2007 Playford Classic

Hi all,

just an update on the current squad entries for the 2007 playford classic, just a reminder that all entrants are required to submit an entry form prior to the day of the tournament.

A Squad:

Robert Elliott
Jeremy Hill
Rob Chinner
Isaac Elliott
Clair Johnston

B Squad:

Peter Holthouse
Paul Streatfield
Tony Stoppel
Graham Simpson
Dave Kuhn
Ben Billing
Ashley Warren
Matt Kanafa
Brenton Davy
Alan Przybysz
Henry Ho
Brenton Manning
David Sniedze
Scott Miles

any questions just let me know

cheers for now,
Paul Streatfield
Elizabeth Bowland

Hi there Paul

Can you take me out of the tournament please.

Unfortunately I have too many other committments on the Sunday to contend with from the Touring League I am with.

Hopefully next year the Touring Club dates will be different.

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE

I just wanted to point out probably as far as this tournament is concerned is that if management doesn't get the required amount of entries then I'm sure it WILL NOT be on next year.
So if you haven't got your entry in then I suggest you do so to support these event's and this goes to more the younger generation of bowlers that also should be supporting these types of events because if not then sooner or later there wont be any tournaments left in this state. Management would then put there sponsorship they have into there own handicap house events, but at this stage they would rather it go to a tournament that can be made into a prestigous event.
Also don't put your name down and pull out at the last minute, unless it's a emergency. So many people always seen to put there name down and withdraw at the last minute.I'm sure some of you know what and who i mean.
In this day and age it's hard enough to find centre's that are willing to hold events plus how hard it is to find sponsorship as well.
So please if there are people that are capable of bowling in this then get them motivated to enter.
cheers
Tony

Hi all,

I can confirm what Tony has just said, and unfortunately if we do not receive the entry numbers required then this tournament will not be held in future years.

So often we hear that there are not enough tournaments in SA, yet people are hesitant to enter in the tournaments that we do have.

I understand that there are a few bowlers who are unable to bowl in this event due to the clash with the seniors event...what about the other bowlers in the state?

After comparing entry numbers with this time last year...we are only a few down at this stage

hopefully we will receive a large number of late entries, as this is a great event and received nothing but positive feedback last year

cheers for now,
paul streatfield
elizabeth bowland

Just an add-on Tony could the centre perhaps try not to hold it on the same day as the ATBSO Seniors Tournaments as this is the second year in a row it has been held on the same day .. might just get a few of the seniors bowling in it that way... just my two cents worth

I concur with what Strop and Paul had to say. Bowling at the top level in this state is on the decline and tournaments like this are the best way to get our players experienced for major national competition. Bowling centres can't afford to run a loss in these events, so if this tournament falls over...... well lets just say, don't complain to the bowl.

I hope this event continues and grows to the extent that others (like the Salisbury Classic) grow as well. There used to be a very healthy tournament circuit in SA and in those days SA was a force in national events, because our players were tournament hardened.

Hi Tony,

unfortunately due to other functions at the centre this was the only weekend that we could hold the event within three weeks either side.

The aim is to hold the event in may each year from now on, and it is on the same weekend as the arafura classic, so people are given the option and can bowl in SA if they dont wish to travel to Darwin.

it is extremely difficult to please everyone when planning dates for an event, especially because the seniors bowl so many events.

regards,
paul streatfield
elizabeth bowland

hmmmmmmm local oldies event or the chance to win 2000 well i no what i would chose lol
:p

Mr Long,

I agree with you on clashes, we see so much of it lately and it shouldn't happen. We once use to meet beginning or end of each year a rep from each centre, SATBA and ATBA etc to finalize calenders for the coming year, then problems like this wouldn't. AND I also refer to seniors as well, a rep should attend the same meeting. Some people just adopted the idea that this is our calendar and to hell with everyone else. Shouldn't be like it!

Example also goes to Seniors roll-offs and TBA state titles, clashed? Why?

Stopped me from bowling Rachuig, but I still offered to put my nomination in with exemption from state titles, but no, they wouldn't go for it. I will be interesting to see if they get enough girls to make a team and if they have to ask for nominations whether they have bowled state titles.
Anyway thats another story, Sorry, drifted away from the topic.

