Why is everyone so depressingly agreeable?

Its probly the most silly thing ive seen any organization do. Only 1 centre out of the 4 im close to has agreed to do this.

It makes you wonder how much time was spent coming to this decision. How many people sat at the table and after how many hours brainstorming, how was THIS the result? ....... Geniuses!

If it was deemed absolutely necessary to generate some revenue, wouldnt a flat fee of $5 per league application make more sense? im sure there is better fairer options than what has been proposed by the TBA, or should i say enforced?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Are we paying the way for coaches and managers to attend overseas events while the actual participants have to fund the trips themselves. If this is so it's a joke. Particularly when we see the results of recent tours. Any other sport and the coaches would be sacked. I know, I know many of the more successful nations are fully funded and players rewarded for results. I cant help but wonder if all these proposed fee increases are intended to prop up officials at the expense of our actual representatives.

I still believe we can get suitable volenteers to fill these support roles. We did years ago and dare I say it, our results were so much better.

These are the big issues which are foremost in the minds of YOUR TBA executive.

Notice is hereby given that a General Meeting of Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited (TBA) will be held as detailed below.

Venue
Tenpin Bowling Australia
Unit 4A/139 Sandgate Road
ALBION QLD

DateSaturday 8th November 2014
Time
Commencing at 8.30am (Brisbane time)

Items of Business
The purpose of this General Meeting is to consider and, if thought fit, pass the following resolutions:

1. Modification of the TBA constitution by changing the term of a Director from 2 years to 3 years; and
2. Modification of the TBA constitution to allow the Chairman or Vice Chairman to be appointed by the Board from either Member Elected Directors or Board Appointed Directors; and
3. Modification of the TBA constitution by correcting the spelling error in the definition of “AMF” (clause 1.1).

YOUR membership dollars at work

Correct me if I'm wrong. Are we paying the way for coaches and managers to attend overseas events while the actual participants have to fund the trips themselves. If this is so it's a joke. Particularly when we see the results of recent tours. Any other sport and the coaches would be sacked. I know, I know many of the more successful nations are fully funded and players rewarded for results. I cant help but wonder if all these proposed fee increases are intended to prop up officials at the expense of our actual representatives.

I still believe we can get suitable volenteers to fill these support roles. We did years ago and dare I say it, our results were so much better.

The coaches and managers who travel overseas with the team pay all their travel, accommodation and expenses out of their own pockets.

This makes sense given that in the 1990's and with around 120,000 members [and relevant revenues accordingly] managers and coaches paid their own travel - I was manager of five teams and paid my own way at all times. In today's world of diminished membership one would think it fiscally essential that managers and coaches also pay their own way.

I am also intrigued by the determination of gwhiting as "Observer". I'm not sure if I should roll around on the floor laughing or be concerned that somewhere at some time my name will have a black mark against it for writing something disingenuous. The marking has been done, by the way, a number of times over some 50 years in this sport/business/industry- with no permanent harm inflicted...EVER!

Dare I say your wrong with some of your comments

The National Coach is a part time 2-3 day a week job paid by the TBA from a specific high performance coaching
funding grant from the Government.
the rest of the time the National coach puts in is volunteer based

Results in recent years have actually been reasonably good with quite a lot of medals won

Don't forget ALL the Managers, assistants and Athletes pay there own way for everything
thus meaning some of our better Athletes do not represent Australia OR their State
because they can't afford it

Also given the TBA membership numbers are in serious decline, from the past in which you refer, we
have very few in which to choose.

Pretty sad situation really

I think the question should be how to get the numbers up. I don't think the way the TBA is going about it is right. Why should the average weekly league bowler prop up an organisation that gives them nothing in return. I play in Tournaments and the presence of TBA Officials at most is very low Bowlers don't even know who represents them and when they are at tournaments they only want to know those are the better bowlers they give advice on what shot, what ball to these people but nothing to others.

I think the question should be how to get the numbers up. I don't think the way the TBA is going about it is right. Why should the average weekly league bowler prop up an organisation that gives them nothing in return. I play in Tournaments and the presence of TBA Officials at most is very low Bowlers don't even know who represents them and when they are at tournaments they only want to know those are the better bowlers they give advice on what shot, what ball to these people but nothing to others.

In SA, the local TBA runs and attends EVERY tournament (except SA Seniors Classic) that is run in SA, from Junior Intercentre, through Junior Youth
Circuit, Adult Circuit, State championships and nationally ranked events being the SA Youth Masters and SA Cup. so there is no issue with TBA's representation in SA. What I see as the problem is that the average league bowler feels disenfranchised with not only the TBA, but also the proprietor because they feel like 2nd class citizens compared to the social bowler. UNtil league bowlers feel like they are appreciated as the bread and butter of the proprietors income, the numbers of TBA members will continue to drop.

[quote="Mistagear, post:

1989, pfftt. All you latecomers don't know nuffin

1964, pfftt. Enlarge my avatar and look at the young kids ( with white pencils ) scoring. Have a good look to see if one of them may be you ?[/quote]

I would love to enlarge your avatar but when I did, all I got was a heap of pixels. How about the avatar pointing to the large photo so we can see who is in the background? I would probably recognize some of them.

This would/could be interesting FB - except that in my dotage I am unable to fathom for the life of me what an "Avatar is [or is it "a Avatar"?...no this even enunciates poorly so it must be "an"!]. Cheers in advance for your help.

Hi Steve, the avatar is the picture above the members name (like my Lab Rat pic). BTW, I had a good look at Jim's pic and I think I can make out Fred and Wilma Flintstone in the background - hard to tell, they look younger than in the cartoon. ;)

1964, pfftt. Enlarge my avatar and look at the young kids ( with white pencils ) scoring. Have a good look to see if one of them may be you ?

I would love to enlarge your avatar but when I did, all I got was a heap of pixels. How about the avatar pointing to the large photo so we can see who is in the background? I would probably recognize some of them.[/quote]

Best I can do, mate. I think it's early '63.The 'photo is a 'still frame' from, I believe a 35mm movie camera. The Centre is likely to be West Ryde. Anyone correct or embellish ? Or know any of the people ?
DSC00323.JPG DSC00323.JPG

Thx Robbie - trust all is well and extremely busy for you - appreciate the info...when I click on the relevant "avatar" all I get is a bigger cat! Still I have gained some worthwhile knowledge today - well, added a word to my vocabulary any way.

Cheers

Steve

Participants + Organized Competition + Venue = Sport
What part of this equation do TBA play in Bowling Sport ?
Unless they provide an essential element for the sport's existence, they have no future.
Sanctioning is not essential for the Sport to exist. They need to come up with a reason to justify their existence.
I did hear wether it eventuates or if tba are planning its implimentation is to have development officers to go into schools etc much like they do in rugby league, afl and other sports and to sell , promote, teach the game and help grow numbers starting at grassroots level.

I need to re-write my equation
Participants + Organized Competition + Venue = Normal Sport
Participants + Venue/Organizer = Bowling Sport. (currently no position in there for TBA)

If TBA are to continue to exist, they need to invent a competition which the silent majority of bowlers want to participate and one which a single venue (bowling Centre) is unable to organize on it's own.
Some sort of graded, weekly district/zone/state etc competition for the masses of league level bowlers which requires a separate group to organize. TBA then need to have people on the ground to actually do the work of promotion and running of that competition.
TBA talk about "Pathways", but they need to act to actually create one from the entry level competitor onwards. Only then will it be reasonable for TBA to continue to exist.
I'm sorry but it's not going to work if they stand there doing nothing except saying " if you dont support us we will no longer exist"
If they act to do something constructive, bowlers will support them.

Dont know why I write this, TBA Exec's dont bother to visit TotalBowling

Thx Robbie - trust all is well and extremely busy for you - appreciate the info...when I click on the relevant "avatar" all I get is a bigger cat! Still I have gained some worthwhile knowledge today - well, added a word to my vocabulary any way.

Cheers

Steve
G'day Steve
As you say, "when I click on the relevant 'avatar' all I get is a bigger cat!". All sorts of strange things can be seen when enlarging "avatars". The odd and strange thing I encountered when enlarging the "avatar" was a very pixilated view of J.C.(Jim Cross....thumb nail size). However, when I clicked onto the new photo display,lo and behold, I found myself in another continuum, time frame, space warp or whatever. Upon closer inspection of the photo, I see the gentleman on the left side wearing an old Ron Knape style shirt, appears to look like a young Joe Velo pondering the advantages of a lesson on how to bowl off the other foot.His relaxed expression suggests otherwise. I'm sure he is thinking to himself, "OMG...that looks so very complicated,
I'll stick to what I know is best for me".
The gentleman in the "reefer jacket" on the right side almost falling over backwards and in fright, is having second thoughts about what he is seeing. Me thinks he thinks "Jumping Jesosephats, it's a praying mantis gone mad, I had better get the audience to safety".

But wait, there is more.

Have pity on the super-athlete in the posed position after delivery and with an amazed look on his face.
I'm sure he is thinking "Great Caesar's Ghost, surely that cannot be Steve Jones's, BIGGER CAT, come back from the future. Help! Help! Somebody grab Steve's BIGGER CAT, it's trying to stop my Manhatten Rubber from going into the pocket and getting my 300 game. Holy Moly! He's grabbed my ball and nicked off with it.
Almost sounds like a good storyline for "Twilight Zone".
Steve, I hope you had LOL, and who'da thunk it all.
Regards,
Fatblack.

Social Media Policy is pretty much what stifled/killed debate on anything to do with bowling.
The good ol' corporate driven mentality of banning criticism and debate, threatening and bullying those who do so with punitive measures.
Standard corporate ideals. "Everything is peachy".
PS: Jim, I can remember the days of Tasmania going from one centre (Moonah) to five within three years and having close to 5,700 registered players.
As of May this year, three centres and a grand total of 639 registered players.
It's a worry.

Jim Cross started this particular discussion four pages back by asking why there was little vigorous debate on Total Bowling these days. Well I thought I'd do a little stirring by asking what's going on with TBA membership for 2015. On the TBA website they say ' no membership for 2015 before 1 January 2015'. For the previous few years they have encouraged us to rejoin early. What surprise can we expect on New Years Day? Could it be the two possibilities mentioned earlier on these pages that just about everyone agrees will create havoc with both league and social play?

Starting to wonder do we really need the TBA any more...

Back
Top Bottom