League Meeting

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
This is an extract from Current TBA Rules

ONCE PLAY COMMENCES, EVERYBODY IS DEEMED TO HAVE AGREED TO THE LEAGUE RULES AND A UNANIMOUS VOTE OF ALL PLAYERS WILL BE NECESSARY TO CHANGE THE STRUCTURE OF THE LEAGUE AND ITS CONSTITUTION OR RULES.

We have someone who insists that if only 1 league member is missing from a meeting called to vote on a Constitution change then that meeting is not legal. We do try to get everyone to come but it isn't always possible, how do other leagues handle this?

Hi Andrew,
I'm a league secretary, and as far as I am concerned, the unanimous vote is 100% of all PRESENT league members.

If a league member cannot make it to a meeting, and it can't be re-scheduled so that all can attend, then that is just the way it goes.

That's how I do it.

at reformation a league should have 50% of the listed bowlers plus 1,
I personally believe that the same would be accurate for a league meeting throughout the season.

But the rules state, Unanimous decision of all players, not just unanimous decision of all members present.

My guess is if a player cant be present at the meeting, then a vote should be sought by them on a voting form of some description and signed by that player. If they don't vote or don't agree to the changes then it can't happen.

Is this rule only for TBA accreddited leagues (ie phantom leagues etc) or is it based on MTBA CTBAM, LVTBA etc (im a Victorian) as well?

Perhaps someone from the individual associations could comment more on this...

Hi folks,

It's a very good question that needs to be resolved. I would suggest that the TBA should be asked for a ruling or clarification, after all, it is that organisation that makes the rules.

Cheers.

In response to this question

In your league constitution you will most likely find and should be put into the constitution if it isn't there a statement about having a quarom.

QUAROM meaning that a meeting can not be leagally run by its members unless it satisfys the quarom. Your constitution should state for example that a quarom will consist of 60% of your players of the league. So long as you have 60%+ turn up then you can legally hold the meeting. 59% or less then the meeting will need to be deferred to a later date.

A unanimous decsion is decided by 100% of those people present at the meeting or at least close to 100%. If 40% of your league decide not to turn up to a meeting then thats there stiff shit. The decisions made at the meeting on the night/day that it is held are made by those present. It then becomes the responsiblity of the members that weren't present to find out what went on at the meeting and what has been changed. Secondly, all members of the league should be issued with a constitution at the beginning of each year reflecting any changes and the current rules of the league. If any members don't like the rules they then have the choice of either leaving the league or making an effort to turn up to the next AGM and persuading other members to change the rules.

Further to that, if the issue becomes really involved then the league would hold a special meeting with the captains of each team to discuss the issue(s) at hand.

8) 8) 8)

The reformation meetings i have been to are always held before league on the night of the first week...so the bulk of the players would be there as they bowl straight after.

Back
Top Bottom