Scoring/Rule clarification - machinery malfunction

nls

I have been flicking through TBA rule book online and cannot seem to find anything that specifically states either way. Hoping someone may be be able to clarify...

Scenario

Person bowls a ball (& does not foul) and leaves a 10 pin. Machinery does not pick up the 10 pin and returns a full set of pins onto the pin deck. How is the first shot scored. Does it

A. Score of 9 recorded and request a re-spot of 10 pin to bowl for a spare
B. Counted as a foul, score of 0 recorded and bowler bowls second shot a fall set.

For me the answer is pretty obvious, but wanted to get some clarification as there was differing opinions.

My opinion is A - count the ball & re spot the 10 pin - simply because I don't feel you can penalise the bowler for the 'mistake' being made by the machinery....

Thanks
Nathan

Had the same thing happen twice last week on 2 different lanes.
"A" is correct.

Mrs P.

why would anyone have called it a 'foul' in the first place unless they went over the line?

A is correct although what can tend to happen is that bowlers don't watch their pins carefully enough and a late pinfall occurs, so they falsely ask for a restand "because the scoring said there was a 10 pin there".

So pleased I found this post. I was looking for some intellectually stimulating discussion which would stretch one's powers of logical deduction. Marvellous!

Option C??

C) Roshambo you for it (south park style)! Solves the problem quickly!

[That'll teach you jimcross for thinking this site can have 'intellectually stimulating discussions'!! ;) :D]

I have seen a late pinfall many times over the years, one such time I told the team the pin was knocked over but they insisted on having it re-stood. There are some out there who believe once the sweep drops any pin knocked over(legally) should be re-stood. Being the Mechanic and having to restand pins you know have fallen over is quite unnerving.

willey

Back
Top Bottom