Your Opinion Wanted On Puff Ball Useage

What exactly is contained in these bags? From the posts it appears to besome kind of resin, similar to that used on Violin bows. Is this correct?

I was given one of these bags and from what I've found it kinds kacks my fingers up - don't like the feeling at all. Whenever I came into contact with it I had to go wash my hands.

What are peoples opinions about applying powder, resin or other substances to soles of bowling shoes?

Dunno about powder but I don't think anyone would use resin. If the soles are too slippy either give them a once over with a wire brush or go "do the twist" for a minute or two in the car park.

Anyway if people complain, rightly in my view, that powder dusted on the ball return also gets onto other peoples balls then the same can be said if something were to be applied to the soles of your shoes as it'd transfer to theirs as well.

mongoliantreesloth said:
I was given one of these bags and from what I've found it kinds kacks my fingers up - don't like the feeling at all. Whenever I came into contact with it I had to go wash my hands.

Yeah, I have the same problem, it actually gives my fingers and hands a burning sensation. Makes my whole thumb and fingers swell up and makes my release extremely inconsistant.
I'll hang in the thumbhole, then lose two or three in a row, hang up three or four times in a row, then lose a few more.
It adds to the frustration levels.

So now I just don't use the stuff.

the stuff inside of the puff balls is rosin (powdered clay) it's meant to be used for drying the moisture from your hands. But too often they are used inappropriately.

Baz said:
What are peoples opinions about applying powder, resin or other substances to soles of bowling shoes?

This is Stephen Cowland here, not Craigy.

To answer your question, it is not acceptable under any circumstances. There is a TBA rule for it. It defaces the Approach and can cause the surface of the appraoch to change well after the bowler has finished his shot and therefore changing to approach for the other bowlers on the lane. If you are not happy with the approaches and everyone else is, then there isn't much you can do. Get Dexters/Linds/ABS with interchangeable soles. They may cost more, but its definatly worth it.

Later Da Cowman!

Let me understand what the rule is.

I use a Ebonite Puff ball on my finger or thumb holes but I use it near the chairs not the lane or Ball return I then wipe my ball with my towel and place it on the seat. Then I get up and Bowl.

Question: Is anything I have done here illegal? :confused:

it depends on who you ask

Just Lopes says yes

Peter coburn says no.

I wonder if anyone from CTBAM or TBA can comment on this growing confusion.

Irrespective of the legality or otherwise of the usage of this powder, I find that when I use it in very oily conditions it just contributes to already messy fingers.
In drier conditions it seems to enhance ones grip, at times too much especially if it happens to get into the thumb hole.
My thoughts are, use it on your hands, but maybe not on the ball and not in the vicinity of the ball return and approach.

Den

I have to say I agree with Den on this one.
I use a columbia 300 grip sac (not by choice) as sombody took my puff ball during the intercenter cup and i do have a problem with this. i dont put powder on my ball and hate it when powder gets on my ball. and i have a great problem with the sac because it sprays resin every where.

if any on has any info on the where abouts of a red and black puff ball with tim written on one side ill be at Canberra internnational bowl today at 5 thirty.

Thanks
Tim Purcell.

Back
Top Bottom