COUNTRY CUP 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

I would like to know other country bowlers opinion on holding Country Cup at Colac in 2003. I have had quite a few discussions with our Ballarat bowlers and there are a number of reasons why we think it won't be viable to bowl at Colac next year.
It has been decided to bowl over the Easter weekend beginning on Good Friday afternoon and finishing on Easter Monday night. We all know that Country Cup is a long and gruelling weekend and this means an extra nights accomadation as well as extra time away from your family on EASTER weekend.
Colac has 10 lanes on which 12 teams have to bowl on meaning that 2 teams will have a bye in each game.( a suggested lane draw has been passed around.)
What will happen if there are lane problems or breakdowns?

We have also been advised that Colac has approxamitely 104 beds available for accomodation which means we can't possibly all stay at Colac. Some teams will have to travel from Ballarat, Geelong or Warrnambool and that means there will be no real rest period for bowlers not staying in Colac. They will have to hang around the bowl during their 4 hour break and travel approx 1 hour to bed down for the night.(Very tiring and possibly a dangerous situation for tired drivers)

I realise that it is Colac's right to hold this tournament when their turn comes around(the same will happen in Albury in the future) but the tournament has outgrown these smaller centres and other options have to be looked at if this tournament is going to stay in it's current format.

My suggestion for next years tournament is as follows:
1. To bowl at Geelong where the women and men's teams can all bowl at the same time and this also solves the problem of accomodation.
2. A dinner dance or function of some sort to be held on the Saturday night to be attended by all bowlers.
3. Colac association to run the function being held and all monies raised to benefit the Colac Bowl and association therefore raising their lineage money.

I am of the understanding that there will be some negotiation attempts between Vicpin and the Colac Association and that the decision is not yet set in concrete. If we don't display our views to the Country Association then it may well stay the way it has been decided. I advise all Country Victorian bowlers to pen a letter if you so desire in order for a change to be considered.

I would like to hear Country Cup bowlers opinions or suggestions on this matter. I don't want to see the Country Cup tournament lose any of it's prestige or dedication by our best bowlers but I feel that if held in Colac next year we won't get the calibre of bowlers that we have seen over the past years. Don't let Country Cup die!
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

I would like to know other country bowlers opinion on holding Country Cup at Colac in 2003. I have had quite a few discussions with our Ballarat bowlers and there are a number of reasons why we think it won't be viable to bowl at Colac next year.
It has been decided to bowl over the Easter weekend beginning on Good Friday afternoon and finishing on Easter Monday night. We all know that Country Cup is a long and gruelling weekend and this means an extra nights accomadation as well as extra time away from your family on EASTER weekend.
Colac has 10 lanes on which 12 teams have to bowl on meaning that 2 teams will have a bye in each game.( a suggested lane draw has been passed around.)
What will happen if there are lane problems or breakdowns?

We have also been advised that Colac has approxamitely 104 beds available for accomodation which means we can't possibly all stay at Colac. Some teams will have to travel from Ballarat, Geelong or Warrnambool and that means there will be no real rest period for bowlers not staying in Colac. They will have to hang around the bowl during their 4 hour break and travel approx 1 hour to bed down for the night.(Very tiring and possibly a dangerous situation for tired drivers)

I realise that it is Colac's right to hold this tournament when their turn comes around(the same will happen in Albury in the future) but the tournament has outgrown these smaller centres and other options have to be looked at if this tournament is going to stay in it's current format.

My suggestion for next years tournament is as follows:
1. To bowl at Geelong where the women and men's teams can all bowl at the same time and this also solves the problem of accomodation.
2. A dinner dance or function of some sort to be held on the Saturday night to be attended by all bowlers.
3. Colac association to run the function being held and all monies raised to benefit the Colac Bowl and association therefore raising their lineage money.

I am of the understanding that there will be some negotiation attempts between Vicpin and the Colac Association and that the decision is not yet set in concrete. If we don't display our views to the Country Association then it may well stay the way it has been decided. I advise all Country Victorian bowlers to pen a letter if you so desire in order for a change to be considered.