I just wanted to point out probably as far as this tournament is concerned is that if management doesn't get the required amount of entries then I'm sure it WILL NOT be on next year.
So if you haven't got your entry in then I suggest you do so to support these event's and this goes to more the younger generation of bowlers that also should be supporting these types of events because if not then sooner or later there wont be any tournaments left in this state. Management would then put there sponsorship they have into there own handicap house events, but at this stage they would rather it go to a tournament that can be made into a prestigous event.
Also don't put your name down and pull out at the last minute, unless it's a emergency. So many people always seen to put there name down and withdraw at the last minute.I'm sure some of you know what and who i mean.
In this day and age it's hard enough to find centre's that are willing to hold events plus how hard it is to find sponsorship as well.
So please if there are people that are capable of bowling in this then get them motivated to enter.
cheers
Tony

Hmmmm. Dont see many names that bowl the Junior/Youth circuit bowling.

That's true Robby, the tournament obviously isn't good enough for them. If it were me I wouldn't try and get as much tournament play as possible, and also try and conquer the home tournaments before going interstate.

By the way Mr. Long this is a 2 day event so you could bowl both, unless you cut on Saturday at Elizabeth and then I know which one I would bowl on Sunday.

Well I would be bowling but at the time I put my name down didn't realise that I had another engagement on that weekend. Whilst I would be able to bowl on Saturday I couldn't bowl should I make it through to Sunday due to another engagement. Maybe that is the same issue with other bowlers where if they can't be there for 100% of the tournament then they won't enter in the first place.

Maybe, instead of the bowling centre just saying that due to lack of numbers we won't hold the event. Why not talk to people that didn't enter this year that may have entered last year and see why they didn't enter the event. Maybe the centre should take that in and try and take into account certain situations that some people may find themselves in. Now I know that you can't please everyone but if it means moving the date of the tournament in the following year due to clashing of other tournaments, etc. - why not?? Especially if it means bringing in more bowlers in the long run.

Just my thoughts.

Hopefully next year should the event be run I will try my best to be there.

THANKS

SNEEZY

I'd turn up but due to my Nannas 100th that weekend i gotta stay here, things like that don't happen everyday!!!

Hi David,

like I said previously we understand that there are some bowlers who can not make it due to other commitments, but you can not tell me that there are only 24 bowlers who do not have prior engagements for this weekend.

The bowl went to great lenghts last year to ensure that the first year of the tournament was successful (eg. keeping the prize fund the same although the basis of 50 was not met and providing free beverages for all competitors throughout the weekend), and it was hoped that the event would grow bigger and better this year.

it does make me wonder where all the bowlers are. people wonder why bowling centres seem to be becoming more social orientated rather than league and competition orientated... perhaps this is an example of why.

bowling centres can only try and help bowlers if the bowlers are willing to help the centres in return.

I thank the people that have entered this event so far, and can only hope that we continue to receive entries in the next month.

cheers for now,
paul streatfield
elizabeth bowland

As quoted by David.......
Maybe the centre should take that in and try and take into account certain situations that some people may find themselves in. Now I know that you can't please everyone but if it means moving the date of the tournament in the following year due to clashing of other tournaments, etc. - why not?? Especially if it means bringing in more bowlers in the long run.
Sure David lets change the weekend 30 times just to suit everyone. Please, you are never going to suit everyone, thats why entry forms have been out for a long time for people to make other arrangements and BOWL. The centre cant do more than what they have done except promote it in there centre, place the entry form on this site, where most people with some ability has access to, which is more than we had in the ATBA days.
I think most people can't use the "I didn't know excuse" because the tournament is very well advertised.
Let's if people just don't want to bowl then they won't, no matter what.
There was a time once when most of us just bowled in everything we could get our hands just for tournament experience, they why I sit back and laugh at these younger ones that want and say and preach how good they should train and exercise and practice and eat the right food, but they won't get off their arse and support all tournaments. Where's the dedication in that.
The centres doing the the right stuff.
This state, and again I will live in the past, had lot's of good tournament matchplay events and bowlers dedicated to bowl in them, which led to better preperation to other events such as Rachuig and interstate tournaments.
That's probably why some of those bowlers at a grand age are still competing and winning or finishing high up in events locally. Maybe the rest should learn from this.
Cheers
Tony

Back
Top Bottom