Does anyone give a stuff?!

S

steve_jones

Interesting - earlier today I posted a message relevant to bowling's inability [at least pre 2012] to be a medal sport in the Olympics. I have noted some 250 or so "hits" to that message in the past 8 hours..........not bad, I guess! Yet there is not ONE response to date!!

Does anyone give a stuff!

Does this mean readers are content to accept the outcome?? Of course your own one contribution can't change the determination but you CAN at least have your say - if you give a stuff!

Perhaps this [further] means there is no one from the present Australian governing body [what's it called today by the way? - frankly I have zero idea of what the functioning organisation is called, what it does, who respresents it, what they do, where they come from, what their, if any, ideals might be, etc, etc] who gives a stuff about about the sports ambition to be a medal sport in the Olympics [be it near or long term]....can anyone please advise?

They once had a media director [whatever the governing body was called - was it TBA - stuffed if I know- this persons name escapes me frankly - perhaps she is no longer...that would be OK - because some years back she kept me waiting for an hour for a meeting and I was "giving" away money [some AUS$5000] to the TBA...God knows how long I would have had to wait if I had been asking for something from her/them]. Does this person still breath - is she/he paid? Who by - how much - what are the results - who defines the role - and determines the productivity??

Anyone care to comment?

I read this Forum regularly and have found over recent months a clear lack of interest and/or contributions by and from those who used to "post" some time back [good minds I mean] - does this fathom that there is apathy from the inner circle [ie; those of influence - and I don't mean the pains in the arse who moan and groan about topics of little or no interest].

Perhaps the "inner circle" is no longer!? Let me know what you think?

Perhaps "George F" is the leading "mind" of the day....George is a good man and a friend but even "he" would say his focus is on the lanes and NOT off them [at least regularly]. So it's simply impossible for the likes of George and other serious players to lead from the front to get the sport moving!

I see the topics on this forum becoming lacklustre - I see zero interest from the governing body - do they exist? - yet I see significant interest in "reading" whatever contributions there may be that are posted, yet very little [if any] alternative serious views are tabled - what does this mean???

To me it seems there are but a few "forum" players and a raft of "hangers on".

Let me ask again - is there a governing body - who the hell are they and what do they do?? Perhaps it might be that there is an alternative site for bowling that puts "totalbowling" into the dark of web sites insofar as the sport is concerned - could someone pls advise accordingly? Perhaps totalbowling is worthless as a site for people who care about the sport - perhps the TBA or whatever it's called this week has an alternative web page that is the beacon of the future for bowling!

Pls let me know if this is the case???

It is my view that a memo along the lines of that I posted earlier today relevant to bowling's exclusion [until at least 2012] from the Olympics would have, in but a short time past, created huge debate and [even if it meant nothing to the overall] critical comment.

Today - in 8 hours of being posted- ZERO comment!!!!!!!!

Based on this, it appears to me that the IOC has got their call 100% correct - bowling excluded - no one gives a stuff.

Who cares!? The IOC would think.........you can all get stuffed....and, my view, based on what I have seen recently, you all deserve it frankly!

Jones

Here's your reply Steve...

The TBA has officially decided that this site is a blight on the sport of bowling. Peter Coburn who is currently the #1 honcho with the Australian governing body has decreed that posting on this site is "off limits" to members of the TBA board. Furthermore, all members of the Australian representative teams are forbidden to post anything deemed to be a negative remark or opinion. How's that for a start?

I still voice my opinion now and then however the majority of other posters on the forum think I'm just a troublemaker and stirrer. They'd rather continue to be buffaloed by the TBA and unscrupulous proprietors and tournament directors, than stand up for their rights.

I call it as I see it...and to those who think that is a bad trait to posess, I say good luck..you're going to need it!

Sadly, the Olympic quest has been dealt another blow. As I see it, the "only" way that bowling will ever be included in the olympic games will be to "buy" it's way in..Just like some of the other pseudo sports have done.

Wayne

Wayne,

What I have read of course is your view. I know but of only a few "unscrupulous proprietors" in this country - and I have met almost all of them - and as for "buying" into the Olympics - I can state with 100% certainty that process, if it ever happened [now I'm the one being careful] ended in 1988. As for the rest - well I will have to take [or not] your word for it.

Thx for your comments.

Steve.

Steve

I was planning to comment this morning on the Olympics topic, and will still do so.

FYI - what Wayne says is correct. Ive even gone so far as offering TBA their own forum here - one that they completely control and can moderate as they see fit. The response ? Thanks, but no thanks. (it was more along the lines of if bowlers want to contact us they can do so directly).

I keep getting reminded by them that they have a real lack of calls from people enquiring about information. That doesnt say to me that people dont want the information, it says to me that perhaps the process isnt working and it's time to look at something else.

My offer is still open to TBA ...

Steve

As a 'bowler' I really dont know what I can do to further our Olympic quest. I keep up to date with news from around the world and pro-actively do my best for the sport.

On the 20th of August this year bowlingdigital posted an interesting article about bowlings quest, and from what I read it was actually positive.

"IOC President recognizes Bowling as candidate for Olympic Program "August 20, 2004

If you have watched the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games you may have seen some bowling officials like FIQ President Steve Hontiveros, also IOC member of the Philippines. Representing Japan were FIQ Olympic Task Force member Mr. Nakano and the former WTBA President and President of the Japan Bowling Congress, Kyohei Akagi.

Both, Nakano and Akagi, have been lobbying for bowling on the Olympic Program since many years and continued their work during the IOC Executive Board meeting and IOC Session, August 7-16, in Athens.

"Mr. Nakano and I stayed at the Hilton, the IOC Headquarter", said Akagi. "We talked with 80% of IOC members including President Dr. Jacques Rogge and Honorary President Juan Antonio Samaranch."

A reporter of the "Asahi Shimbun", one of the major newspapers in Japan interviewed Dr. Rogge (pictured on the left) and the IOC President mentioned bowling as one of the sports in a waiting position for the Olympic Program.

"That means IOC President recognizes bowling as a candidate for the program," Akagi (pictured right) states. "I think we have to start systematic activities. Coming back from Athens, I became confident of achieving the Olympic status. We must realize our ultimate dream."

From this Steve I can only draw positive conclusions. The IOC battle is not one for people like myself nor TBA I beleive. The battle and quest lies in the hands of FIQ. Yes TBA can assist and support FIQ where possible but on the scale of things, Australia is very small and as you know it takes a collective group not just one individual.

As for totalbowling, its not too bad, without it bowling's media coverage and exposure in Australia would be limited. Take care mate and I hope you keep posting on these boards, you have a lot to contribute along with Wayne (even with his twisted views, lol).

Steve,

Do I give a stuff?

Most certainly I do, but it seems when I post on this subject, as I have done in the past, I cop criticism from posters who, in the main, have been in the sport for a very short time. While I have a hide like a rhino, I thought my comments, especially historicalinsights (like Wayne) might have benefited those relatively new to the sport.

I posted something on here a while back and copped nothing but bagging for being negative. Negativity had nothing to do with it, it was purely fact, just as you have posted.

The only way forward for bowling is the professional route. We WON'T be getting into the olympics, at least not in my lifetime, so the next best option is to follow the professional route to give our youth another avenue to aspire to. Who knows, maybe the attrition rate may be slowed if there is a professional association bringing elite level bowling to a centre near you. Something to create some REAL enthusiasm, and goals to aspire to.

Yes I give a stuff. Maybe too much.

Steve,
sounds like you just fell out the wrong side of the bed mate.

Who cares!? The IOC would think.........you can all get stuffed....and, my view, based on what I have seen recently, you all deserve it frankly!

We all deserve it?

Hope you posted the same an the Hong Kong forum, if there is one, and not just on this site.

Personally I get sick of seeing sports such as 'hand ball' (politically let in) and syncronized swimming (in for who knows why) to name just two sports taking up space for what could be deemed more popular or in our opinions more qualified sports.

George,
finally someething that I entirely agree with you on.

Rob

it would be great to see if australia or even the asia pacific area could get it's on pro tour. would be great for the sport I reckon. but being still only young in the game I don't really know how viable something like that would be

An Asian Pro Tour isnt as far off as you think............... (I'm not talking the dodgy ABF one either)

dead set george? i would be really interested in knowing more, if you had any more information on it would you be able to email it to [email protected] for me thanks? that's exciting to hear none the less, finally people like you and belmonte have something to really work for but also to be more economically viable unlike trying to make it on the pba

not saying that none of you guys couldn't make it on there was just more meaning that the price of living is so much higher over there,and it would be hard to keep going when you haven't got a job or big time sponsor to back you in it

24 hours later and save for Brenton [well said Brenton] and Graham, and to some degree George ..........................

