

Personally, I wish it was only $4,000-$5,000 and 8-9 days. I'll be very glad to swap with you.

Try $150,000 per annum in lost income, goods and services provided not reimbursed, cash donations, sponsorship and 4-5 months a year of unpaid leave from work. Volunteers are not in it for the money.

In fact give me a volunteer to run an event any time, they're there because they wish to be and not because they have to be, like at work, and 90% of the time they do a better job.

Rob,
Personally, I wish it was only $4,000-$5,000 and 8-9 days. I'll be very glad to swap with you.
Try $150,000 per annum in lost income, goods and services provided not reimbursed, cash donations, sponsorship and 4-5 months a year of unpaid leave from work. Volunteers are not in it for the money.
In fact give me a volunteer to run an event any time, they're there because they wish to be and not because they have to be, like at work, and 90% of the time they do a better job.

Here Here Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Coburn
Rob,

Here Here Peter

Could not have said it better Jase, the hours the time and always with a smile on there face, with very little thanks from the bowlers , all very quick to blame when something goes wrong, but when right silence.

Yes but please tell me Volunteers aren't stupid, they wouldn't just do all this work and risk everything else, would they?

Most Volunteers does this work cause of the love of the game, and the fact that nobody else really wants to do it. But surely they understand their own limits or am I right their just stupid.

I spent unlimited time on trying to make tournaments and yes (SACUP and ATBA) at a cost to my family, but I knew my limits.

But nobody on here is going to get on and say how hard done by thru something they did out of love and passion and expect everyone to have sympathy from everyone else, because most of the time you won't get it, however if you need some tissue's just forward me your address and I'll gladly send you some.

Peter if you have lost $150,000 per annum, then I'm sorry, not very smart business on your behalf.

Rachuig is at it's lowest it has ever been, and I don't think it will ever retain the prestige it ever had. I blame the local TBASA for making it so difficult for some of the better competitors not being able to compete because of the crap they have to do and put up with. Cant vouch for the rest of the country.

Cheers

Tony

Well there's the answer - Get Peter to work & just donate the $150,000 & all the bowlers & Volunteers can go for nothing . THen everybody can be happy.

Dave :D :D

We need to stop living in the past with our sport and move forward…

You always find a few in our sport that want to compare the past and the present whether it be about lanes, equipment or representative sides…

From time to time we hear other sports players or commentators say you cannot compare players or rep teams from the past with the present and I agree 110% with this...

How about instead of arguing about how good Rachuig used to be or how good those players were in the 80’s, let’s do something about making Rachuig a tournament worth bowling…Lets face it, it is just Another tournament on the Nation calendar with two differences…

1 Its a team’s event and
2 You cannot win any money for your costly out lay…

Also if people want to bowl it and it costs them 2 grand to do so, and they are happy that’s great…It’s also ok if there not the best in there state either, least they are going to be giving 110% while they are out there, and not winging about how much the trip has cost them…

Like Androooo said why does he do it…Because he Loves it!!!!!

Let’s move forward…

Also if people want to bowl it and it costs them 2 grand to do so, and they are happy that’s great…It’s also ok if there not the best in there state either, least they are going to be giving 110% while they are out there, and not winging about how much the trip has cost them…
Like Androooo said why does he do it…Because he Loves it!!!!!
Let’s move forward…

From those of us who fit that bill - thank you for those comments. If you can't have the best, then get the best from the ones that you do get. ;)

Good post Jason spot on.
I do think though that Rachuig needs more than passion. I really believe it boils down to the cost of participating.
If we look at the Queensland based Association Challenge there is a real example of passion but also an example of affordability. I doubt that the high interest level would still be there if it cost anything like Rachuig.
I think Frawleys post has a huge amount of merit and I also think TBA needs to source at minimum an additional $14000 in sponsorship money.
This would give every member of the winning teams $1000 each, which would go at least part of the way towards reimbursing the cost of participating.
I know that money isn't always a cure-all but it sure goes a hell of a long way towards it.

Like I said before, if it costs $2,000, $4,000 or $5,000 & individuals are happy to pay that amount to represent there State, thats up to the individual to decide. If it has cost Peter $150,000, then that is something that he has obviously decided to do.

Jase said, why compare the past & present & "How about instead of arguing about how good Rachuig used to be or how good those players were in the 80’s, let’s do something about making Rachuig a tournament worth bowling"

Well if Rachuig was so Prestigous & held in such high regard in the 80's & now is at all time low.
Jeez, maybe they were doing something right back in the Dark Ages for it to be so successful.

And your right Jase, you can only go with the guys that have decided to try out. I know guys in S.A. though were the money factor isnt the issue. Its the bull**** "Its our way or its the highway" attitude by State Associations that has had the biggest effect on some of S.A.'s top bowlers trying out any more.

Also Jase, do you think if it really bothers me paying that amount of money to go away every year I would keep doing it. It wasnt a case of whinging about how much the trip costs. I was stating a fact thats what it cost me with the cost of the trip, compulsory tournaments & giving up days from work to attend training. And like you said, why does Androooo bowl. "because he loves it" you pay what its costs.

Oh, and I love the people that get on here and have a go at people living in the past.

Gee, 1 word should cover it.

DE VEER

Or is DE VEER 2 words.

I know guys in S.A. though were the money factor isnt the issue. Its the bull**** "Its our way or its the highway" attitude by State Associations that has had the biggest effect on some of S.A.'s top bowlers trying out any more.

Rob, I agree, to a point. Those guys you write of also tend to have an "It MY way or the highway" attitude as well. What is lacking is a compromise between the two sides, both of whom believe they are right and refuse to consider the possibility that maybe there is a better way, or at least a way that appeals to both sides.

Reality is though, that other amateur sports persons have to go through similar trial and tribulations financially and personally to represent their state and there are also State Associations that need to re-think the way they go about requiring their players to prepare.

If the two sides don't come together, talk and compromise, then amny of the best players will continue to stay away.

No future without the past................

This is also true to an extent, but there also needs to be some forward thinking as well. I know you don't like to practice and that you believe that our teams were successful without practice and preparation. BUT TIMES CHANGE and if we fail to change with them we get left behind anyway. As I said above it is about compromise. You can't, it appears and if everyone else thinks like that then there never will be compromise and this whole thread will be wasted.

You stated brenton
What is lacking is a compromise between the two sides, both of whom believe they are right and refuse to consider the possibility that maybe there is a better way, or at least a way that appeals to both sides.
You tend to forget brenton that all the rules are made buy the committee or the one. Use to be a time once where committees are formed by the bowling members and are there to serve the interest of it's members and rules were formed by all agreeable. I don't see too much input by the bowlers these days to evaluate what's necessary especially when it comes to Rachuig and it's trials and what is expected after you made the team.

You also said
This is also true to an extent, but there also needs to be some forward thinking as well. I know you don't like to practice and that you believe that our teams were successful without practice and preparation. BUT TIMES CHANGE and if we fail to change with them we get left behind anyway. As I said above it is about compromise. You can't, it appears and if everyone else thinks like that then there never will be compromise and this whole thread will be wasted.
I know there is preparation needed and get togethers and practise, I'm not against that at all. Just don't go overboard. There are people that have got commitments and a life other than bowling than having to turn up every weekend.

I have found there is no compromise to our local association as a requirement
to bowl rachuig you have to bowl state championships and if it clashed, they are not willing to even look at it and give some sort of consideration to that. Sure they introduced a extra squad so we could eventually bowl state titles as well but too late for me, couldn't change my other plans. So black and white to these rules, however I was told if the clash was one of there own TBA event they would have considered it. Wow gee thanks.......

So of us do live in the past Jase. Anything wrong with that.

Certainly as far as Rachuig goes it certainly hasn't improved since then...

You tend to forget brenton that all the rules are made buy the committee or the one. Use to be a time once where committees are formed by the bowling members and are there to serve the interest of it's members and rules were formed by all agreeable.

I recall back in "the good old days" Marion Smith ran the trials etc with an iron fist, no correspondence entered into and it was her way or the highway.

And when we won in 1987, we ALL went to the gym every week, a Wednesday or Thursday night as I remember for about 3 months in the lead up. Did us no harm either. But that is neither here nor there in relation to this discussion.

Yes I remembered Marion Smith, she was part of the state committee, I know I was part of it too, back when I was vice president of the SATBA. wasn't all her way.

So we won in 1988 in Melbourne the year after, did we go to the gym, I don't think so. Cant see me doing that!

Only thing you right is neither here nor there in relation to this discussion.

Well what a surprise...Another Rachuig thread on this forum turned into a **** fight…Any wonder this sport and competition is so ****ed with all non-positive thoughts to help it along…And people wonder why they don’t get anyone posting regarding Rachuig…

I told you Andrew, starting threads regarding Rachuig is a complete waste of peoples time and My web hosting space…

If there was a way to redeem the majority of the cost via prize money, then there would be more *better* (perhaps confident) bowlers trying out every year.

Lets stop looking at OUR past as a sport, as while successful at the time, certainly wasnt sustainable on its own, and look at sports that were not only popular way back when, but are thriving now!

Lets:

WHORE OUT OUR RACHUIG PLAYERS!

ADVERTISING is where it is at. Each state should be proactively be trying to secure major advertisers to their teams.

Holden
Macdonalds
Jim Beam
APL, NPL...
Hotels
Airline companies
Petrol companies
Computer companies
Software companies
Mobile phones
Car HIRE companies
etc etc etc...

Hell, if Holden wanna pay for me to travel (on QANTAS), bowl and show off their branding on my shirt, im gunna let em! (Ford may be another story ;)
While im there, im going to go to the local HOTEL, drink JIM BEAM and play the Aussie poker league.

This is where other sports are cashing up their athletes, and their athletes work hard to better themselves...

Does any state team have any decent sponsors currently?

If there was a way to redeem the majority of the cost via prize money, then there would be more *better* (perhaps confident) bowlers trying out every year.
Lets stop looking at OUR past as a sport, as while successful at the time, certainly wasnt sustainable on its own, and look at sports that were not only popular way back when, but are thriving now!
Lets:
WHORE OUT OUR RACHUIG PLAYERS!
ADVERTISING is where it is at. Each state should be proactively be trying to secure major advertisers to their teams.
Holden
Macdonalds
Jim Beam
APL, NPL...
Hotels
Airline companies
Petrol companies
Computer companies
Software companies
Mobile phones
Car HIRE companies
etc etc etc...
Hell, if Holden wanna pay for me to travel (on QANTAS), bowl and show off their branding on my shirt, im gunna let em! (Ford may be another story ;)
While im there, im going to go to the local HOTEL, drink JIM BEAM and play the Aussie poker league.
This is where other sports are cashing up their athletes, and their athletes work hard to better themselves...
Does any state team have any decent sponsors currently?
tonx i thought u would be strickly 4 and 20, mrs Macs and herbet adams kind off guy

You would bowl for pie ;) wouldnt ya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom