Junior Country Cup Bye

Woza

Out of interest what did other associations think of bowling against a bye for points in Junior Country Cup.

It was interesting that Sue said that the bye was leading on Saturday before finishing in 3rd or 4th position overall.

After looking at the averages of all the juniors their were a total of 28 kids (out of 66) whose average was less than the blind score.

In the boys 11 (1/3 of the total boys) had an average lower than the 161 required to win their point and in the girls 17 (1/2 of the total girls) had an average lower than the 151 required to win their point.

Latrobe was the only team that had all 3 of their boys and all 3 of their girls with averages higher than the bye and we won 8 out of 12 in the 2 games.

Albury was the most affected with only Matthew averaging higher than the bye.

Bowling against the bye for points in my opinion only suits the higher average bowlers and disadvantages the lower average bowlers. It does nothing to encourage the lower average bowlers.

I understand that this year was an exceptional circumstance where sale did not have a representative team (the normal bye was filled by a second host association team as has been the case for the last few years). Noramlly their would not be a bye in Junior Country Cup.

I know that this ruling was passed at the last agm of which I personally didnt attend but their was a representaive from our association present who I believe was against this motion.

Interested to hear other associations comments

I know that this ruling was passed at the last agm of which I personally didnt attend but their was a representaive from our association present who I believe was against this motion.
According to the AGM minutes there was no against votes for this motion, just one that abstained and they were on the oppsite side of Melbourne to La Trobe.

I believe that the bye should be bowled, but maybe in Junior Country Cup it could be structured differently so as to encourage not discourage bowlers.

Rob

According to the AGM minutes there was no against votes for this motion, just one that abstained and they were on the oppsite side of Melbourne to La Trobe.
I believe that the bye should be bowled, but maybe in Junior Country Cup it could be structured differently so as to encourage not discourage bowlers.
Rob

I have to agree with rob, the bye should be bowled. Should the blind score be a bit lower than what it is? like 155 for example?

I guess there are options. Lowering the average of the blind score. You could bowl but regardless of what you bowl every team when playing the bye receives half of the total points available, or the total points available (although I personally don't agree total points should be granted).

Or you could not bowl at all, as I gather some people feel that its too many games for the kids to bowl in two days so the weekend was spread to three days.

At the end of the day though, if the motions are not put forward at the AGM or each centre doesn't follow what would, in their eyes be most suitable every year it will change.

Maybe it should be unified through senior shield, junior country cup and country cup. That would save confusion too!! In my experience the decision made will not suit everybody even if they had their voice at the AGM!!

At the end of the day though, if the motions are not put forward at the AGM or each centre doesn't follow what would, in their eyes be most suitable every year it will change.
Agree 100% if you dont speak up then you have to accept the outcomes. This wwas the first time that it has been implemented and I personally believe that the score are set to high for the majority of the bowlers present lets say for example the averages were dropped by 20 pins to say 140 for boys and 130 for girls. The stronger teams are still going to win their points but the weaker teams also have a a chance to win their points (in this case only 8 kids had averages lower than these scores)
Maybe it should be unified through senior shield, junior country cup and country cup. That would save confusion too!! In my experience the decision made will not suit everybody even if they had their voice at the AGM!!
It is and will be in for Senior Shield this year and Country Cup next year.
Someone can verify but the scores but i think that for senior shield they are 170 and 160 for men and ladies respectively whilst for CCup they are 180 and 170.
I reckon Chandler be backin the bye to win CCup at Sale as one thing for sure it will be alot tougher than last year;)

Whilst i disagree with the rule of bowling the bye, it has been voted in and i accept that. I would like to know how the scores were decided upon.
If you look at CCup over the past ten years the averages have been
...... Mens Womens
2006... 196, 176
2005... 189, 170
2004... 180, 168
2003... 171, 163
2002... 182, 169
2001... 179, 167
2000... 179, 165
1999... 174, 163
1998... 184, 171

So other than 2006 and maybe 2005 (on synthetics) for most of the past 10 years 50% of the bowlers (or more!) would be under 180 average in the Men and under 170 in the women. I feel this will mean the bye will win more often than not. So my question is - how were these scores of 180 and 170 decided upon?
Woza's point is even more valid in the Juniors with most of the averages not within 20 pins of winning.

Back
Top Bottom