Can I have some opinion's please!!

Hammer

Last night at Aspley in the Haro’s league, there was a bowler on his way to bowling with his fiancé, when they received a phone call from a family relative to say that there Grandmother who had been I’ll had just passed away
They turned around and headed to the hospital and contacted there team mate to tell them what had happened…It was way to late to organise a sub at such short notice so there team then requested from Christine Politsis (league Secretary) if under these circumstances that would it be possible for there team member to do a Post Bowl. They were told flat out no, not even under these circumstances. After some deliberation it was then put to the League captains, which would than require 100% vote to be passed. It wasn’t approved so he wasn’t allowed.

In my opinion this was not handled in the best spirit of bowling or a fellow human being. Surely some one dying that’s close to you half an hour before league starts constitutes an emergency. Just my thoughts, what about yours?

That's so harsh. If this does not constitute an emergency and compassion I would hate to think what would. I certainly hope that the leagues I bowl in would not allow such a thing to happen and for a post bowl to be permitted in such a circumstance. This is certainly not a way to treat your league teammates. Maybe if it was the last night of the league and they were fighting for top spot............but even then..........

That is harsh, but some may say - typical of some bowlers

That should be have been an exception to the rule

Shocking!
I don't wish on anybody who was involved in that decision to be in the same situation to appriciate that we're first people and then league bowlers and that human values and compassion come before dry regulations!

I'm currently doing a League Constitution up for my league and have different opinions about postbowling, Rule 338 of TBA Rulebook is as follows:

All league games will be bowled as per the pre-arranged schedule unless they are postponed or pre-bowled upon authorisation of the league’s Management Committee.

Whilst the Committee may determine what is sufficient cause to grant postponement/pre-bowling, they must always allow for “Emergency” situations.
I clearly think a death in a family is cause for an emergency postbowl

When Doubles or Teams are postponed or pre-bowled, they must compete as Doubles and Teams respectively.
Rules similar to those for postponements will apply to pre-bowling.

REQUEST NOTICE - At least 48 hours prior to scheduled match.

TIME LIMIT - No postponed game may be bowled later than 24 hours after the end of the final scheduled competition, unless that match could have a bearing on the outcome of the league championship. Such matches must be concluded within seven days of the scheduled close of competition.

I personally think that a death in a family or close friend is sufficient cause for a postbowl. When taken to the league vote, it should have been a majority rules vote and not 100%.

What a poor decision.

It dissappoints me to hear that this has happened.

I've had post bowl allowed on much lesser terms....

During such a time, bowling would probably be the furtherest thing on my mind and i probably wouldnt even bother calling.

Sleep well those who said NO.....

That is the worst decision in the history of the game. That team should have been granted a post bowl. Don't be too suprised if that team withdraws from the league. I know I would.

Hammer, your 100% correct it is not in the best interests of the game. The committee and league captains of that league should be ashamed of themselves and are considered very heartless.

everyone of those captains who said no should take a good hard look at themselves and their morals, you should be ashamed of yourselves bad sportsmanship to a fellow bowler in their time of need:slap_1gtk:

I agree that a post bowl should have been allowed in such exceptional circumstances. We implemented something in a league I bowl in called an emergency pre-bowl.

The idea was to have a pre-bowl (with no intended date of use) kept at the centre and if such an emergency crops up the pre-bowl can be used. If at the end of the season the pre-bowl is not used it is simply discarded.

This is nothing short of a disgrace.

As for the captain(s) that voted no, i wonder how they would have felt if they had have been in the same situation.

They asked for a post-bowl and were still prepared to try and do the right thing by the league yet in such a tough time for them it was thrown back in their face.

Andrew, post bowling is NOT allowed in this league.

Extenuating circumstances should always be looked at in a different light, especially when it comes to bowling - but not in this league, as we ourselves have found out.

our sincere condolences to our friends on their loss

This is exactly what I am hoping does not happen in Top Dollar Doubles at Belconnen, I am league president and would not like to be the one to say it to them but at our AGM the league had a very lengthy discussion about this topic and it was eventually decided that POST bowling was not allowed under any circumstances due to the nature of the league, even in a case such as this. This is what the league eventually decided on so if it happens to them they unfortunately have them selves to blame (that sounds harsh but in a way is true). In the Haro's league this should have been discussed at the AGM when finalising their constitution, if that is what the league has decided on then unfortunately in such a RARE case they would have to take the blind.

..... Might be something to look into changing in next years AGM.

Michael Craig

I too believe that a post bowl should have been allowed. You can't get a person to put off dying for a few hours just because you have a league to compete in, and then in the same breath, you can't get 48 hours notice that something like this is going to happen. At least they contacted their team mate to say what had happened. The league should have been more considerate to the people involved and so sort of arrangement made.
Being president of the Friday night doubles league at Sunset I would hate to be put in a situation like that and have the bowlers deny the post bowl.
Also, having been in the situation of a close family member dying just before league was to start, you don't really think about aynthing else except the immediate family.

I bowl in a singles league that does allow postbowls, as long as they are completed prior to the following week's regular bowling.

We are starting a new round, and a regular bowler can't bowl for a few weeks due to sustaining a knee injury at the last tournament, and wanted to pull out. We didn't have any replacement bowlers on hand, so it was suggested that the postbowl rule be bent to allow this bowler to stay in the league, but complete his postbowls when he is fit, as long as this is done within a couple of months. This option was put to every league bowler, the vote was a unanimous YES.

This decision not to allow a posbowl in the event of a family emergency within hours of the league bowling is simply discraceful. If that happened to me I would pull out of the league then and there, and would not care one iota about the cost of doing so.

David.

People who think this wasn't reason enough DISGUSTING, what are we playing for SHEEP STATIONS. i don't care what your constitution says theres always room to bend the rules they do it for murderers(cant be tried for the same crime twice even if your guilty) this is a recreational sport it's not held as high as say rugby league,cricket etc and numbers are declining,we need to hang on to league bowlers whenever and wherever we can.Once again captains deplorable

yes it is a disgrace that the league has put such a strong stance on this decision however if it were me I wouldn't even care asking for a post bowl as there would be much more important things to organise and concentrate your efforts on. At a time like this post bowling would be the last thing on my mind

Deeply regretable descision - one might ask the question at the next AGM under what circumstances would I appreciate the opportunity to post bowl in an emergency? Sometimes when we reflect on an issue in the first person we find our response is different to when we consider a ruling appling to someone else.

Just thoughts....
Janey

Back
Top Bottom