Puff Ball Puzzle????

Jerry8-10

Just trying to work out a few rules regarding puff balls.

1. Is it legal to wipe your ball with one??.

2. Are you allowed to have it sitting on the back of the ball return or do you have to take it out of the players area altogether?????.

Define wipe? I assume you are just smacking it on the thumb / finger holes and getting rid of the excess?

I assume Sim is talking about "dabbing" a puff ball on your ball, then wiping it off with a towel.

It has something to do with a league ruling (as mentioned in another thread about a WDV bowler who was warned about wiping his ball with a metho soaked towel and who did it again during Centre league) and the subsequent league meeting into this after a protest was made.

It was therefore ajudged, that nobody was allowed to continue this practice, nor were they allowed to dab a puffball on thier ball during competition under any circumstances, nor were rosin bags and puff balls allowed to remain on the ball return or in the settee area during league play in Centre League.
They were the official rulings from the meeting.

The official rule is anything that alters a balls surface. I wonder what effects the puff ball would have. If i was confronted and told i couldnt use it around my thumb and finger holes i would tell them to get ?$@%. I cant survive without a dry hand :) have a look how many bowlers you see on tv do exactly the same thing, dab it on the holes, wipe it off.

But the rest of the ball, hmm, i didnt think the dust would have helped the reaction of the ball (maybe actually delay it?), it would just carry rubbish onto the lane.

Edit: Thats crap about rosin bags as well. Going way too far.

Levithian said:
The official rule is anything that alters a balls surface. I wonder what effects the puff ball would have. If i was confronted and told i couldnt use it around my thumb and finger holes i would tell them to get ?$@%. I cant survive without a dry hand :) have a look how many bowlers you see on tv do exactly the same thing, dab it on the holes, wipe it off.

But the rest of the ball, hmm, i didnt think the dust would have helped the reaction of the ball (maybe actually delay it?), it would just carry rubbish onto the lane.

Edit: Thats crap about rosin bags as well. Going way too far.

Must admit, I always thought the no cleaning rule was a stupid rule.
Most bowlers have thumbed thier noses at these rules regarding puffballs and rosin bags anyway.
The one I wish they would ban from the settee area I talcum powder - there's one bloke in one league, I could tell exactly what lane he bowled on the previous night when I went into clean the bowl the next morning - it looked like a white christmas :lol:

I don't know the ruling but I have found when ppl do dab there thumb holes around the ball return excess resin goes onto my ball. when i bowl the my thumb get stuck causing a bad shot and a sore thumb, elbow and shoulder. I have no probs with ppl doing it but it should be away from the ball return. :D

Wipe the ball with a puff ball?@!, ie pick the ball up and rub it all over the ball? Then thats illegal, altering the surface.

Tiger, no i agree with the no cleaning rule. You shouldnt be able to apply any cleaner to a ball previously used in whatever you are bowling (league game, squad, masters, whatever). Im not sure, but i think it's just straight out not allowed to clean balls while bowling at all. If thats the case, there is a part i think that is wrong, you should be able to clean a ball previously unused (ie, half way through league, pull a fresh ball out of the bag, give it a clean, bowl with it).

if you are not aloud clean the ball at all, would using a cloth to remove the oil from the lanes be classed as cleaning???

REDJELLYBEAN said:
if you are not aloud clean the ball at all, would using a cloth to remove the oil from the lanes be classed as cleaning???
Yeah Chris, wiping your ball with a clean dry towel is during play is acceptable. You just cant use a towel that has some sort of cleaning agent on it, for example a towel with still wet metho on it.
That looks about right anyway. :wink:

Tiger said:
REDJELLYBEAN said:
Yeah Chris, wiping your ball with a clean dry towel is during play is acceptable. You just cant use a towel that has some sort of cleaning agent on it, for example a towel with still wet metho on it.

ok thanks thats alright then, if you wernt aloud then someone would need hitting

Tiger said:
REDJELLYBEAN said:

You say still wet? does that mean if the metho is dry it is aloud? because I read here somewere that washing your towl in metho made it absorb the oil better or something like that.

:D COSHEA :D

Considering it is mainly alcohol which dries leaving behind very little residue, i think it's a myth.

Hey well i use my puff bag i leave it on the end or the ball return on any tournament an i wipe the oil of the ball with the puff bag also it easier instead of taken ya towel to the approach all the time an is there any rule for it not to be aloud any of that i owuld like to know pls

There is a rule which covers altering the surface of the ball. Seeing as a puff ball has for all intensive purposes, kitty litter inside, it releases dust aswell. I think it could be argued that it is altering the surface condition of the ball, hence being illegal. Going to have to ask TBA for a decision on that i think.

Back
Top Bottom