Question

Bigsy

Bigsalis
Hi Guys,

I am sure that this has been brought up before but does bowling in Australia have "one" governing body?

It just seems like there is always conflict between bowlers and associations when trying to get answers or explainations, so wouldn't it make sense to merge all associations into one governing body for Australian tenpin bowling, thus, hopefully making things a bit easier and smoother when issues are brought up?

Also, could this governing body then apply for some sort of government funding to help promote tenpin bowling and / or subsidise some or all of the cost of talanted Australian bowlers competing for their country?

Is this a realistic goal or am I pissing into the wind on this one?

Cheers,

Bigsy...

My understanding is ... Could be wrong about parts but I'll do my best ...

There is one Governing body (TBA), runs Australian level event (Ranked and Nationals), writes the "rule book" (which is based of the american "world" one). Deals with the Aus Gov on issues of funding and other matters.

All States bodies (TBAQ ...) are under the TBA umbrella though are organisations (associations) unto themselves, running state development, coaching and coaching development, state tournaments so fourth (state opens/championships). Deals with State gov regarding funding and other matters.

Local association collect fees (for TBA) and run local area tournaments (area opens/championships).

Centres run centre based tournament's (fun one's, 9 no-tap ...).

Other bowler run tournaments also exist (Lady XXXX's Twin tour, Wide Bay Circuit ...)

TQI is a Queensland association on level with TBAQ, an offshoot that is connected TBA (though has it's own registration system and not affiliated with any TBA associations under TBA (i.e. State/local). Most states have similar associations I believe (looooooong story). They run things like the ECCC.

Phew! Now I'm confused!

So in short yeah your pissing in the wind, a restructure is needed, though that's another debate that IS ongoing from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back! Good Luck!

Sorry for Queensland/Brisbane centric info, it's where I am based. :)

No probs, I bowled in Kedron for a season myself.

Thanks for the info though. Sounds like tenpin bowling is all over the place at the moment !!!

Bigsy...

Actually, I think the state level bodies are actual branches of TBA with the exception of ACT TBA which is a licensed association.

I could be wrong, I've never been involved with the other states. ACT TBA is definitely a licensed association though.

Was thinking about this the other day actually and am going to be FLAMED for this but ...

I see the structure is somewhat similar to our Government, Federal - State - Local - Branch structure.

Debate is rife (in Queensland anyways) that the local districts be amalgamated into super districts (which has happened somewhat), State level (though currently important - TBAQ are doing some great things as I have stated in previous threads) could be better served amalgamated into branches of the Federal level (slowly happening with Federal Government trying to take financial control back for some Departments within the State Government - Yes I'm looking at you Queensland Health!).
Not so that the state bodies disappear, but more so to give TBA more of a directing role between all of the states, to move all state in the same direction. In essence creating uniform pathways for all states and funneling the talent through each level towards the ultimate goal of National Representation.

I think this structure simplification could work for the betterment for both Australian politics and our sport. I am trying to explain a lot in a little amount of space, obviously each level change can be a policy paper 60 pages long in itself, so I have glossed over a lot of the nitty gritty involved. Even though the changes seem drastic it is in essence moving control from a disjointed all for one and one for one situation, to a top down control, giving TBA the resources and power it needs to direct the future of all aspects of our sport towards providing a nationally unified pathway for the participants of our sport. That way the TBA really can be held accountable!! :p ;)

Better stop now before I say anything further to alienate myself! :surrender:

Just opinion, please don't hurt me! eeeek! :giljotiini: :oops:

Was thinking about this the other day actually and am going to be FLAMED for this but ...

I see the structure is somewhat similar to our Government, Federal - State - Local - Branch structure.

Debate is rife (in Queensland anyways) that the local districts be amalgamated into super districts (which has happened somewhat), State level (though currently important - TBAQ are doing some great things as I have stated in previous threads) could be better served amalgamated into branches of the Federal level (slowly happening with Federal Government trying to take financial control back for some Departments within the State Government - Yes I'm looking at you Queensland Health!).
Not so that the state bodies disappear, but more so to give TBA more of a directing role between all of the states, to move all state in the same direction. In essence creating uniform pathways for all states and funneling the talent through each level towards the ultimate goal of National Representation.

