Rule Help

I was asked this the other day

If a bowling is bowling in league or tournament on say lane pair 1 and 2

Delivers the ball on lane one (there lane) and returns to the players area on Lane 2 side of the ball return
Is classified as a foul or illegal ball

I was told it is but cannot find anything in the rule book to states such

No thats legal. Its illegal to travel over 2 lanes to exit. :)

I believe there is more direct ruling, but the asnwer to your question; in your case, it was legal.

"RULE 201 BOWLING ETIQUETTE
4. Stay on your own approach at all times. “Riding” balls is permitted as long as the bowler does not move outside of one lane either side of the delivery lane."

This rule states that the bowler must stay on their "own approach" at all times, but allows them to "ride" one lane either side of the delivery lane. Implying that one lane either side of the delivery lane is also the bowlers "own approach". In which case, the bowler can exit the approach from any of three lanes; left of deliver lane, delivery lane, or right of delivery lane.

So I agree with Ryan, the OP's scenario was legal.

Well that's my interpretation of it anyway.

Ride as far as you want and walk from one end of the centre to the other, it is still a legal ball. There is no penalty for breaches of bowling etiquette other than the stigma of being labelled a jerk, and possible carpark repercussions.
IOW, being an a$$ is legal, but why would you want to?

Interesting, what if in the delivery you are so far left that you slide foot is out side the gutter cap?

On the next approach if you like.

Interesting, what if in the delivery you are so far left that you slide foot is out side the gutter cap?

On the next approach if you like.

Legal as long as the ball is delivered on the correct lane and you are behind the foul line. For the purposes of the rules, the foul line extends from one end of the centre to the other.

Quite a few of the TBA bowlers in the Shark (I Think)pattern this year were delvering the ball from the middle of the lane next to them. Sean Rash from memory was the furtherest

Imagine if you did that in league.

Surely some one would complain.

I really thought that would not be allowed, interesting.

IM no expert but i would have thought the Pro's could adjust their release or vary the speed to negate the need to move 55 boards left... but hey il say it again, im no expert.

The pros will throw it however and from wherever they need to to optimise their entry angle.

Imagine if you did that in league.

Surely some one would complain.

I really thought that would not be allowed, interesting.

I haven't had anyone complain yet ;), more just waiting to see if I keep clearing the capping lol :D, bowling in Oz often allows for this type of delivery.

IM no expert but i would have thought the Pro's could adjust their release or vary the speed to negate the need to move 55 boards left... but hey il say it again, im no expert.

Most of the PBA bowler's i've seen on the Shark pattern, always end up on the approach of the lane next to them, and lofting the ball like Mik Fagan did above, that pattern is so brutal, that seems to be the only way they can keep the ball on the lane.

Back
Top Bottom