How CAn We Help Country Cup

More food for thought
Determing the overall champion
I am trying to make the overall champion a true overall champion ie equal effort from both the men and the ladies team rather than a really strong showing by one of those teams and carrying of the other team.
At present it is the combined total of both the points of the womens and the mens maybe a change to the president shields way of awarding the overall would be a more competitive way of determining the overall champions ie for 1st place 10 points are awarded, 9 for 2nd, 8 for 3rd and etc. Looking at past results
2004 – Latrobe Valley won both mens and womens therefore 20 points – win overall

2005 – Geelong won both mens and womans therefore 20 points – win overall

2006 – Warrnambool won mens and overall – Latrobe Valley won ladies
Under the proposed scoring system
Warrnambool won mens and finished 6th in ladies therefore 10+5 points – 15- 178.5 individual points
Shepparton finished 2nd in mens and 4th in ladies therefore 9+7 points – 16 – 178 individual points
Sunraysia finished 3rd in mens and 3rd in ladies therefore 8+8 points – 16 – 177.5 individual points
Therefore although Warrnambool won the overall in 2006 under the proposed system Shepparton 16 combined points would have actually won the overall on a count back of individual points 178 - 177.5 from Sunraysia also on 16 combined points

2007 Albury won the mens Shepparton won the ladies and the overall
Under the proposed scoring system
Shepparton 5th in men 1st ladies therefore 6+10 points - 16-187 individual points
Latrobe Valley 2nd in mens 3rd in ladies therefore 9+8 points - 17-182.5 individual points
Colac 4th in mens and 4th in ladies therefore 7+7 points - 14 points 165.5 individual points
Therefore although Shepparton won the overall in 2007 under the proposed system Latrobe Valley would have actually won 17 combined points to Sheppartons 16

2008 Shepparton won both men and ladies – therefore 20 points – win overall

Looking at president shield this year - Victoria would have comfortably won the overall trophy under our system but did not win it under the current system that they run
Ie VIC 4th in boys 1st in girls therefore 7+10 - 17 points - 177 individual points
Southern NSW 2nd in both boys and girls 9+9 - 18 points - 161 individual points so although Vic had a combined total of 16 more individaul points than Southern NSW - VIC girls won by 19 individual points
Southern NSW was awarded the overall because of its higher finish of both the boys and girls team

Most of the players that bowl in CC also bowl in Emerson Shield. These bowlers bowl Emerson Shield every year supporting the fact that the events tournament format changes every year. From memory, not one year has run with the same format as the year that had past.

Emerson does not recieve the criticsm (sp?) that CC does, why is this? Why can the same group of bowlers support an event that changes from year to year (Emerson), yet not support changing the format of another event (Country Cup)?

Is this making sense or is my mind playing tricks on me at 4 in the morning?

Just a thought. Lol.

Emerson does not recieve the criticsm (sp?) that CC does, why is this? Why can the same group of bowlers support an event that changes from year to year (Emerson), yet not support changing the format of another event (Country Cup)?

Emerson is run by Goldpin which in turn is represented by the proprietors / managers and is trying to improve the event, therefore less complaints. Country Cup is run by a committee elect and is not comfortable with change.

Rob

I think you might be on to something there WOZA...that way the overall champian team is the team that performs the MENS & LADIES.
it would make sure that you kept going right to the end instead of giving up in your division when you know you cant catch the leading team..

Most of the players that bowl in CC also bowl in Emerson Shield. These bowlers bowl Emerson Shield every year supporting the fact that the events tournament format changes every year. From memory, not one year has run with the same format as the year that had past.
Is this making sense or is my mind playing tricks on me at 4 in the morning?
Just a thought. Lol.
True the event has changed nearly every years since its existance but alot of the changes have been forced changes ie zones being rezoned to include new centres/ remove some centres - This year I believe with the 2 zones - 9 games at the zone final it will be the best yet. The zone final will be worth going to (not going away to bowl 5/6 game zone final) The B/S being able to win a point has been abolished encouraging people to use the draft. Some zones were considered stronger than other zones hence the repocharge etc.But in the big picture it has still been progress to the state final by finishing high enough in the zone final. In our circumstances Morwell has not fielded a ladies side for the past 2 years due to lack of interest and only had a couple of CCup bowlers in the mens side for the previous few years. Morwells emerson side has been made up of an entirely different team than its CCup team for one reason or another
Emerson has some advantages over CCup in that only 10 teams progress to the state final and the state final is only held at centres that are big enough to enable the mens and ladies to all bowl at the one time. (the smaller centres are not left out as they hold the zone finals) Most of the complaints about CCup are the length of the tournament and the start/finish times because besides Morwell and Geelong not all teams can bowl together

just got through reading all the posts about the proposed changes, since moving to Mildura I have bowled in all country cups, it is a great format I do agree with option 2 with or without oiling it doesn't really matter everyone is bowling the same conditions so everyone has to make adjustments. and if you think u know what the conditions are going to be and u don't think u can bowl on them don't bowl hence c/c at sale, just my thoughts

Back
Top Bottom