I think this structure simplification could work for the betterment for both Australian politics and our sport. I am trying to explain a lot in a little amount of space, obviously each level change can be a policy paper 60 pages long in itself, so I have glossed over a lot of the nitty gritty involved. Even though the changes seem drastic it is in essence moving control from a disjointed all for one and one for one situation, to a top down control, giving TBA the resources and power it needs to direct the future of all aspects of our sport towards providing a nationally unified pathway for the participants of our sport. That way the TBA really can be held accountable!! :p ;)

This is pretty much what I was trying to say I suppose, but I don't know enough about bowling understand it completely. I'm just a 180 avg, 3 game a week hack from Melton who is interested in getting into bowling a bit more and perhaps entering a few local competitions.

Also, does anyone know where to find a coach in Western suburbs?

It sounds like the TBA are doing one thing and the state bodies are doing something else.

You're right though, it sounds a lot like the government !!!

Bigsy...

That is about the most common sense thing I have ever seen written on this site. I too believe this needs to happen before the sport goes kaput and becomes a social whore so to speak and no longer accomodates the league or tournament bowler.

Then you would have interpretations of all aspects under 1 banner. This is desperately needed as at the moment 1 hand doesnt know how to talk to the other (national to state, state to local especially)

Well put. Can't grill that thought at all mate.

If you care to plow through the TBA Constitution, you will get all the answers. ( I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but all the info is there.)
Just to set the record straight - perfectly ordinary members put together the constitution, which laid down formally the structure that they decided the TBA should have. They did this following the demise of the ATBC, when,thankfully, various interested and dedicated people had voluntered to conduct an interim body to look after bowling's, and bowlers, interests in the meantime. This was later formalised into TBA.

Following a meeting in Sydney, of people from around Australia, who had been ATBC members, a 3 person committee was delegated to write a constitution, which reflected the decisions by those people, meeting and 'workshopping' over a couple of days.

That constitution was then vetted by those people to ensure that it reflected accurately what they had decided, and was then registered with the Companies Office, etc.
Obviously there have been amendments to that original document, but I'm sure it still reflects the original decisions of the then interested members. I'm also of the view that it is quite capable of amendment to-day to reflect the majority view of how the organisation should operate to-day, if members believed that change was warranted.

If you care to plow through the TBA Constitution, you will get all the answers. ( I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but all the info is there.)
Just to set the record straight - perfectly ordinary members put together the constitution, which laid down formally the structure that they decided the TBA should have. They did this following the demise of the ATBC, when,thankfully, various interested and dedicated people had voluntered to conduct an interim body to look after bowling's, and bowlers, interests in the meantime. This was later formalised into TBA.

Following a meeting in Sydney, of people from around Australia, who had been ATBC members, a 3 person committee was delegated to write a constitution, which reflected the decisions by those people, meeting and 'workshopping' over a couple of days.

That constitution was then vetted by those people to ensure that it reflected accurately what they had decided, and was then registered with the Companies Office, etc.
Obviously there have been amendments to that original document, but I'm sure it still reflects the original decisions of the then interested members. I'm also of the view that it is quite capable of amendment to-day to reflect the majority view of how the organisation should operate to-day, if members believed that change was warranted.

Jim

Pretty well said

The history of all this is being lost overtime and of course
it started in the very early days of the 70's when the big split happened
from the then ATBC because of an audit issue when the other large
associations then took on membership IE : GSTBA " Greater Sydney Tenpin Bowling Association"
This split went right around the country and the bitterness went with it and in part lingers still today, sadly

You are quite right the constitution and various rules can be changed
at the AGM by voting on a motion lodged, the problem is you need people to turn up to meetings, We are sadly a bit apathetic...

The ONLY way for the sport to move ahead in this Country is for
affiliation amongst all groups with the TBA, the governing body in Australia

Much work is being done and we are working together now in NSW
Who knows what can be done to resolve all this but we are talking now

If we can get this done it will mean much more funding possibilities because
the Govt looks at things differently when things are not so fractured and
there are more structured policies and programs in place

Yes Geoff. It is right that any organisation is as good or bad as it's membership, by their active interest, their participation, their support, their co-operation, etc., or their lack of those things, and as you point out - one cohesive, united body.
Combine that with the fact that the 'sporting venues' are owned by, and are used for other ( quite legitimate) purposes by third parties, and we've got a very steep hill to climb.
As highlighted by another current discussion here, the other major factor is sponsorship. Sponsorship, in meaningful quantity , is payment for something of value. That thing of value is publicity. The linking of the sponsor's name, products / services to something that is of mass interest. It follows that we have to produce the saleable product first. Sponsors are not Fairy Godmothers or Santa Claus.
Could it be done..Yes. Would it be easy ?? NO, NO, NO!! How long would it take ?? 3 to 5 Years. How?? It would take me pages --- and then probably nobody would listen.

Back
Top Bottom