bowlers bad behavior !!!!!!

bfcc

as a tournament director it is sad to see the behavior of bowlers on the lanes. today in a 10 game period i handed out 3 yellow cards to 3 different bowlers for various reason (all warranted).

i have noticed in most tournys and leagues that bowlers today feel that it is there right to hit,kick,punch, swear just about do anything when they get a bad break or throw a bad shot.

i think the bowlers need to have a good look at themselves and the damage they are doing to the sport and there own reputation.

yes i am angry about the way bowlers carry on, when i pay to bowl in a tourny i shouldn't have to put up with these idiots who have no respect for the bowlers around them.

I guess when some people go from having 10 boards to hit to a crack to aim at they're not always going to be happy!!

Every shot is a bit excessive. When i have a run of bad shots or poor results (talking like 6 or more frames) i will generally shout out (heh, like last week, took me 7 shots to get into the pocket then i left a cold 8 pin :eek:), it's usually something like, "about time" or "yay, one in the pocket, now wheres the next lot going to come from". I dont swear though (well maybe to myself, but not out loud), and im not one for kicking machines, that sort of thing can be left outside i think. We all get frustrated, but if you are suffering outburst's after every shot, i think you really need to calm down, or seek some professional help. Unless you are one that lives off putting yourself under pressure and stressing yourself out, i dont see any point. If you have a bad game (like i did the other night) just throw it away, forget about it and get back on track with the next few.

But then on a totally opposite side, some people are upset by bowlers who talk alot, play up the shot, or generally look like they have a great time. I mean, it's all gotten so serious now that you could have a complaint filled with the director because you were giving out condolences when a bowler gets ripped. I just cant believe how quiet centers have gotten over the past 5-7 years, it used to be full of noise back then. Bowlers cheering on other bowlers, people having a dig at each other, supporters getting into it, and that was in league. Just doesnt happen these days :(

Yellow Cards

What do they realy mean in our sport?

I would have to say nothing!

I think the yellow card system should be changed.I mean realy, what good is recieving a yellow card if there is no penalty? The system at the moment only means that you have to control your anger for the rest of that tournament,after you recieve that yellow card.Thats fine if the yellow is shown to them close to the start of play,but not that big a deal if you have 2 and a bit games to go.

I would like to see the system changed to carry over through out the series.

For example: Soccer you recieve a yellow card,and that carries a penalty I think of 2 demerit points,Its a bit like a licence.You get 10 points at the start of the season, use up your 10 points and you get a weeks suspension and so on.

Maybe we should look at carrying over the yellow cards in each series so that it makes the repeat offenders think twice about there attitude and actions on the lanes.

I just think with the current system that a slap on the wrist is not realy that big a deal!

I would be interested in what you all think?

Jase

I have to agree with Jason. Yellow cards in out sport mean nothing. Perhaps (as Jason suggested) a yellow card should carry over to the next tournament, and another yellow card (in the current or subsequent tournament) means serving a suspension of some sort (be it forfeiting the rest of the games or forfeiting the right to bowl in the next tournament).

Otherwise the yellow card concept is nothing but a toothless tiger.

In somewhat i agree with you jase... But i think Yellow cards do mean something... Its a Warning to try and get recipiant of the yellow card to calm down and think twice about mouthing off or kicking machines again.. I think everyone deserves at least one warning without getting punished..
Did the 3 offenders do it again after the yellow cards? and if so did they recieve red cards? and before they got yellow cards did they carry on about bad shots or poor results?

LickwidGreen

Yes i know that yellow cards are ment to make them calm down and think twice about mouthing off or kicking machines. BUT do you think that these Adults realy need reminding of that every time that they step out onto the lanes.

One of the offenders that bfcc is refuring too,was yellow carded in the last tournament that they bowled only a couple of weeks ago.Doesn't sound to me as though that person has learn't from the 1st yellow let alone the second.

Its not as though they are recking there own equipment when they kick machines or punch centre walls is it!

Jase

Yeah i suppose your right Jase. And i do agree on what your sayin about yellow cards being carried over to other tournements.. but isnt it gonna be hard to keep track on who has yellow cards and who doesnt? i mean its another job in its self all together

lickwidgreen - the 3 bowlers didn't do anything after i talked to them.

the problem i can see is most tournys these day have adults and juniors bowling together and if the juniors see the adults carry on every time they get a bad break then the juniors will think they can do the same thing .

as adult bowlers and some of them big names in the sport they need to be aware that the juniors are watching them and will try to copy what they do, good or bad!!!!!

I think a yellow card should be given to anyone who makes a brainless comment or post on Totalbowling.

I'll start by yellow carding myself.
:roll:

One yellow card per poster..second offense gets you a red card and banishment from posting on Totalbowling for a month.
( Should be about five active posters left by the end of April ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

wchester said:
I think a yellow card should be given to anyone who makes a brainless comment or post on Totalbowling.

I'll start by yellow carding myself.
:roll:

One yellow card per poster..second offense gets you a red card and banishment from posting on Totalbowling for a month.
( Should be about five active posters left by the end of April ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

See that blue button up there (points to the right hand corner) -- thats the reporting button which reports a bad post to the moderators. We then have the option of giving a yellow card (warning) - 3 warnings and you get a red card. Or you just get a red card. Depends on the mood ! :vamp: :vamp::vamp:

:eating:

Shouldn't we be talking to the TBA about this rather then just gossiping within ourselves. Perhaps if the bowlers gave TBA their ideas then more things can be done. I have meet Alex Popov and he is committed to making Tenpin Bowling a better Sport. They can't do it by themselves. Talk to TBA about the Yellow Cards. It is a good idea to have them rolling over from tournament to tournament. But only the TBA can make it happen.

Later Da Cowman!

da cowman - i am talking to tba about what happened and what can be done about it so it won't happen again.

wchester - if u have something to say about the subject then please give us your thoughts, otherwise just don't bother posting on a serious subject .

bfcc

I was responding to Graham's tongue-in-cheek post. Have you no sense of humor Jeff?

On a serious note..I think the yellow card/red card system is a waste of time in this case. It has always been the prerogative of the tournament director to disqualify any bowler for unsportsmanlike conduct. So if you see it..then you gotta do it mate.

da cowman - i am talking to tba about what happened and what can be done about it so it won't happen again.

Excellent News, I hope it goes well and not just for you, but for tournament bowling in Australia.

Later Da Cowman

There have been some good points made here on this subject but I think the best way to deal with things like this is to start deducting pins from there total at the end of the tournament. Sure this might not work when someone is having a bad day and doesn't give a shyt but maybe after a repeated offence then that bowler could be dismissed from the tournament.

Loss of pins = Loss of positions = LOSS OF MONEY.

Just a thought.

graham said:
Maybe we should have an online yellow card register :p

LOL, an offshoot from the book of shame. Heh. That might work.

I think sean has it on the money though, but im not sure about deduction of pins at the end. I can see how you should be permitted a single warning, after the warning if you were to be given another one, you should be made to forfeit all pin count remaining in the game or block. You would think twice about it, having that sort of pin count removed would really give you something to think about before your next outburst.

a whole block may be a little bit to harsh, i say just take there higest game for first out burst and then each high game after if they wish to continue there behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom