COUNTRY CUP MEMORABLE & CONTROVERSIAL MOMENTS

craig

well i will get the ball rolling with a couple of personal moments i endured during my country cups and i'm sure many more will be added from myself and everyone else

WARRNAMBOOL 1991
we were playing sale and their scorer had been instructed to call a foul on me whenever he felt i fouled from behind, at the start of the game i struggled, then in about the 5th frame i got called, the scorer was on the opposite side of the lane and for those that know warrnambool know there is no way in the world he could have seen from there

anyhow play was stopped for 30 minutes, we ended up taking the foul which was spared, i struck out, and the team virtually did too, sale was defeated 6/1 and to this day we cost them that country cup, because they had it in the bag

MILDURA 1990

all civilised people had been bowling on urethane for a good 8 years, and we turned up at mildura to bowl on lacquer oiled to 30 feet

the scores went thru the floor a couple that come to mind

me 147 for 9 games
andrew craig 144
so many in the field shot sub 160

mildura cleaned up, the tournament and the all stars, in what i would have to say was the most rigged and one sided condition i have ever bowled on

SHEPPARTON 1992

arrived friday morning, checked in to the motel, went down for a practise, shot 764/3, later on that evening we had a team practise, one of the team mates thought he'd play a practical joke on me and grab my ball in my backswing, during this activity, he accidentally crushed my fingers against the scorpion he was wearing severing the tendons in my bowling fingers, spent the hole weekend on the PINE, fun times them

GEELONG 1995

first year with sunraysia, knew we had a red hot chance, and the mongrel to carry out the task, that much mongrel at times that i think at times we didnt realise how bad we really were

i remember one of our guys (mick kellow) yelling out support to one of our guys, a sale opponent (ross morton) had started with the first 5, and thought mick was sledging him on the approach, he stood off the approach and glared, we were so shocked, we weren't even trying to put this guy off, anyhow ross threw a greek church and totally lost the plot after that, a free point, always a bonus

chris carmody and his lil master shane griffiths sledged and bowled like champions and in the process led the warrnambool men to victory

BENDIGO 1996

country cups synthetic debut, oil is there to protect wood, so why use it on synthetic was the strategy for the year, i think colac won easily

KETUT SIDANG trying to say "PARMAGINA" at the pub was the funniest thing i had ever heard

leaving on monday was the best moment

SALE 1997

theres nothing worse than listening to the locals bag their own centre, probably the last time the greats of sale bowled country cup

leaving on monday was the best moment

MORWELL 2004

????

Hey Craig....
Great Topic! :D Unfortunately it's not really relevant to me as yet, but it's great for a laugh! :wink:
What about....
Shepparton 2002
The Ballarat boyz and their introduction of the blow up doll mascot...Rhonda Rottenbox!
and i cant believe you of all people fogot about....
Colac 2003
Luke "the mouth" Roberts, talked it up to absolutely no end, stopping at nothing...made the self prediction for allstars....ETC! Even spoke back to u...haha! And then finished off the weekend nicely for a final average of 151! I went through the old posts the other day, and fair dinkum, wat a laugh!
Anyways....
Morwell 2004
TBD...
:twisted: :p :twisted:
DaN!

You country bowlers have too much time on your hands.. lol

Every second post on the Vic forum is about counrty cup...

its a pity us city boys cant join country cup and show them how its done.the only controversy here is that you even bother bowling in some of the centres you speak of.while we are at it what is the worst centre people have bowled at in victoria i for one wreckon shep takes the cake i think they sanded the lanes as preparation for state champs the other year instaed of oiling.

Would be good to get the 5 best Country bowlers against the 5 top city bowlers. Would be interesting to see

Hrmmmm interesting... Who would make the cut on being the Top 5 country bowlers... Should this be another Tournement... Say a Qualify of 10 Games.... Top 5 make the team? it could work... heheh...

Maybe each Country Centre can host an event where all ppl that bowl battle it out to make a final 4 or somthin then goin on the the final in where the top 5 country bowlers are made... does that make sense?

Oh no, not the "Country v's City" again. Before this goes any further, Country bowlers try out for Rachuig and see how many of you make it, you may be surprised. The average of Country bowlers is getting higher and higher.

Bring on Country Cup

Still can't wait for the weekend off.

Lisa

what can i say

"jealousy is a curse"

and every other 2nd post is coming from all you rachuig sooks

At 14 pages of C/Cup and 6 pages of Rachuig I think not. I agree. You country bowlers have wayyyyyy toooo much time on your hands. All this sledging here makes me wonder how much goes on on the lanes. Haha. :lol: :lol:

You have not seen sledging untill you've seen Country Cup, but on the flip side after all the bowling is done, sledging and all, we all still have a beer and a chat later. Some of the best sledgers from other teams are our good mates off the lanes.
At least we know where to leave it.

Rob

While on the subject,

Warnabool Country Cup, Chris Carmody walking up pushing his way through people and quoting loudly that "my bowling prowess or even my pityfull life would not even fit on a posage stamp", (expleatives removed)
then getting right in my face and quietly saying "their all looking, so we gunna get a beer later or what", to which I replied "of course" then he stormed off. :lol:

Oh and by the way we drew our game 199 each. :wink:

Rob

PS. and Griffo with one of the best hand slaps going around - right in your face and enough to make any junior think twice about throwing a good shot against him. 8)

seeing i post one TB once a year and probably read it 3 times a year, i'll make the following comment

with age comes maturity and wisdom

i'm a much more happier and boring person these days :)

i miss you guys so much and what i would give to have just one more run, i reckon 20 years ago, i would have made a comment like, i'll bowl 25 country cups by 2015

but fate has decided that will never happen
so enjoy it while you can

2013 this year - Warambool v's Geelong, Fish v's Alvise - The old push me shove you standing between ball return and console battle!
Many exchanges could mentioned in this regard!!

Russell Hinton telling me in my first year @ Sale to lick my finger's and stick it in my opponents (chris Heron from Warrnambool) thumb hole as he had 3 in a row against me, then him throwing a 3! Won the game!

Bendigo - The infamous "Marshmallow" comments and undertakings after bowling

Wozza pulling his pants up at the foul line to reveal "GAME OVER" down the back of the legs after putting Damo away will always give me a giggle.....

2004 Morwell, Mills v's Chandler, Mills ahead, Morwell Trailing Geelong in the points, neck and neck for the game around the 5th or 6th frame so one said something in the sledging match, then Craig throws a good shot and strikes. Turning round at the fould line gives us a gob full and proclaims we better look hard coz thats where the next F*****G 6 are going! And true to his word smashed the pocket every ball after! We still managed to come away with the Medal though as his team mates crumbled and we won!! Good Times.

And what about all the after Dark Fun over the last 15 years we have had that possibly isnt for this forum............

2004 Morwell, Mills v's Chandler, Mills ahead, Morwell Trailing Geelong in the points, neck and neck for the game around the 5th or 6th frame so one said something in the sledging match, then Craig throws a good shot and strikes. Turning round at the fould line gives us a gob full and proclaims we better look hard coz thats where the next F*****G 6 are going!........

That's nearly as good as Viv Richards' comment to an Aussie bowler after smacking him for 6...

2004 Morwell, Mills v's Chandler, Mills ahead, Morwell Trailing Geelong in the points, neck and neck for the game around the 5th or 6th frame so one said something in the sledging match, then Craig throws a good shot and strikes. Turning round at the fould line gives us a gob full and proclaims we better look hard coz thats where the next F*****G 6 are going! And true to his word smashed the pocket every ball after! We still managed to come away with the Medal though as his team mates crumbled and we won!! Good Times.
Your a peanut Motta - The year was right but wrong Tourny - that was Emerson and only Chucky had the balls to not only make that statement but deliver on it as well - I reckon it was the 4th frame X X 9/ X bag out 279 - but 2004 CCup was just as memerable - First Round Kissy Blocking the Ball Return even though he wasnt bowling - Millsy got the tourny director to eject him from the players area and Craig giving me the Game Over (in the 9th Frame) - Come Round 2 and our women were running away with the ladies and Men neck and neck with Geelong with 3 games to go - I got to return Craig the "Game Over" that game and we essentially ended their Country Cup and come away with the win. Ironicly the Game Over went into hiding for a few years before making a return against another Geelong Bowler

I have not been to many country cups, however this years will go down in history for Richard Shaws 103 game, and winning his point by 1 pin!

Back
Top Bottom