Rachuig Politics

How about this...

You take top 5. Rachuig becomes 5 man teams, not 7. If you go, you go for the lot! The roll off would have to be over at least 2 weekend over, preferably, 4 different patterns. 8 games each day. I don't think 16 games allows the best to surface, however over 32, on 4 different patterns, the cream will rise, or they won't represent their state.
As for Rachuig itself. Oil once. Oil in the morning, and then allows the teams to adjust to the lanes breaking down. Allow the more skilled teams, the ones that can communicate with each other and read the changing lane conditions flourish. Even have 3 different patterns. Short, medium, long. Easy, playable, and tough. I don't care. We need to challenge the bowlers. This isn't a weekend handicap event. This is the PREMIER team event in the country. The success of the sport series in many states have shown that people are keen for a challenge.

Cow

All very good comments, but speaking to alot of bowlers from alot of different states, another factor effecting roll off numbers and the cause of many of the countries best bowlers from not bothering lay's with the conditions being set by State Bodies...

It seems that the ever growing Conditions outlined in your entry form, should you make the team, turn alot of bowlers off and thus they dont bother.

Now the conditions i refer too are nothing to do with the fact that you are required to train, improve your game and to do team events. Its in realation to the amount of these of training sessions, and the compulsory "you will be kicked out if you dont attend" attitude and the "you will do as we say when we say it" supervision that seems to be placed on you once youve arrived at the event.

State committees need to remember that the bowlers are committing alot of their time and money to represent their respective state, and more common sense and understanding needs to be given in regards to the conditions expected of team members.

I bowled for serveral years for the ACT, and whilst we had results both good and bad, team members were given the flexibility of missing training sessions if work or other commitments came up. Yes we had some sessions that we asked for all bowlers to attend, but no one was ever kicked out for not attending a session if they had a legitimate reason.

By being given this flexibility, I didnt mind paying over $1000 to travel and bowl for my State.

Brett

I said it when I was a board member and I know I have said it before on here...the event should be on every 2 years, On the off year, there could be a new team event that is a money event to coincide with the nationals. That format could be anything it wanted to be....or there could be nothing...does it really matter?

By having rachuig every 2 years gives the states, bowlers and TBA more time to raise or save money, it gives our top level bowlers who live busy lives to have a life every second year...maybe have a holiday without bowling balls.

Life got busy for everyone in the early 90's ....but we are still trying to keep up a tradition that has been dying since then. I really think that bowlers will look forward to the event more by having it every 2 years. Other than that I think the whole 2nd week of the nationals needs to be looked at....its also a tradition that has gone on long enough. Why isnt there a large singles tournament on during that week? Why shouldnt the host centre be obliged to find sponsorship to assist in the prizefund? Could it be a handicap event?? does Rachuig really need to be 3 days...why not 2?. I have always felt that the Nationals needs to be a bowling festival. There is a reason why bowlers are not playing Rachuig or the National/masters....if the product is not what they want, who wants to pay big bucks for just another week at Rachuig.

In summary...maybe it would be better having an off year and maybe its not just Rachuig but the slightly boring Nationals that is keeping bowlers away from what is a great event. Or maybe I am way off track.

still love to keep in touch

Andrew

In very general, broad terms I tend to agree with Andrew and Tony.

If you look at other sports over the last 10 - 15 years or more, they have not only changed, some have almost re-invented themselves. Why? to keep not only participants interested and motivated, but to draw in more spectators who tastes have changed and indeed require more "exciting" viewing. Because of this, these sports continue to pull big crowds and the sponsorship $.

Cricket has gone from tests to one dayers to 20/20. Who would have thought a few decades ago that you would be watching a day night match? Similar can be said for Rugby Union and the different levels of competition that have been brought in.

Case in point is also bowling in the US. I can't believe that I have been watching (on foxtell) teams of high ranked US bowlers competing in a tournament on outside lanes!

We are far from a position in Australia to anything like that, but what can be done is to take a look at what we do now and give it a facelift (little by little). Nationals may be a place to start. A facelift might just inspire those bored and ready to throw in the bowling towel or even better still might attract new people to bowling.

Just my 2c worth.

Angy

I tried out once for Rachuig in WA many years ago. This was not long after one of my friends actually qualified for the team after many rounds. Yet, he was de-selected from the team and the reason was because of his age. It caused an uproar way back then and things like this probably do go on in this day and age.

Rachuig should be a fun event. There are way too many "serious" people involved that think too highly of themselves in as far as how the event should be run.

It is no wonder so many are not trying out for the teams due to the high cost of qualifying for it.

George has a good idea with the bi-annual event. Could this be looked into?

Back
Top Bottom