[George who the hell do you think the FIQ represents if it's not bowlers directly and by association National Federations - wake up champ!....if the TBA doesn't care about Olympic medal acreditation for bowling who the hell should care - if it's not the TBA's responsibility as THE accredited [charted] entity of the FIQ/WTBA in this country to promote bowling as a possible Olympic medal sport then I sure don't know who else formally has that role in Australia - extract your head out of your arse boy - and, resist the temptation to turn every post into your own agenda of some remote concept of a professional tour in Asia - believe me when I say - it will not happen before you turn grey - and if you need the facts as to why then call me and I will simply detail in less than 3 minutes the sound economic impossibility of it all - unless of course there is a fairy God father/mother somewhere in the region who simply wants to give away buckets of dollars for no sound fiscal return...................

.................zip .....by way of any response that is even remotely intelligent relevant to the real topic at hand.

Good luck!

Jones

Steve

I really hate sticking up for TBA (goes against my personal values) but on this occasion I have to, direct from their website....

"TBA is recognised by the Australian Olympic Committee, Australian Commowealth Games Association, the Federation Internationale des Quilleurs (FIQ) and the World Tenpin
Bowling Association (WTBA), the Australian Sports Commission, and the Australian Institute of Sport as the official governing body for the sport in Australia.

Although tenpin bowling and TBA are recognised (and have voting rights) by the AOC and the ACGA, the lobbying process to obtain entry into the Olympic Games and the Commonwealth Games is the duty of the FIQ & WTBA (World Tenpin Bowling Association) as the world governing body.

So as you can see, theres not much we can do except hope. TBA are doing a pretty good job on most levels at the moment, I hope it continues.

As for the Asian Tour thing, yes there is a few people with bucket loads of money who are looking at expanding their tourament series to create a real and valuable tour. I will tell you now, there will be at least 6 tournaments in the Asian Region next year worth $20000 US for 1st or more (This year there was 5). In 2006, that will probably expand to about 8. It's no golf prizemoney but it gives bowlers like Belmo and myself something to aim at.

Steve, I'm a bowler who really enjoys the sport plain and simple. If there was something more I could do to promote it, I would. I truly think Australia's next step is to get back on TV, from there, REGULAR TV would be nice. Raising the profile will raise awareness of the sport and will help our Olympic quest 10 fold. But until that happens, we can only hope, I know I am.....

Yours in bowling

George

hi steve
i agree some bowlers dont seem to care thats why we have what we have. T B A have there own website and dont seem to like this one.
nyone who has a thought provoking post usually gets bagged or personality attack.
my views on bowling as an olympic sport
the only sport that i know of that allows athletes to
SMOKE
DRINK
the only sport that you do not have to train ask any bowler and they will tell you that.
the perception of bowlers as being beer drinkers etc.
the luck factor what other sport can you miss and still get a good score
we need to be more proffessiional in our outlook, and the way we promote ourselves and our sport.
maybe we need to look at our sport as a sport and niot a recreational activity.
recognise our top bowlers like other sports recognise their top athletes.
the list goes on
these are some of my views
H

HSV,

Agree with you that we need to move tenpin bowling towards a "SPORT" and not "Recreation" as it is seen at the moment. There is a number of reasons why this has happened, and not pointing any fingers here, but the big name of bowling in Australia "AMF", has pushed our sport more towards a recreational activity, than a sport, and l am sure this is more due to the market place, and ensuring that they have a viable business, and l see nothing wrong with that.

What we need to do is find a way to bring back the SPORT element of bowling. This will assist in making it a more professional outfit, but of course to do that we need more money in the sport, to allow the best to be able to be professional, and not have to reley on a number of other things to support them. At the moment a numebr of bowlers look at the prizefunds, and go, for the costs involved l need to finish top 3 to make a profit, and that is not good for a start.

I am not saying l have the answers, far from it, very far from it.

I would love to see bowling in the olympics, and Steve l do care, but really what can we as the bowling public do. The rules are the rules for getting the sport into the olympics, and we have to abide by them, for the sake of bowling worldwide. It only takes one bad egg to stuff the process for everyone. I am sure that the WTBA & FIQ are doing all they can within the rules. What would you like us to reply with on your other post that started this one. oh what a surprise maybe, or well it happened again l see or we will just have to wait till next time then or oh well that means l am to old now to try or **** happens or l mean l can on and on, but what would it achieve really. Look thanks ofr the bit of information that we will have to wait again it was great to know, even if disapointing.

Steve Jones I also would like to see bowling in the Olympics.
If you have a constructive suggestion to make as to how I can help, then how about making it, instead of bagging people because you didn't get the responses you wanted?

Back
Top Bottom