How gooddo i need to be to Join League??

G

George19

Hi there,

Me and some friends were looking to start our own bowling team of 3 people and be in a league we could play others. I would say my average score is 100 (its not like i get under 80) i am capable of over 140 though am i good enough to be in a league?

thanks from George

george,

join up straight away!

its the best way to improve!

Handicap is there for a reason, and bowling with people better than you can only do you good.

Cheers!

Hi George,

Almost all leagues use a handicap system which is aimed at giving all bowlers a chance at winning.

In every league, there are a range of bowlers from the very good to maybe not so.

Don't worry abour your level, as all leagues have fun. What is the point of doing something if you are not enjoying it. Have a go, have a laugh and your skills (and then average) will improve very quickly.

This is a great game played by fun people, welcome aboard and good luck.

Des Wragg

i dont like the sound of handicaps seems unfair to others lol, how does it work?

the handicap system is meant to make things fairer to the lower average bowlers who are bowling in league with bowlers with massive averages...the idea is to even out the playing field

The way it works is generally by adding some pins onto the score of a bowler.

For example, if someone with an avergae of 120 is bolwing against a bowler with an average of 200, then the "120" bowler may get 80 pins handicap and the "200" bowler none.

If the "120" bowler bowls a 130 game, then his (or hers) score with handicap would be 210. If the other bowler bowls 209, their score with handicap is 209 and they would lose.

The amount of handicap varies for each league, so you should ask at the centre to get a better idea for the league you are thinking about.

I hope this helps
Des

You only need to be as good as you feel, in time you will be very good and then you will never feel you are good enough.Just enjoy the game.

As everyone has said, you don't have to be a great bowler as long as you are enjoying yourself. I started bowling in a league last year. I started off with an ave of 106 and now after bowling for about 7 months my ave is now over 170. As long as you are enjoying yourself, thats all that really matters.

Hi Geoge.
Much like a lot of the people that will reply to this, i started at about a 100 average. A 140-150 game was great. U gotta start somewhere right? I'd definately say go for it. The average and handicap system is there to lift u up and challenge the higher average bowlers. Also challenges you to lower the handicap and increase your average. Get the mates into it and go. A bit of patience, fun and help along the way and u will see an improvement in no time. There is usually someone around the centres to give you a helping hand and some pointers if you are interested in that too. Best of luck to ya.
Ciao. Dopey

yhite said:
You only need to be as good as you feel, in time you will be very good and then you will never feel you are good enough.Just enjoy the game.

I don't think I have heard a more truthful statement than that before in my life.

Spot on, jayjay!

G'day George,

i say go for it.

my 10 year old son started bowling in a league with my wife and i in May 2005. his starting average was 76, today he averages 99. he absolutely loves playing, so much so our other children are lining up to play as well.

you can't excel unless you have a go.

Cheers,
Shoey

hey Man.
like everyone else, i'd say go for it.
What do you think all the big guys started of with a 200 average!?. No....everyone starts off low, its just time, practice, and a love for the sport that improves your game.
2and a half years ago, i started of with a 86 average, at the age of 16! now im averaging 198 so far this season! so its just the amount of time and most importatly of all, the amount of fun that you have that makes you a better bowler!
Cheers.
Rik

What you need to be careful of though is handicap ceiling. Lets say for the ease of it, you start bowling in a league which runs a handicap system of 100% of 200, so the 140 average bowler gets a 60 handicap, the 180 bowler gets a 20 handicap and so on. Most leagues employ a maximum handicap and lets say that in this league, it is 60. If you join the league and average 100, you automatically start 40 pins behind any bowler with a 140 average or more severely disadvantaging yourself and/or your teamates.

A simple suggestion would be to join a purely social league with no max handicap, then you would be at least playing on a level playing field.

Back
Top Bottom