I would like to hear Country Cup bowlers opinions or suggestions on this matter. I don't want to see the Country Cup tournament lose any of it's prestige or dedication by our best bowlers but I feel that if held in Colac next year we won't get the calibre of bowlers that we have seen over the past years. Don't let Country Cup die!
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

Woody
i think you have a very good idear there and i think you are going to have a lot of bowler not bowl because they cant get the time off work or it is just to smill to bowl in and there Auastralia Open is on the some time so that what i think and i hope that your idaer works Woody because i might be able to bowl then if i make the team well all the best mate take care from
little macca
icon_razz.gif

i know this may sound silly , but why dont u bowl in the city (melbourne). thats what we do here in SA. we invite all city bowls to fill out a tender info sheet then we (all country associations) vote on it. (usually the cheapest game rate.) i know this defeats the purpose of having a "country cup" when it is held in the city, but think of it this way.... instead of bowling for say 10-12hrs a day (or what ever it may be) swapping and changing lanes, sitting out and so on u could get it done in 7 hrs (and this is including the jnrs). we always bowl over easter.

this was our format for this year:

29/3/02 11am opening ceremony
29/3/02 12pm start, finish 7pm (7games)
30/3/02 10am start, finish 5pm (7games)
31/3/02 10am start, finish 4pm (6 games)
31/3/02 dinner presentation.

we finish early enough each nite to sit back and relax and go out 4 tea. us people from mount gambier travel each year to and from adelaide by bus, the other associations all travel via cars. the bus is a good thing you all travel as a team and do everything together. we travel to adelaide thurs nite and usually leave by about 10 easter mon.

you will always get the 1 or 2 saying its not "country cup" because it is bowled in the city, but we find it the best way about it. adelaide is central to all the country associations.

i know that your juniors bowl on a completly different weekend, but put it this way.. if u were 2 bowl in the city u could all bowl at once, thus saving on travel accommodation etc.

easter has always been our weekend, but i realize that many of your top bowlers would want 2 bowl in the australian open (and the vic 150) and that 2 me, would have 2 be their dission which one 2 bowl in.

since leaving the country 2 bowl in the city we havent looked back.......
icon_smile.gif

Woody
i think you have a very good idear there and i think you are going to have a lot of bowler not bowl because they cant get the time off work or it is just to smill to bowl in and there Auastralia Open is on the some time so that what i think and i hope that your idaer works Woody because i might be able to bowl then if i make the team well all the best mate take care from
little macca
icon_razz.gif

i know this may sound silly , but why dont u bowl in the city (melbourne). thats what we do here in SA. we invite all city bowls to fill out a tender info sheet then we (all country associations) vote on it. (usually the cheapest game rate.) i know this defeats the purpose of having a "country cup" when it is held in the city, but think of it this way.... instead of bowling for say 10-12hrs a day (or what ever it may be) swapping and changing lanes, sitting out and so on u could get it done in 7 hrs (and this is including the jnrs). we always bowl over easter.

this was our format for this year:

29/3/02 11am opening ceremony
29/3/02 12pm start, finish 7pm (7games)
30/3/02 10am start, finish 5pm (7games)
31/3/02 10am start, finish 4pm (6 games)
31/3/02 dinner presentation.

we finish early enough each nite to sit back and relax and go out 4 tea. us people from mount gambier travel each year to and from adelaide by bus, the other associations all travel via cars. the bus is a good thing you all travel as a team and do everything together. we travel to adelaide thurs nite and usually leave by about 10 easter mon.

you will always get the 1 or 2 saying its not "country cup" because it is bowled in the city, but we find it the best way about it. adelaide is central to all the country associations.

i know that your juniors bowl on a completly different weekend, but put it this way.. if u were 2 bowl in the city u could all bowl at once, thus saving on travel accommodation etc.

easter has always been our weekend, but i realize that many of your top bowlers would want 2 bowl in the australian open (and the vic 150) and that 2 me, would have 2 be their dission which one 2 bowl in.

since leaving the country 2 bowl in the city we havent looked back.......
icon_smile.gif

Country Cup Bowlers,

I do agree that holding the tournament over the Easter Break is the wrong thing to do. It would mean that there would be the extra travelling involved due to most teams having to stay out of Colac in neighbouring towns, and travelling a distance such as that potentailly imposed isnt a good thing to be doing. Not safe.

It is Colac's tournament, but as Woody stated, it has outgrown the smaller centres sadly. The 3 ideas that were put foward by Woody:

1. To bowl at Geelong where the women and men's teams can bowl at the same time and thus solving the problem of accomodation also.
3. Colac association to run the function behing held and all monies raised to benefit the Colac Bowl and Association therefore raising their lineage money.

Are all good ideas. The other thing is maybe Colac are cut in for a small slice of the lineage also, thus giving them a nice profit for the weekend. The other benefit is that the Colac Bowl would then be open for trading over the Labour Day weekend, also another money maker for them.

The main point that I would like to make is that the tournament shouldn't be moved away from its current position on the calender. Of late changes are being made to the tournament that dont necessarily need to be made thus allowing for uncontrolable varibles that dont need to be in place. The suggestions put foward to move it back to March and hold it at Geelong are excellent, and I think would be supported by almost all bowlers.

Bottom line is: Dont change what it one of the best tournaments going around.

Cheers
Liquid Mojo
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_confused.gif

Hi Woody,
How goes it?

I could not agree with you more on the Country Cup crisis.
Just a couple of other points that could be used also
:- Easter is a religous time for some families,
:- Easter is a FAMILY time for some bowlers,
:- others can not possibly get says off because Easter Saturday is the 2nd busiest shopping day of the year.

As for renumeration for the Colac Bowl, bowlers here are willing to pay an extra $1 per game to help.

thats all for now
I'm sure I will think of something else
talk to you soon
Rob
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Country Cup Bowlers,

I do agree that holding the tournament over the Easter Break is the wrong thing to do. It would mean that there would be the extra travelling involved due to most teams having to stay out of Colac in neighbouring towns, and travelling a distance such as that potentailly imposed isnt a good thing to be doing. Not safe.

It is Colac's tournament, but as Woody stated, it has outgrown the smaller centres sadly. The 3 ideas that were put foward by Woody:

1. To bowl at Geelong where the women and men's teams can bowl at the same time and thus solving the problem of accomodation also.
3. Colac association to run the function behing held and all monies raised to benefit the Colac Bowl and Association therefore raising their lineage money.

Are all good ideas. The other thing is maybe Colac are cut in for a small slice of the lineage also, thus giving them a nice profit for the weekend. The other benefit is that the Colac Bowl would then be open for trading over the Labour Day weekend, also another money maker for them.

The main point that I would like to make is that the tournament shouldn't be moved away from its current position on the calender. Of late changes are being made to the tournament that dont necessarily need to be made thus allowing for uncontrolable varibles that dont need to be in place. The suggestions put foward to move it back to March and hold it at Geelong are excellent, and I think would be supported by almost all bowlers.

Bottom line is: Dont change what it one of the best tournaments going around.

Cheers
Liquid Mojo
icon_confused.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_confused.gif

Hi Woody,
How goes it?

I could not agree with you more on the Country Cup crisis.
Just a couple of other points that could be used also
:- Easter is a religous time for some families,
:- Easter is a FAMILY time for some bowlers,
:- others can not possibly get says off because Easter Saturday is the 2nd busiest shopping day of the year.

As for renumeration for the Colac Bowl, bowlers here are willing to pay an extra $1 per game to help.

thats all for now
I'm sure I will think of something else
talk to you soon
Rob
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

GREAT TOPIC WOODY
I BOWLED C.C 2002 GREAT WEEKEND ,GREAT BOWLING AND FANTASTIC FELLOWSHIP. BUT WHO ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE WHO TURN UP EVERY YEAR TO BOWL ,THATS RIGHT -THE BOWLERS.NOT THE ASSOCIATIONS OR COMMITTEES.
WHY ARE THE BOWLERS NOT ASKED WHAT THEY WANT AND DON`T WANT .WITH THE C.C GROWING IN STRENGTH EACH YEAR , PUT OUT A COMPREHENSIVE QUESTIONAIRE ON WHAT THE BOWLERS WANT .
WITHOUT FORWARD THOUGHT THE THE C.C WILL BECOME LESS IMPORTANT EACH YEAR .
IN CLOSING EASTER IN NOT ON KEEP IT THE SAME TIME AS 2002

YNOY

GREAT TOPIC WOODY
I BOWLED C.C 2002 GREAT WEEKEND ,GREAT BOWLING AND FANTASTIC FELLOWSHIP. BUT WHO ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PEOPLE WHO TURN UP EVERY YEAR TO BOWL ,THATS RIGHT -THE BOWLERS.NOT THE ASSOCIATIONS OR COMMITTEES.
WHY ARE THE BOWLERS NOT ASKED WHAT THEY WANT AND DON`T WANT .WITH THE C.C GROWING IN STRENGTH EACH YEAR , PUT OUT A COMPREHENSIVE QUESTIONAIRE ON WHAT THE BOWLERS WANT .
WITHOUT FORWARD THOUGHT THE THE C.C WILL BECOME LESS IMPORTANT EACH YEAR .
IN CLOSING EASTER IN NOT ON KEEP IT THE SAME TIME AS 2002

YNOY

Just an idea:

Maybe someone needs to generate a petition of some sort to be sent around to each of the associations for Country Cup bowlers to sign stating that we the bowlers want it changed back to the Labour Day Weekend in March and moved to Geelong. Then sent back to the generator of the petition and colated and sent to the next VCTBA meeting to be tabled as a topic. Then the issue cannot be avoided.

Cheers,
Look foward to signing.
Liquid Mojo

Just an idea:

Maybe someone needs to generate a petition of some sort to be sent around to each of the associations for Country Cup bowlers to sign stating that we the bowlers want it changed back to the Labour Day Weekend in March and moved to Geelong. Then sent back to the generator of the petition and colated and sent to the next VCTBA meeting to be tabled as a topic. Then the issue cannot be avoided.

Cheers,
Look foward to signing.
Liquid Mojo

I think that country cup should stay in the country. Its a country thing.
sure it is out growing some country centres, but there are a only a few centres that now are too small for the comp and if it was held at another country centre, such as woody's suggeston of having it at geelong but having funds that will go back to the colac centre.
Country cup should defiently stay in the country!!!! The thought of holding COUNTRY cup in melbourne defeats the purpose of it being COUNTRY cup!
icon_mad.gif

Just what i think!
Ciao Ciao
icon_smile.gif

I think that country cup should stay in the country. Its a country thing.
sure it is out growing some country centres, but there are a only a few centres that now are too small for the comp and if it was held at another country centre, such as woody's suggeston of having it at geelong but having funds that will go back to the colac centre.
Country cup should defiently stay in the country!!!! The thought of holding COUNTRY cup in melbourne defeats the purpose of it being COUNTRY cup!
icon_mad.gif

Just what i think!
Ciao Ciao
icon_razz.gif
icon_smile.gif

Yeah i totally agree with u woody bowling in colac would be just stupid. it is a long enough tournament without the hasel of bowling in a 10 lane centre.Everyone would be tried as and it makes it even harder when there isnt enough accomadation, and i know i wouldnt be traveling back to warrnambool every night and neither would alot of people.

Tim Treloar

Yeah i totally agree with u woody bowling in colac would be just stupid. it is a long enough tournament without the hasel of bowling in a 10 lane centre.Everyone would be tried as and it makes it even harder when there isnt enough accomadation, and i know i wouldnt be traveling back to warrnambool every night and neither would alot of people.

Tim Treloar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom