Can I have some opinion's please!!

Possibly adding some more worms to the can, but it seems quite clear that undated, open prebowls are not permitted under TBA rules, since they are neither games bowled according to the schedule nor by permission of the league management committee (and yes, I know the practice is common in many leagues). This is explictly stated in the USBC rulebook (in their FAQ) but is only implied in the TBA book.
So, the arguement that one can avoid postbowling by keeping an emergency prebowl current really doesn't work if the league is following the rules. It MAY be that TBA will allow undated prebowls IF specifically allowed in the league constitution. As such, it would be a very good idea for any league wanting to allow this practice to have a specific rule about it, becaue under the general playing rules you are SOL if somebody protests the use of an undated prebowl.

Might be worth the TBA rules committee having a very good look at the rules regarding pre/postbowls and rewriting them to clarify what is and is not allowed.

I dont think you'll convince them Robbie.
They still go squealing back to the:- RULE 338 POSTPONED OR PRE-BOWLED GAMES - (Unless covered by a Leagues own Rules) clause in the rule book.

The point is that this rule (IMHO) is not allowed to be made by the league, as it is in direct violation of an existing TBA rule. If the league is unsanctioned (is it?) then the rule stands. Otherwise, the TBA rulebook takes precedence.
If the league wants to outlaw postbowling they would need a rule that, for instance, expressly requires every bowler in the league to bank one or more emergency prebowls by a specific date, to be used for any absence. Having said that, if a sub was available and bowled, that is a better option than using an individual postbowl, as it allows the two teams to complete the match on the night. If, however, the two teams agreed to postbowl the entire match and appealed to TBA for the right to do that, I don't think the league would have a leg to stand on even if a sub was available at the time.

These are very good points. There have been issues on many occasions in various leagues as people do not (for numerous reasons) get around to doing their "EMERGENCY" pre-bowl and always kick themselves for not having it available. The ruling to have every bowler bank a pre-bowl by a certain date sounds like a partial solution to a very regular problem!

Back
Top Bottom