Why is everyone so depressingly agreeable?

Well here we are January and the Proprietor of my local bowl has decided that the TBA proposal is not good for his bowl, which I can agree with him as decline in numbers and being a small country bowl he just can't afford to lose his bowlers. So I emailed the TBA and alas still wait for an Email to inform me I can or can't play TBA events this year. My nearest centre that is still registered is in Newcastle some 200 Klms away and I am a FIFO worker so there are a multitude of problems for me to bowl in a league there as in pre bowling, traveling etc, even just availability in general, if I do join a league there the extra cost to me just to be a TBA member will be over $1500 per year just in travel, so with this in mind I will probably have to stop bowling in TBA events as I can't justify this. The TBA should have considered us country bumpkins before making this type of major overhaul at least they could have done an information tour of some sort, the proprietor of my bowl wasn't as well informed of the changes as I was. Why not put it back for a Year and fine tune it do some info meetings and get more info out there the average league bowler is still very much in the dark, and Oh what are the said discounts on offer we don't see them yet not even on the website or are they still trying to get them?
I am very disappointed

You will still be able to buy a TBA membership even if you don't bowl in an accredited Centre.
For several years I was unable to bowl in a league due to work and had no trouble joining up.
Contact TBA and I'm sure they will point you in the right direction re membership.
I think at present you can still bowl TBA events even without membership up until around the end of Feb. Going to be some big teething issues getting everyone signed up so don't feel you are alone.

..........In the early 1990's the ATBC produced 2 separate professional videos promoting the sport, the Nationals and the Congress and benefits. The first used John Burgess as the host and included such Australian legends at Richard Hall, Eric Jang and Vic Bubniw along with modern day legend Cara Honeychurch - the second used US PBA legend Dave Davis as the host and the National Championships as primary focus.

Because you don't know these things happened - and much more besides, doesn't mean they didn't.
. - as for the TBA reproducing these types of things now - I doubt it would be possible on what their budget is today given their membership numbers. Could they do more - well yes most likely - and they would probably agree.

Steve, What has the 90's got to do with how TBA promote current events ? In 2014 there were THOUSANDS of TBA members within easy driving distance of the Nationals who were unaware of where and when the National Titles were being held. If doing nothing to promote the Sport helped to get us to this point, continuing to do nothing will only accelerate the decline.
Sighting lack of budget as excuse, is totally redundant these days. Record it on a mobile phone and upload to Youtube costs nothing. Producing a DVD and asking Centres to play it to all TBA members costs $20 to nothing also.. It may not be totally professional, but it would be a major step towards informing members rather than doing nothing and expecting Bowling Centre Proprietors to carry the load of saving the Sport !
TBA fail to do even the most basic of basic steps to promote and arrest the decline in Bowling Sport yet make noises about "pathways". A pathway starts with small basic steps, not grand plans of Bowling in the Olympics and World Titles.

Fair point although I just like to wave the flag to remind people that there was a time when things were done properly...I guess it's my age that more often has me looking back rather than forward - it's an easy trap to fall into I'm sorry to say. I probably sit on the fence with your suggestion about an imperfect quality video - whilst I take heart in the Gary Player comment of "all publicity is good publicity" - I know from experience that "inferior marketing get's inferior results". But I would agree that I am not sure what a "pathway" really means in the sense of becoming a reality across a planned process. It seems to me to be a nice "trendy" turn of phrase that is essentially hollow.

The TBA has a difficult task, limited finances, declining membership, vast competition for the corporate dollar and no doubt further fiscal restrictions with federal sports funding under review - I appreciate your intent in pushing for change and a different approach, I would also encourage the application of a little empathy.

Empathy, you reckon ? its difficult, 40 years into a downtrend, when all I'm feeling is despair over seeing the sport I love disappear into thin air.
When do we get to the position where we say, "this approach is not working, we have to try something completely new", otherwise the outcome has become blatantly obvious. It's not that I lack empathy towards the difficulties involved in turning the ship around, it's so obvious that what currently is being done or not done, is never going to fix the problems. Change is necessary, not optional.
If inferior marketing gets inferior results, what does no marketing get ?
Obviously I'm not seen as popular for criticizing, but the situation continues to worsen and everyone is sitting on their hands, not calling for change in fortunes for the the Sport, and meanwhile the situation is becoming increasingly desperate. I dont understand why people are so silent as we move from Organised Sport to pure pastime status.
I was around when the ATBC was first formed and a National Sporting Body and viable Sport is worth fighting for. I've spent a large sum trying to make a difference for the sake of the Sport, but seems hardly anyone is interested in saving a once great Sport.

I think a start would be to change the cut off situation in some tournaments, or maybe have a grading done even off scratch scores into maybe 2 grades, give people more for the money encourage people that play in tournaments but struggle to make the cut even when they play to their capability not everyone is capable of bowling a 210+ average over 10 games. A lot of these people do support the game as its enjoyment for them but at $200+ per weekend plus travel costs plus accommodation it works out to be a struggle sometimes. I am not going crook about this just if no one suggests the sport we love will soon go down the gurgle and non of us wants to see that. I didn't bowl in one of the sports series this year due to these costs and the 6 game format, it was just that the game cost was good but for someone like me the travel costs just couldn't be justified as I would be very unlikely to get more than 6 games, not a criticism just a fact for me. The sports series is something I enjoy immensely and I think it is well run and it also encourages those of us not so good to participate it goes to show things can be done if thought is put in.

I think a start would be to change the cut off situation in some tournaments, or maybe have a grading done even off scratch scores into maybe 2 grades, give people more for the money encourage people that play in tournaments but struggle to make the cut even when they play to their capability not everyone is capable of bowling a 210+ average over 10 games. A lot of these people do support the game as its enjoyment for them but at $200+ per weekend plus travel costs plus accommodation it works out to be a struggle sometimes. I am not going crook about this just if no one suggests the sport we love will soon go down the gurgle and non of us wants to see that. I didn't bowl in one of the sports series this year due to these costs and the 6 game format, it was just that the game cost was good but for someone like me the travel costs just couldn't be justified as I would be very unlikely to get more than 6 games, not a criticism just a fact for me. The sports series is something I enjoy immensely and I think it is well run and it also encourages those of us not so good to participate it goes to show things can be done if thought is put in.

Agree the graded competition idea. The majority of bowlers who call it a Sport, are not open grade bowlers. The sport should be geared to provide competition for the majority but there in imho, lies the root of Bowling's problem.
ie.. the sport at entry level is not constructed as a graded sport which results in people not being enticed to compete, improve and move through the ranks. In most other sports, you enter at a low grade and immediately that grading gives enticement to attain greater skills so you can move to the next higher grade and next and so on.

Winning unaided (no Hcp) against a worthy opponent is satisfying and makes bowling better value for money
Give players greater challenge and the majority would see bowling as better value because they would have some emotional satisfaction from the competition that barely exists at the moment.

There must have been about a million people in this country who have started playing Bowling as sport because they liked it and thought it would be a good sport to become involved in, but have since left because they became bored. I say this is mainly due to how the sport is structured and played, with handicap and mixing different grade players together in handicap leagues.

This "lack of value" is also the reason tournaments always have to be "marathon' events, because the competition is lacking psychological satisfaction, so you have to do hours of it to feel satisfied. If you derive more satisfaction per match, you need less total time to feel happy with your sport.
My partner was a Hockey player, her equipment, travel, training and other costs amounted to nearly the same as my bowling costs, but there was never any thought about how much it was costing her, because the satisfaction factor meant value for money in her mind. We should be building that into bowling.

Gday Pete...

Agree the graded competition idea. The majority of bowlers who call it a Sport, are not open grade bowlers. The sport should be geared to provide competition for the majority but there in imho, lies the root of Bowling's problem.
ie.. the sport at entry level is not constructed as a graded sport which results in people not being enticed to compete, improve and move through the ranks. In most other sports, you enter at a low grade and immediately that grading gives enticement to attain greater skills so you can move to the next higher grade and next and so on.

When i was a junior in the 80’s i don’t recall this being any different to what it is today... the enticement to achieve was driven by reaching goals such as getting your 150 pin, 200 pin, 600 series etc etc... or achieving a place in one of the junior rep sides. At the time as a kid that was enough for me atleast. Not sure if kids today want to be put into “grades” and if they did what would you use as the measure? Age group is no use, avg is probably a good start but with todays gear a 10 year old can be avg 180. Factor in different houses/patterns and all the “grading” work probably loses its merit.

Winning unaided (no Hcp) against a worthy opponent is satisfying and makes bowling better value for money
Give players greater challenge and the majority would see bowling as better value because they would have some emotional satisfaction from the competition that barely exists at the moment.

Each to their own on this one Pete, when i had 8 years away from the game and returned in 2008 i set my own goals to achieve and it had nothing to do with structured competition. I recall after season 1 i was avg 174. The goal was always to reach and maintain 200. There was a lot of emotional satisfaction in reaching that goal within the last 12 months, now the goal shifts. I must be an exception to the majority as my value would not have been reduced had I not got there.

There must have been about a million people in this country who have started playing Bowling as sport because they liked it and thought it would be a good sport to become involved in, but have since left because they became bored. I say this is mainly due to how the sport is structured and played, with handicap and mixing different grade players together in handicap leagues.

Maybe there have been people leave, but those that invest money and buy a ball and shoes don’t normally up and leave. As for the mix of abilities in my mind the reverse applies. Ive recently reduced my HDC to 0. Im pretty satisfied with that. Sure its a league shot, i get that, all the more reason to have 0. I know for a fact there are people in my league who strive to reduce their HDC as a measure of how they are bowling. Yes there are those that like having 20 deliberately, doesn’t mean they win.

This "lack of value" is also the reason tournaments always have to be "marathon' events, because the competition is lacking psychological satisfaction, so you have to do hours of it to feel satisfied. If you derive more satisfaction per match, you need less total time to feel happy with your sport.
My partner was a Hockey player, her equipment, travel, training and other costs amounted to nearly the same as my bowling costs, but there was never any thought about how much it was costing her, because the satisfaction factor meant value for money in her mind. We should be building that into bowling.

Interesting point of view Pete, personally i think the events are long or atleast consist of more than “5 games first past the post” to show that the cream rises to the top. Golf majors aren’t 18 holes, they are longer to really show who the best is. On the flip side, people might have a different idea of value. Value to some might be 16 games over a 2 day trip away regardless of if they win. If we make the value only for those who beat others then we lose all the people who just wish to have a go.

Roysa you speak of when you were young I would bet that back then bowling was beginning to boom, and you mention that nothing has changed but it has, now bowling is getting ready to implode in Australia. I love to compete and achieve don't get the grading thing mixed up or construe it as only have people of equal footing only competing with each other and not the big boy's it's certainly not what I meant I was suggesting that maybe in 1 or 2 tournaments the field could maybe cut in half to give all bowlers the chance to play both days, maybe a small prize for each grade as everyone pays but in reality only 20% cash, maybe not cash why not a bowling ball or something.
I believe that currently there is value for money in tournaments thats why I try but alas my capability is such that well those that know me know, but my enjoyment is second to none in competing on good patterns as such.
I just feel that if we don't change somethings we will end up pretty much poorer for it, I don't like to mention other sports in comparison because every sport has it's own nitch but look at what 20/20 has done for cricket personally I don't go for it because I'm an old dog and I love the Test matches but the younger ones have embraced it in a big way.
Another idea why not have a matchplay tournament with round repacharge maybe?

Roy,
Thanks for contributing, every opinion adds value . appreciated.
Ask the golfers to play several days on a Par 3 course and see if they find the marathon satisfying or representing value for money ?
Golfers must be different to bowlers, they seem to like a challenge
With bowling, the majority are not getting much value in the challenge so why should they bowl more than their weekly league they have committed to. Why practice and why bowl tournaments if 3 games each week is pretty boring anyhow.
My thoughts on 150,200,600 etc pins. If they helped to keep adult bowlers in the sport, some Centres would be using them, I'm sure they're still available.

Why did you leave the sport for 8yrs, were you becoming bored with it perhaps ? or didnt you invest in ball and shoes ?
Members of TotalBowling are not in the majority and bowlers you probably talk to do not represent the majority either. The majority are the ones who are not inspired to practice, improve and bowl tournaments.

