Your Opinion Wanted On Puff Ball Useage

JAY K

:rolleyes:
Hi, would like to know anyone's opinion on puff ball useage with regards to players area and use on balls. Does anyone think that it changes the ball or lane conditions

As long as it is wiped off the ball after being patted on finger/thumb holes, I have no problems with it.

understand what you are saying there i agree with you but the powers that be feel different about it so it seems that there are rules for one and not others :confused:

JAY K said:
understand what you are saying there i agree with you but the powers that be feel different about it so it seems that there are rules for one and not others :confused:

Yeh true, but i dont really care, i dont seems how it effects me or anybody else but i think is just me

Check out Offence 511 in TBA rule book.

If this thread was brought about because of the incident at Werribee on the weekend, then I think we need to look at the incident.

This particular bowler was taking a rosin bag to the ball return and hitting and wiping the rosin bag on their ball. Now not only did the rosin go on their ball but also other balls in the rack as well as the floor. This bowler has bowled this event before, so is very familiar with the rules.

Where I think this bowler really lost me was afterwards. If you want to question the tournament director about it, that is fine but do it politely. Getting in their face and ranting on will definitely not win you any points. :agrue: :agrue:

Liz

Does that get reciprocated Grumpie.

or is that only a one way rule for TD's

Heck I had Justin in my face when I asked where I could get a final score sheet just after your so called ranting took place because he assumed I was there to to be difficult.

works both ways so don't just take it out on the bowlers when the committe could have taken more care with the incident.

and another thing,

how come only a minor group of people were Warned for this offence. when it is also not allowed to leave your rosin/powder bags on the ball returns where many a rosin bag potentially and does fall on the floor or gets left on other peoples balls / picked up on shoes etc. isn't this illegal also. then why did the committee let this happen. why did they not follow the full rulings / people leaving there towels on the ball return are bound to pick up left over resin/powder from this alone.

its also funny how particulars get missed out - like the bowler your having a go at - wiped the resin off with the back end of his towell.

I only found out this too was wrong but people have been doing this for yonks and only start to get picked and made an example of it now instead of "politely" being informed and advised instead of being made an example of.

there are many tournament bowlers who have the impression that its ok to pat your grips as long as you wipe off resin with a towell - as long as that side does not get used to wipe the oil off your ball. If TD's or committees see this and they are bound too why are they not addressing this also.

Interpretation may be the fault here as obviously this Committee have never made an issue of it before and its not like its just started as many a bowler even on this weekend did the same

I do know that there were quite a few bowlers who this related to as I did see a few instances. I think the reason this particular person was pulled up for it was because they were so obvious about what they were doing whereas the others were more low key about it.

I believe that we are not talking about the same person though Buzzer as this bowler DID NOT wipe the rosin off their ball.

I agree that the TD's need to be more consistent with their decisions and they do need to set a good example. Sadly though we do not live in a perfect world.

Liz

Im fine with the use of a Puff Ball, only as long as it doesn't get all over other people's bowling balls and over the hand dryer them blow it up into your face causing you to bowl like $hit.

If the above doesn't happen then I have no problem with them.

Toshio

I think they are fine but there is no reason to splat poweder all over tables, balls etc. A guy i bowl against in league does this and it is really annoying. At the end of the nights bowling there is about a 50cm circle of powder on the tables where he is standing because he pounds it repeatedly between turns.

I have no dramas will puff balls myself, I don't use one and will never use one. I am not sure on the rule but if it has an affect on the surface of the ball then it is illegal. I saw a tournament in Asia where a bowler was rubbing his ball with a scourer pad after each shot so is this a world rule or just an Australian rule.

Matthew Lambrick

In Melbourne Cup this year there was the same question asked about the useage of puff balls to wipe the ball instead of a Clean dry towel (as per the TBA rules state is the only thing allowed to clean a ball during a comp.) When it was raised with the tournament director, there was a general warning given about it at the end of day two to all bowler. But on day three it was pointed out that the bowler was still doing it. and at that stage another protest was lodged and this time they said that it was allowed in the rules.

:confused:

thehittmann said:
I think they are fine but there is no reason to splat poweder all over tables, balls etc. A guy i bowl against in league does this and it is really annoying. At the end of the nights bowling there is about a 50cm circle of powder on the tables where he is standing because he pounds it repeatedly between turns.

When I used to clean at Moonah, I could spot certain lanes, certain bowlers had bowled on the previous night by the amount of powder or those thumbhole tape things that were all over the place, with pretty good accuracy.
The guy with powder was the worst, the whole settee area looked like white christmas.

Just on puff-ball usage, there doesn't seem to be any concrete definition as to what is acceptable and what's not.
You'd see some bowlers doing it and nothing was said, then on another day there'd be a big crackdown on wiping bowling balls with them.
Centre League tried to ban bowlers from having puff-balls on ball returns whilst matches were in progress last year.
They were quite fixated with that rule for awhile, but it seems to have petered out now.

Personally, I think if it doesnt get all over other peoples gear, all over the ball return & floor everywhere and is wiped off the ball before you throw it then that should suffice.
But others may differ............

Go Visionary said:
In Melbourne Cup this year there was the same question asked about the useage of puff balls to wipe the ball instead of a Clean dry towel (as per the TBA rules state is the only thing allowed to clean a ball during a comp.) When it was raised with the tournament director, there was a general warning given about it at the end of day two to all bowler. But on day three it was pointed out that the bowler was still doing it. and at that stage another protest was lodged and this time they said that it was allowed in the rules.

:confused:

As one of the tournament officials for the Melbourne Cup we noted the verbal protest from a couple of bowlers / Spectators and watched the bowler in question, all he was doing was padding the fingers and that was all, at no stage did we as officials see him using a Puff Ball and drag it over the surface of the ball. Peter Coburn was also there and watched the bowler in question as well and could see nothing wrong in what he was doing. As officials we watched this bowler for several games on seperate days and could find nothing wrong in what he was doing.
Of course we are not as lucky as the AFL who have video replays of all the action.

The rules should ban all puff balls from the players area. If you must play with ur ball, please at least leave the areas where residue could be stood on.

Its disrespectful to other bowlers. I personally suffer from hayfever, and the resin released irritates that.

But to each his own, this is just my view.

Well according to Justin Lopes you are not even allowed to pat your fingers with one.

his "interpretation" anyway :rolleyes:

If Peter says its ok - Thats good enough for me.

ok now i can see the problem, if some rosin stuff got on ya shoe, it might result in anybody slipping or anything like that when they bowl, i would do the same thing protest about it as well, but i think most bowlers have common sence and keep the stuff away from the lanes

Buzzer said:
Well according to Justin Lopes you are not even allowed to pat your fingers with one.

his "interpretation" anyway :rolleyes:

If Peter says its ok - Thats good enough for me.

If Justin Lopes actually said that, then he just proved once again how far removed from the game he really is. But then why would I expect anything more from a guy who spent the majority of his Victorian State manager tenure as nothing more that a pawn for the TBA.

I was under the impression, and this has been advised by a number of TBA officials, that the puff ball, rosin bag, can used over the fingers & thumbs as long as the ball is wiped afterwards.

The rule does say something along the lines of you can not use foreign substances on the ball, does that not contradict the above advice i have been advised.

I am not worried as l don not use a puff ball or rosin bag around my ball, occasionally l will hold to dry my hand but this is then left of the seats, or console, prior to picking up my ball.

My opion is that using a puff ball, rosin bag on your hands is fine, but do not use it all on the ball.

Back
Top Bottom