TBA Rulings????

G

GaryM

Quick Little Question I would like Clarified..... During a Tournament where there is One bowler per lane, what happens when there is an odd number of bowlers.... i.e say we have 7 bowlers on the lanes in a session. inevitably, one bowler will be by themselves on a single pair of lanes. Should this bowler have a Pacer??? or should the be allowed to continue.. Is there an official Ruling on this Or is it a ruling that is left to the Tournament Director. Then The other item that arises from this...During Normal Rotation (Even lane right, odd left), again the bowler who starts by them self, by the third block will be by themselves again. Is This Fair on other bowlers??? As one bowler will be at a quicker pace than the others....and to an extent, lane condition degredation (oil movement) will be different on each set of lanes where only one bowler has bowled.... Any Ideas or Clarifications On This Situation???

Is there a ruling on a head mechanic oiling the lanes for a State Grand Prix tournament before he bowls & then blitzing Qualifying , before oiling the lanes for the final & blitzing that as well for victory! He won the tournament last year as well! Any comments????????
icon_eek.gif

No rules against it, although some savvy tournament directors insert rules forbidding participation by centre employees.
Would you rather the lanes didn't get oiled?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SAMTHEMAN:
WHAT OTHER SPORT CAN THIS HAPPEN IN ????????????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do have a point there!! You don't see ice hockey people resurfacing the ice (or whatever they do) then going out and playing in the NHL final, nor do you see a greenskeeper go out and do the greens then win the pennants!!!

Being a full-time mechanic myself, I don't think I would go out there and oil the lanes then go and win a tournament.... not that i could win a tournament whether i rig it or not!!! Do YOU think it's rigging???? Have your say....

wchester - Of course I would liked the lanes oiled , but is there not other mechanics in the centre that could also do the job ? I do not think it does our sport any favours when the guy who does the lanes wins the tournament. WHAT OTHER SPORT CAN THIS HAPPEN IN ????????????

I don't know how it can be rigged - everyone has to bowl on the same condition. How is the guy who sets the lanes up know that he isnt just going to make it easier for someone else as well.

Plus wouldn't bowlers look to see where the person scoring is shooting and bowl there too ?

There are many different lines to shoot on a lane and in order for someone to make it easier for only themselves would be very hard. Unless ...

Out of interest - was the tech right or left handed ? hehe

The same arguement is still going on the PBA site involving Kegle and it's players. Cara, Carolyn, Dede and a few others all go to Kegle to train and enhance their game. By co-incidence, Kelge do the lanes for the Ladies Tour.

The arguement is before a ball is bowled in a tournament, Kegle players have a tremendous advantage because they know what ball to match up and what drilling to use and where to stand. It may take other bowlers a few games to figure this out which in Pro events could be too late.

I think there is a huge conflict of interest if someone is doing the lanes and bowling. The Kegle issue is different and I don't want to go there. As for the mechanic oiling the lanes and bowling, I would sit behind him and see where he is bowling and what he is using. I don't think it is right, it's up to the centre manager to say to his employee, " you'll have to sit this one out ". You may not have the same tournament entries the next year if he lets him bowl.

Just my views.

i refuse to touch my silver bullet 90% of the time on anyday i am going to bowl unless i have to.

because as honest as i am about the sport, there are people in the world who just want to talk.

question to the guy who made the original post, can the tech bowl, or is he only a good player in his own house.

it seems if he can win at GP level, he must be an ok player

Yes it does happen in other sports.Greenkeepers often win Golf and Lawn Bowls competitions.As in tenpin,it's because they played better on the day.I've never heard anyone whinge about it.
Mechanics dont oil lanes,machines do. Different mechanic,same machine,same settings,same condition.
If you really think it's magic or voodoo,next time ask if you can move the machine from lane to lane and press the start button,then you'll win the tournament.
Better still,grow up,and realise that where you place in a tournament is up to you,and you alone.
Snivelling that it's not fair and wetting your nappy in infantile frustration is pathetic.

To answer a few questions - The person invovled is left handed. He does not travel to any other State Grand Prix or National Tournaments. I would say the guy knows how to throw a ball , but is a better bowler in his own house.
To clarify another post - Who said I bowled in the tournament? I am just voicing a topic and curious what other people thought. Please do not abuse me for doing that.

jim cross says mechanics dont oil lanes machines do!!!
the only problem with that statement is that the mechanics who have to put the condition into the machine so it knows what to put down on the lane.
take mick bowsell who used to work at caboolture this guy could set up any condition u wanted wet,dry,left hand ditch shut down the crankers anything u could think off and that was with there old century!!

bfcc,please read what I was replying to.
SAMTHEMAN said 'of course I would like the lanes oiled,but is there no other mechanics in the centre -------- etc. I was pointing out that it did'nt matter who actually used the machine,but who set it up. So,am I to take it that some people would be happy if appearences were kept up by somebody else actually using the machine,without making any real difference to the condition set?
SURELY WE'VE ALL GOT MORE SENSE THAN THAT?
What I said in the earlier post still stands.

laughing out loud at jim cross's statement, re let the bowler run the machine, i might use that one, oneday.

good wit you have there

All that samtheman is saying is how come a tec that don't bowl in any over tours but only this one & in hes center ave over 225 in qd. With 10 out of the top 17 being on left side.Just to say also that Sam Romeo had talked to the players out side that the right side had no hope in hell in his qd as thay could not get the ball to the head pin,and he was not trying to ave 250.Sam aved 241 in the qd.
Go samtheman, Thank you.

This is gone way off the topic originally posted, but seeing as this has gone onto lane oiling I will post the original question.... Does TBA or any other association have a ruling for bowlers to be bowling by themsleves in a torament (i.e by themselves on a pair of lanes, when the rest of the entrants bowl 2 to a pair???)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryM:
Quick Little Question I would like Clarified..... During a Tournament where there is One bowler per lane, what happens when there is an odd number of bowlers.... i.e say we have 7 bowlers on the lanes in a session. inevitably, one bowler will be by themselves on a single pair of lanes. Should this bowler have a Pacer??? or should the be allowed to continue.. Is there an official Ruling on this Or is it a ruling that is left to the Tournament Director. Then The other item that arises from this...During Normal Rotation (Even lane right, odd left), again the bowler who starts by them self, by the third block will be by themselves again. Is This Fair on other bowlers??? As one bowler will be at a quicker pace than the others....and to an extent, lane condition degredation (oil movement) will be different on each set of lanes where only one bowler has bowled.... Any Ideas or Clarifications On This Situation???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gary.
I think it's a very good question and one that every director of any serious tournament has asked at some time.
To my knowledge there is nothing in writing in this country regarding this type of situation.
Generally speaking,if it's an "in house" tournament you can try and talk your way around it or tackle and bribe someone to make up the numbers or convince someone that it's not in their best interests to bowl (maybe the guy who oiled the lanes).
Major Tournament is a different matter. If it happens in matchplay you should have the reserve on call so hopefully the problem shouldn't arise
Qualifying? ......Hope you have enough entries to go 3 to a pair where one short is not too big a problem.

The same question applies if a bowler pulls out due to injury or illness etc.

I would be interested in an "official ruling"
also.

Probably noone can answer the question about single players and pacers with any certainty.
It goes something like this.
1. Soon after T B A was formed, it said A T B C rules.as last published,would apply until replaced by T B A rules
2. Later,I think in the second half of 1999,T B A said it was about to publish rules.
3. Later,it said rules would be sent to members with membership cards when issued – I think that was 2000 memberships.
4. To the best of my knowledge T B A rules to replace A T B C rules were never issued. [Does anyone know for sure if I am right or wrong about this ? ]
5. If I am right,then the first statement by T B A that A T B C rules would apply until others were issued still stands.
6. T he A T B C rules on the matter are rules 833 and 834,which are badly written. So much so that if you asked 10 lawyers what they meant.you might get 10 different answers.
7. The safest way to interpret them would be that should a lane draw and the number of players be such that a single player was scheduled to bowl alone on a pair of lanes,then the tournament director would need to provide a pacer on that pair of lanes to safeguard that single player from having his score disqualified.

GaryM, Markone and Jim Cross,

Guys, the correct answer to the "pacer" question has already been posted by Stax Stevens - see second item above. Considering that he is supposed to be the "man with no answers", he really let the side down by providing the correct answer so quickly on this one!! People could get to thinking that he is one of Australia's best TD's
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif

The relevant TBA Rule is 827. It provides, inter alia, that "A tournament may, by rule, permit pacers to equalise the number of players bowling on a pair of lanes thereby maintaining competitive conditions." The tournament rules are, of course, determined by the TD, and, if it's not specifically covered in the tournament rules (which should be clearly set out on the Entry Form), then, as Stax says, "It's all up to the TD". (Note: A pacer is not permitted subsequently to enter or compete in the tournament unless the rules provide for multiple participation.)

The updated version of the TBA Rule Book (Version 2.2) dated 31 January 2001 was released on 21 February and can be accessed on, and printed from, TBAL's temporary web-site.

Back
Top Bottom