Think you miss the point on value, if there is additional reason to want to compete, how does that take anything from those who "just want to have a go "
Take the 16 game scenario .. (day 1), 8 games and 50% of the contestants now unlikely to make a cut and have nothing of psychological value to increase their value for the weekend. (Day 2) after say 4 games, a couple have pulled themselves up and a few have bowled worse than the first day, by now 70% know they have very litlle chance of catching the half dozen leaders so they bowl the other 4 games then go home basically unhappy. Complain it was the lane condition and become a little less likely to repeat the experience next time a tournament comes around.
Alternate, matchplay from the start. Day 1, 4 matches, the guys in the bottom 50% have had a win or two and feel good, ready for tomorrow.
Day 2, by half way through the day, 70% have no chance of winning overall but have won some, lost some but are much more satisfied with their performance and are keen to maybe win 1 more to end the day. Tournament ends with the same half dozen names at the top, but the other 70% go home with some positives and are much more likely to return to win just one or two more, next time.

We leave the game for various reasons but we all tend to make our way back at some point. I for one left initially because my local centre shut down and nearest place to bowl was a 1.5 hr drive away, it wasn't sustainable for me to continue especially being 17 having no license ( had a bike license) and apprentice wages. Whilst still in my prime I did what most young hot blooded males do & played footy & cricket. When the body had enough of being belted around I returned back to competitive bowling 5 years ago when a new centre popped up in my area. I didn't leave because I was bored it was the circumstances that made me leave. I still have goals & aspirations which I never got the chance to fulfill as a jnr , so I still have the fire in the belly to succeed and compete.

Last edited:
Here's why we should change Bowling.
Bowling attracts sports players through the recreational play in Centres, no other sport in Aus has 100 plus promoting places working day and night, 7 days a week to attract participants to their sport.
Majority of the people in Aus have tried bowling at some point, and overwhelmingly liked it. No other sport can make this claim.
Bowling sport can be played day or night, 7 days each and every week. Again, most sports can not make this claim.
Bowing sport has a huge age range where people can be competitive. Again, most sports can not make this claim.
Bowling sport has fewer physical attributes required to play successfully. Again, few sports can make this claim.
Bowling should be benefiting from our nation becoming overweight as people find the more physically demanding sports less attractive.
Bowing sport has zero equipment purchase requirement at entry level. Again, few sports can make this claim.

Conclusion,
Due to factors above
Bowling should be one of this country's most popular and largest participant sports.
Clearly this is not the case and the multi decade decline can be attributed to the way we conduct the Sport.

Peter... I left in 2000 because I met my wife and my priorities changed. Had nothing to do with being bored with the sport or not purchasing gear to keep me vested. At around the same time my departed dad stopped bowling due to illness so the time was right for a break.

Im happy to just agree to disagree on many other points as we obviously see things very differently.

Cheers

@ Neil

I enjoy your posts, very real and I understand where you are coming from having never ever cashed in any sports series event but love the challenge also, its good for learning and breaks you away from the league shot. A reality check on ones actual ability and fun with those that compete although I haven't made many recently.

As for your point on graded, are you suggesting that when the field gets split that the bottom half play for a reduced prize fund while the top half play for the rest? I thought this would open up a can of worms for those not wanting to finish in the bottom of the top group while those in the top of the bottom group get some $ back. All in all good for conversation, just not sure how in reality it would be received, unless of course the grade was split before the ball was bowled.

Come play the NSW Regional Tour Neil, there will be plenty to play for and some good prizes for those who don't cash

Roysa, I would probably think that as there wouldn't be enough prize money to go round most of the lower half guy's would be just happy to get a few more games for their entry fee,for some of these guy's to miss the cut is a bit of a kick and they might not want to play a second fiddle type game but for a lot of guy's it would enhance the tournament experience, but at most tournaments they give a Ball or to away in random draws so maybe instead of the random draw give a ball or some sponsor products, discounts vouchers etc I wouldn't think that it would be proper to reduce the prize fund dramatically as I realise this would increase entry fees and therefore be negative to the tournament.
I do try all the time even when going bad I just try and get the right ball in my hand for a shot believe it or not my game has improved but still not 200 eve lol.
jayboybriz, I didn't know of the regional tour but would certainly give it a go as Im all for meeting people and enjoyment, Dazz would also be in it as where we live we just can't afford to go to sydney every weekend to bowl.

[quote uid=11260 name="jayboybriz" post=306800]Come play the NSW Regional Tour Neil, there will be plenty to play for and some good prizes for those who don't cash[/QUOTE]<br />Are you having any stepladder type finals ?<br/>
Up to some of the centres but im sure there will be Pete

Ive been at events where there was a stepladder final... very few hang around for it... especially if its top 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 .

Back
Top Bottom