TBA Rulings????

Graham,

TBA is "temporarily" being hosted on groups.yahoo.com. Access details are: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tenpin_Bowling_Australia You have to Register in order to be able to post on the Forum and, I think, to get into the Files section.

This is one area where TBAL has moved more slowly than is good for the sport. I know creating (and MAINTAINING) a top quality web-site is nowhere near as easy as some people claim, but I also know that it should not take 8 months, even if the work is being done on a voluntary basis. In keeping with all the other improvements that TBAL is instituting, it urgently needs a dedicated web-site to show-case the sport and provide EASY access to relevant data.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Cross:

Mechanics dont oil lanes,machines do. Different mechanic,same machine,same settings,same condition.
If you really think it's magic or voodoo,next time ask if you can move the machine from lane to lane and press the start button,then you'll win the tournament.
Better still,grow up,and realise that where you place in a tournament is up to you,and you alone.
Snivelling that it's not fair and wetting your nappy in infantile frustration is pathetic.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry but i'm gunna havta go off topic again!! (You can hit me next time I see ya if ya have to Gary!!
icon_wink.gif
)

To a certain extent you are right Jim, the machines do oil the lanes not the mechanics, especially in the age where the machine goes down at a set speed and a set pressure of oil buffers etc, gone are the days of hand washing and oiling where every mechanic did it differently!!

But on the other hand, if a mechanic decided to bowl in a tournament and knew what they were doing around a machine, they might decide to put down a pattern to suit their bowling (depending on how big their guilty conscience is!!). I have heard of it happening at another centre i have worked at and that didn't go down too well at all!!

Another way of looking at it is this - in cricket when a bail gets dislodged by wind or something, the umpire has to put it back on, even if the 'keeper is standing right there. Sure, 9 times out of 10 the keeper will put it on properly, but others may put it out of the groove so that it falls off more easily!! Who knows - better save than sorry!!

Just my 2 cents!!

topic change hasn't bothered me now, I have had my question answered, as for the Oiling topic, I make reference to a post in the 'caboolture is too easy' thread. Yes the mechanic can oil it how he wants, but in my opinion(which is worth nothing generally) they have still got to be consistant enough on that pattern to bowl well.. I am not trying to stick up for a mechanic who does this, but personally I know I can bowl on any lane condition and average Big scores, I have just to be consistant on the lanes, and that isn't easy to do.(bar Cannon hill...that was just weird). Criticise me how you want on this one It will be interesting to see different peoples opinions on the topic.

Cheers
~!Two fish in a boat - one says to the other, "How do You Drive this Thing?!?"
icon_razz.gif

RE : Posting on the 15th july about mechanics oiling lanes to suit themselves.
It was stated that he (avg)225 anyone knowing this "mechanic bowler" would know he is Quite capable of doing this or better, also to a comment that was made about Sam Romeo saying that the right handers didnt stand a chance you must not of been around after the tournament when Sam Romeo was saying that the left hand side was terrible.
On finishing i would just like to say Bowlers at this tournament are supposed to be the "best"and the "best"should be able to adjust.
One more thing no wonder some of our juniors have such bad attitudes when they look up to the so called "BEST"
regards from Joe Blow Bowler

#1 - How can the left be terrible when 10 of the 12 lefties made the cut of 16.

#2 - How can the left be terrible when Sam Romeo top qualified averaging 241. And the second qualifier was a lefty averaging 228.

#3 - To clear up the comments made in some posts on the topic "Mechanics oiling lanes to suit themselves". (1) The right didn't have a chance in qualifying on the saturday as the right was drier than the left.(2) The left was worse in the Finals on the sunday, but I would say still better than the right, as lefties won the event.

#4 - I Did not here the comment from S.Romeo about the left was terrible, but could have been made on the sunday after the final. I suspect that the left was different from saturday to sunday by the way the ball was reacting on the lane. Sunday was worse on the left.

#5 - Majority of the bowlers complain about conditions weather it be at tournaments or in league competition. I'm a mechanic and know that we have to heear all the complaining about the condition not suiting who.

#6 - The best do adjust. That is why they are the best bowlers and are always consistently at the top of each tournament.

#7 - Answer to the comment about the Best bowlers being at this event. I can name 15 of the best in the country that didn't attend this event. Tournament wasn't full of entries, there were only about 30 of the best bowlers that attended and that includes the women who participated.

#8 - I competed in the event and finished 20th averaging 208. Yes, I didn't carry enough to cut. Why? It was my fault!!

#9 - The last point is attitudes. Tenpin Bowling is a frustrating but simple game. Bowlers get frustrated when the day is not going well for them. Junior Bowlers are young and have alot to learn including to control attitudes. And yes, some adult bowlers need to control attitudes. But you are going to blame the adult bowlers for juniors throwing a temper.
Look at Golfer Tiger Woods at the British Open. Is the golf public going to blame him for the juniors golfers spitting it. I DON'T THINK SO!
Attitudes all come back to the individual. People cannot blame other persons for their attitude actions in the sport they compete in.

icon_razz.gif

To Joe Blow Bowler - I never said the mechanic oiled the lanes to suit himself , but it was a fact (at least in qualifying) the left hand side was far easier than the right! As i said in a previous post the mechanic in question "does know how to throw a ball but is much better in his own house".It must be said but , if he can ave 225 or better in other houses WHY ISN'T HE BOWLING MORE TOURNAMENTS???? I would like to congratulate the mechanic for winning the tournament as he did bowl the best over the weekend! But it is still my opinion that people who sets the playing field should not be allowed to enter the tournaments , be it in Ten Pin Bowling or any other sport!

P.S I am not Sam Romeo & apologies to anyone who thought I was.

I certainly have read some interesting interpretations about the game lately. I have no idea about this mystery tournament that was bowled where there was an apparent easier shot for the lefties as I wasn't there; but all i have to say is.....the game will always be like this in many different aspects, but will be a lot fairer if a condition is put down that takes into account the proportion on lefties to righties. Make sense?? If not, what I'm saying is that you need to lay down less oil for the minority of lefties (for example) and more oil for the righties. I'm pretty sure this was introduced in the US just recently..? Maby George could help me out here.

The Weazal

Weazel, From what I see and hear Kegle has been trying for years to find the ultimate fair pattern, unfortunelty there is no such thing. In the last year the lefties have done extremly well on tour but there are numerous reasons for this. It's hard to describe, but I'll give you an example.

eg. The lanes are oiled flat, there are 35 righties and 5 lefties (sounds about normal). The righties compromise of crankers, strokers, tweeners who play different lines, shifting oil all over the place. The lefties play up the edge (something different) and follow each others line as most lefties don't crank the ball, most are strokers. This eventually shifts the oil down for the lefties who then generate hold, creating area and sending the scores through the roof. The right hand side gets patchy due to the different array of bowlers bowling different lines. Eventually a dry track is burnt on the right giving them something to throw to but it is mostly too late. The lefties kill it again.

I'm not saying this happens everytime but we have all seen it and on tour it has been happening alot, even to the pro's. The reality is there is no such thing as an ultimate fair condition.

Sometimes the conditions favour the left, sometimes the conditions favour the right. Kegle work very hard to put out a fair condition, I think AMF in Australia are doing the same. Full marks go to AMF to putting more oil out and at least trying.

As for a left handed mechanic oiling the lanes for himself, please let me know when this tournament is on next year, I want to be there. I disagree with the mechanics favouring one side purposely, lets make the game fair. Favouring one side only puts people off and decreases tournament numbers.

Phew, what a long post, just my views anyway.

Back
Top Bottom