Is this legal without a player meeting?

MinusZero

>LOAD "Something",8,1
Hi all,

I am nearing the end of my league at Greenslopes and came upon an interesting problem. There is two weeks to go and i wanted a print out of the league standings (as one wasnt where it should be) and i was told i can't have one. I was told that players are not allowed to see the standings sheet when there is less than 3 weeks left.

This is a new one to me. This is the second time i have bowled this league. Last league standings sheets were printed out every week and on the last week we could see who we were playing and the points gaps and it was never an issue.

There was no reformation meeting at the start of the league where any problems any bowlers had could be discussed or potential rule changes/handicap changes etc. The rules have apparently changed without the knowledge of the players.

So...Are they allowed to hold back the standings sheet without it having been agreed upon by the majority of the league?? Or is it just an AMF thing. I would like to think since i am a paying player i should be entitled to know where i stand on the table.

I have never come across this before and in my last centre every league had a reformation meeting before the first week of the new league to reconfirm or change any of the rules for the league. Also, each player received a copy of the rules for the league.

I do realise this issue may be a small thing and many are wondering why i am worried, but it makes you think...what other things are being changed??

I have bowled almost exclusively in AMF centres and never have I played a league in which a standing sheet has been withheld. VERY STRANGE!! though with some of the leagues I have bowled in I would not be surprised if this was attempted. ;)

How would you be able to check that the scores entered are correct if you are unable to see the standing sheet??

I would chase this up with centre managment.

Cheers,

I think you need a player vote, however leauge administrators seem to like taking advantage of bowlers lack of knowledge of the rulebook(sorry the cynic in me can think of no other reason!!)

i know some centres do it so the bowlers cant work out who has won etc etc, so its keeps it a surprise if the points are close

Once already this season my scores werent entered correctly, but i got it fixed after i realised they hadnt entered 3 games.
If its close would be another thing, but i think there is about 30 points between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3, but only a handful to 4th.
I think i will chase it up

I cant see how or why they would hold it back..

Leagues I bowl in have weekly standing sheets on the league board (not AMF) and i think its the best way to do it..

Whats to hide?

in my league we dont print out the standing sheet in the last 3 weeks.
But it was voted on by the players.
having said that it is annoying and next league im going to vote that we show it for the last 3 weeks.

Here is something interesting ive just started a league on wednesday nights and they have a rule now where you must wear a shirt with sleeves.
In other words no singlet tops or anything without sleeves.

Thats a good rule considering you must wear a shirt with sleeves and a collar when you bowl in tournaments.

Sounds like there could be a possible stuff up by someone & they trying to fix the problem without people knowing there is a problem. Well its a possiblity anyway.

As for the ruling about shirts I guess it depends on what type of league youre bowling in. A more serious type of league where everyone is playing for sheep stations I can understand the ruling, But for a more social league........

I must say as one who conducts events (not leagues) I will often hold off on releasing late sheets, and it's not because I have anything to hide.

It's to give me time to go back over everything and check it, pick up things like typing "19" in the bowlers score, and ripping them off 180 pins by accident.

Sometimes I like to do it to keep some suspense in the air. Sometimes I'm aware that the crowd I'm catering to don't want to know. Sometimes I'm just plain moody ;)

before you started your new roster you would of had a meeting to discuss and vote on your league presidant, vice presidant etc
and also your league should have a list of rules and things that your league abides by
and this is your league constitution and for your league not to show the standing sheet for the last 3 weeks everyone must have voted on it and if you all agree to then it is put in the constitution and the leauge abides by this and the only time you can change it is you must have a meeting and everyone must vote again but if you did have a meeting at the start and you did not vote on it then they are not allowed to stop you from having a look so if i was you i would be asking to see it and if they dont kick up a stink about it and harping each week and let everyone know that this is not allowed unless you voted on it at the start of your roster.

In quite a few tournaments i've been in, the standing sheet has been withheld towards the end. I think the same thing should be done for league, only cause it keeps it a surprise, and has everybody making a big push at the end. However, i also think that the lane draw should be shown,a long with teams opposition. Maybe have them on a seperate sheet???

This is BS pure and simple. Unless there is a problem with data being entered incorrectly there is no valid reason for the standings to be withheld.
It would be understandable and i suppose acceptable if this is organised and voted on by the entire league.
It shouldnt just be a matter for the league executive to decide if this is what they want to do.
This has happened in the past in a league i have bowled in. It is a sh*t house thing to do but if the whole league votes for it theres not really to much more that can be said.:swear:

Obviously most people agree it shouldnt be withheld without a meeting. No meeting ever happened at the start of league, no president, vp and so on

Awesome link Renta, i didnt know this was available. I was able to find out where i am :)

After studying my league sheet, it is showing me two games short...and there is the reason why it should be available. I did have some scoring machine dramas in recent weeks, not for the first time this league it has stuffed me up. Last time it missed 3 games.

The easy way to combat this problem is to keep track of your scores. Use a spreadsheet and keep your individual scores, who you played and the points each week. Then go into the centre and compare your results to theirs.

99.99% of the time it will be correct, but at least you are keeping your own scores. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this.

Most leagues I have bowled in have the policy of not showing standing sheets for the last few weeks, but as you keep your own scores, you will not be surprised at the end ;)

I am a statistics nut, so i have every game recorded since i returned to bowling back in 2002. Will do a print out and go and see them. It could have costed me 8 points missing those 2 games.

I can just imagine holding back the last 3 weeks of an AFL or NRL results before the finals. What a load of rubbish. The leagues bowl week after week and all results should be published so that everyone KNOWS what score have been bowled and what teams are in the running for the major prizes. This avoids nasty incidents occuring when not all the information is readily available to ALL LEAGUE bowlers. I would be asking questions with AMF regional Manager. Sounds like a cover up to me.:rolleyes:

that AMF results page is fine for house leagues, but non-house leagues those standings may be different (and can be). the league i'm in uses bowl101 and due to slight differences in rounding, the handicaps can be a couple of pins out compared to the league management part of computerscore.

what shows up on that amf link is (or should be) exactly what the computer scored on the night.

Enf...

Back
Top Bottom