cleaning of equipment during tournaments.

Fitzy

Underpaid
Just curious if anyone knows the ruling on the cleaning of equipment during a tournament.

I have heard :
a) NOT ALLOWED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! (had to put this in capitals as they were very adamant).
b) It is allowed, though, must be between blocks.
c) Only before and after tournament. Not to be done during. (I find this one similar to a) but there was a distinction. (???)
d) on a tournament-tournament basis. (depends on the tournament and the person/people running it.

As well as any rulings, do you have an thoughts or opinions on this matter??

Rhyss.

From the TBA Rule book
RULE 602 BALL SURFACES ALTERATIONS
Altering the surface of a bowling ball by the application of any substance, liquid or abrasive, including the use a recognised ball cleaning or polishing machine during a series or session of continuous games is prohibited. A ball may be wiped with a clean cloth or towel at any time. Penalties apply - Refer Offence No. 511.
OFFENCE 511 ALTERING THE SURFACE OF A BALL DURING PLAY
Rule 602 of Equipment Specifications prohibits the alteration of the ball surface during any series or session of consecutive games - except with a clean cloth or towel.
Penalty - Any balls so altered will immediately be removed from the lanes and use in the competition and a warning issued to the player. If it is shown that the player had prior knowledge that their actions would be in violation of this rule, the game in which the violation occurred is subject to forfeiture. In addition, the player is subject to removal from the event in progress.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme. That answers it.

A bit harsh though I think, seeing as some balls are designed to soak up the oil and on oil logged lanes it can render a ball almost useless after just two to three games.

What do others do? Buy three of the same ball?? A bit prohibitive for some people.

I personally don't see the problem in a quick clean of a ball. But, there must be some overall reasoning for it.

Rhyss.

If you use a towel to wipe off the oil after every shot, normally you won't have so much of a problem.

Having said that, there have been rare occasions where I just could not grip a ball no matter what I did (that's a problem two handed!). It's happened at Aspley a couple of times, and another time was up at Sunset in Toowoomba where early in the morning I couldn't grip any ball that was polished, I think it was to do with the temperature (middle of winter at 7:30am). The other time I had a problem was with one particular ball - the Storm Trifecta. Once a trace of oil got on that coverstock, I couldn't get it off ever no matter how many times I wiped it. As a result, I used it about 3 times.

But usually, use a towel and you'll be sweet. Just don't wash the towel with fabric softener!

Rhyss, I once had a lady that I was bowling with in a tournament, that would isocol there ball with there towel, before we started bowling, than I watched her pour some more onto her towl, than continue to bowl the rest of the day with that towel. The towel stunk of Isocol all day, Another way around it I suppose, I did bring it to the tournament directors attention, but to no advail.

Rhyss, I once had a lady that I was bowling with in a tournament, that would isocol there ball with there towel...I did bring it to the tournament directors attention, but to no advail.
Definitely a lapse from the director there, she should be instructed not to use the towel on a ball during the session while it is covered in chemical.

During Dunn Shield 2005, i had my ball stuck on the ball return and my orange ball became black. I asked my manager to find out the ruling and he was advised by the tournament director try cleaning it before my game. I tried to clean it but was in vain. They took it to the pro shop resurfaced and polished it for me.
Alex

When I was watching De Veer roll-offs one year I saw one guy kept soaking a towel in metho and wiping his Maxim in between games, dunno how many times he had to be told that it wasn't allowed.
I think they threatened to disqualify him if he did it once more, never made the side anyhow.
Just on what you were saying there alexnjudy, I had a problem on a pair of lanes during league on the old wooden lanes here, where just about every single shot you bowled on one lane this particular night, your ball would come back with this thick black gunk (it was like mud) caked all over the surface.
After two games of picking it off I got fed up with it, called the president over and asked for a ruling on being able to clean the gunk off.
He was cool about it, and said as long as it was just the affected areas and not the entire ball then it was fine.

Rhyss, I once had a lady that I was bowling with in a tournament, that would isocol there ball with there towel, before we started bowling, than I watched her pour some more onto her towl, than continue to bowl the rest of the day with that towel. The towel stunk of Isocol all day, Another way around it I suppose, I did bring it to the tournament directors attention, but to no advail.

She was probably doing herself a disservice anyway Hammer.. the new formulation of Isolcol includes lanolin oil which completely defeats the purpose and clogs the pores. But still, by the rules she shouldn't have been allowed to do it.

Tiger, I've had that problem with balls at Aspley before. I think it was something to do with the older style belts in the ball return which shed rubber. Or it could have been the old style ball cushion covers in the machines.. I can't remember. But it's not easy to get off!

I wipe my ball after every shot. I was once asked about this when i cleaned my ball once during a tournament. But it was at the end of the qualifying games. I always clean mine with Ebonite Powerhouse Energizer after every series i bowl. Great stuff!

If a bowling ball surface is altered by the machines and a player asks for ball to be cleaned by somebody, would there be a ruling again that occurring? For example, if a bowling ball comes back after being bowled and there is dirt or grease or any other substance from the machines on the ball, would the player possibly have the option of getting the ball cleaned under the discretion of a tournament committee member?

Just curious as to whether that is included in the surface alteration ruling :confused:

Ciao Now

Rowey :p

Back
Top Bottom