Does Rachuig need a serious upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
Rachuig has been largely unchanged for years and the interest level in all States goes up and down and mainly down.
I dont think there is too much wrong with the existing format, but what would improve the status of this Competition?

Money, certainly. But how do we get the money?
Years ago all States used to get a travel allowance from the National body but that was the closest we ever got to National sponsorship.

It costs any Bowling Centre a lot of money to host a Nationals - I believe the current amount charged by TBA is $10000 - Maybe some of that could be used for prizemoney?

TBA does need ideas, but practical ideas that they could impliment without too much difficulty.
This has been discussed before but I make no apologies for revisiting it. What do others think?

how much does it cost a rachuig bowler to get to the nationals $1500 - $2500(you could proabably travel and compete in 3 - 4 national tournaments for that money and if your at a rachuig level have a chance of making some money back) thats a massive investment to have the honour of representing your state/zone with not alot of potiental money to gain.

Why cant each state put a $3 or $4 Levy on their sanctions to cover rachuig expenses.

"Why cant each state put a $3 or $4 Levy on their sanctions to cover rachuig expenses."

why should every other bowler pay for the state teams to go away? if you want to bowl states you should be prepared to pay the costs involved

and if you did pay part of rachuig iyou should give all state teams some form of assistance which would mean increasing the costs for the average league bowler who already gets nothing for their memberships

Quiter frankly, i would gladly pay 4 dollars a year if the outcome was getting the best bowlers in the state to represent our our fine state and produce a quality tournament.

not that im saying previous teams were good at all. but a lot of bowlers dont even try out because they cant afford it, or feel they could use 2-3 thousand dollars elswhere.

like seriously, how many local tournaments can you enter for 3 thousand dollars...

Until Rachuig players either become funded or substantial prizemoney is put up, the cream will still stay away from our premier teams event. Given the costs associated with Rachuig along with the time involved in roll-offs, training and fundraising, there is little incentive, other than state pride, to commit yourself to representing your state and in this day and age of rising costs of living, pride doesn't cut it in most cases.

I recall SA's 1987 Rachuig teams, out of the 14 players who went away, 6 lost their jobs as a result of taking the time off to go away. No-one should have to go through that to represent their state, and few, if anyone is prepared to do that now. Nor should they be expected to.

I recall SA's 1987 Rachuig teams, out of the 14 players who went away, 6 lost their jobs as a result of taking the time off to go away. No-one should have to go through that to represent their state, and few, if anyone is prepared to do that now. Nor should they be expected to.
That's a very good point.
I won the State Masters here one year, and to go to Brisbane to play in the Australian Masters I had to give back the money I won from winning State ($270 I think) and put another few hundred in to fund the week away.
Upon my return to Hobart, I lost my job at Parks & Rec for going away to bowl, in the words of my Field Manager who sacked me 'Bowling's not a sport!".
However, in the same place I worked, there were a few Clarence footballers who were given a week off only a month or so before that to go and celebrate their achievement of winning the TFL Statewide League premiership.
So I can fully understand why people would be reticent to take time off work with grubby little arseholes like that for bosses.
Employment's hard enough to get these days.

I have felt for a while that rolling off for Rauchig is not the right solution by itself. If there was something like a state series (comprising state champs, masters, three or four major tournaments) which led to an invitation to roll-off (based on your performance in the state series), there may be some positives to start.

Firstly, Rauchig trials become an "elite" option. In order to make the Rauchig trials, you have to perform over the year against the best the state has to offer.

Secondly, you may get better turn outs in local tournaments as more bowlers enter (just to make sure than can trial for Rauchig). Having the elite compete more regularly would be great for bowlers of my level.

Third, you could put a levy on each qualifying tournament of $5 and say $1 per entry in state champs. This levy can then be used to support/pay for the various state teams.

Fourth, a state series has a better chance of gaining major sponsorship than would a series of individual tournaments.

etc etc

This is nly a rough idea and obviously needs a lot more thought.

cheers n beers
Des

Des has a great idea.

It probably comes back to looking not just at Rachuig as an individual event, but to look at it as part of a series of things. State based series (of varying levels), state based rankings, including sponsorship of state series, and with the elite being subsidised at a National Level.
Looking right across these forums, there are numerous posts and ideas which point towards a National revamp to make this a serious sport. With an aim to get some serious sponsor dollars. Bottom line is that bowlers need to show unity towards a common goal - whatever that may be.

VB

In the words of one elite bowler I was talking to a few years ago now: "I could go overseas and bowl a tournament or two, with a chance at winning some money back, for the same cost or less as it would cost me to bowl Rachuig. I'll never roll off for Rachuig whilever it's like that".

I totally agree with that statement.

why even have rolls. Theres a national ranking system in place and i could be wrong dont they use that to select a national side.

Why not have rankings for each state based on results of Local and natonal tournaments, the top seven ranked bowlers at the cut off make the team.

I know in QLD that would be possible because theres heaps of tournaments up here and that would reward the bowlers who perform all year round.

i think the problem with that is that some of the bowlers who bowl rachuig dont bowl tourneys in qld alot. morty for one. He is a great bowler but if you use ranking from tourneys he wouldnt be there cause he doesnt bowl them.

just one example. i beleive it is a great idea but you will still need to get the class bowlers to turn up and bowl even if they get invited. inviting the top 7 ranked bowlers is all good but how many of them would want to bowl in it? unless you can make costs fully covered i doubt all 7 would go away.

In addition to that, I can't see something like that working in WA, NT or Tasmania.. even SA.

Exactly. Might be an OK idea for the bigger states who get lots of numbers at their tournaments and quite a few for the roll offs... but doubt it would work in the smaller states.

Plus, the lead up for most teams is quite prolonged as it is to enable enough team trainings, get togethers and also to give the committees enough time to have everything organised for the trip to Nationals. Can only imagine that this suggestion would prolong the lead up even more to give time for everything to be put in place along the way - not sure how many people would be keen for that!!

That's one of the positives of roll offs - in two weekends (or only one weekend in some cases) it's all over and done with, you have your teams and things can start moving forwards to the Nationals without any more fuss.

I think the major thing that needs to be looked at is getting some prize money for Rachuig - and not linked to it through Masters like last year. But I'm as lost as anyone on how this can happen... :)

"Why cant each state put a $3 or $4 Levy on their sanctions to cover rachuig expenses."

why should every other bowler pay for the state teams to go away? if you want to bowl states you should be prepared to pay the costs involved

and if you did pay part of rachuig iyou should give all state teams some form of assistance which would mean increasing the costs for the average league bowler who already gets nothing for their memberships

Maybe people should be asking themselves "what I can do for the sport and not what the sport can do for me" Surely $3-4 extra per year isn't going to break anyone's bank account and this would go a long long to fund state teams and raise the profile of our sport.

Dinesh

When I was in the Tasmanian Golf team, EVERY club member in the state paid a $5 levy, which went towards the State teams funding.

When we went away, we got our uniforms, 3 doz golf balls ($10 a ball), bag, coverall, airfares, accomodation, lunch and $35 a day out of pocket expenses given to us!

Long way from the $1800 I paid to bowl Rachuig in Townsville. Why do I do it? I love it!

Yes Androoooooooooooooooooooooo, but golfers have "respect" for their representative players. Too many bowlers do not have any respect for the players that have worked their butts of to achieve something in this sport

[Rant On]
"ELITIST SNOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I hear being yelled at me, Gee there is something new! I agree that some top players have been less than forthcoming with their time and less than gracious when dealing with Jow Bowler, but the majority are good paople who deserve a little respect for what they have achieved.
[Rant Off]

Some representative golfers are also elitist snobs too, but they still have the respect of the average club golfer, thats why they get the funding out of members dues. Might be something to do with the different culture of club golfers in the main. I would also suspect that some do not know about this funding of rep teams. If they do, then I tip my hat to them for not complaining.

Golfers forking out $5 in COMPULSORY levies has nothing to do with respect. Respect is something that is earnt.

I respected Cassius Clay as a boxer - not just because he could fight pretty well - but because of his respect for those around him, good boxers or not. I cannot say that about Mike Tyson.

Just because some people regard themselves as "elite" because they practiced long and hard to get to where they are, are they better respected than those who also practice long and hard but just can't tip the scales? Respect has very little, if not nothing, to do with how you bowl. It's something that is earnt by the bowler, not a hand out.

Someone mentioned sponsorship. Now that's a good idea. The bowlers who grace the Rachuig shirts are, in the main, good bowlers (but not always the best) so surely they have a good case for getting a decent sponsor.

Just my opinion (God Save De Veer - poor bloody frowned upon un-sponsored great sports people!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom