Ball Theory

Working on the theory of the more you understand about how balls works would possibly make you better bowler

How does one learn about ball theory's Like pin displacement, PAP, drilling pattern etc
I know they sometimes run drilling courses but these seem few and far between.

Is there any web-pages someone could point me to?

I had 2 balls drilled a few years ago by a very reputable person in Melb only to learn a few weeks ago my span was to wide and this has got me into some really bad habits that im finding hard to get out of
If only I had know back then!!

hi nev25,
do a search on youtube there is a lot of stuff on bowling very informative also on bowling ball manufacture sites, if you want info specific to you post what you want & i am sure you will be helped
cheers

No, it's not a stupid comment...
Who is to say which person is correct/..the ball driller or the person who said you're over-spanned?

Well there was 4 people who said it
One ball driller, 2 coaches and a local bowler

I guess thats why I'm seeking info to see who's right

Thanks piequat and rambo1

google is your friend here, search there and you should be able to find anything and everything you want to know.

Also look at the tech forum here, there are some pretty good things here to read.

That's a very good article Robbie, Nev won't find his answer there as it tells him to Experiment, which is what he will have to do. He is probably right about being over-spanned, as this I have seen over 36 years of Drilling, to be the norm in the industry, many times it is the Bowlers themselves, who ask that they have no gap under their hand, when they lift up the Ball. I remember a group of Junior Bowlers, from Bennetts Green,who were taken to the USA on a Coaching trip, by former Australian rep Christine Roughley, one in particular being Jamie Sims, who many would recognize. He used to argue with me to take out the Slack under his Hand, but I wouldn't, when they returned they were all instructed to decrease their Spans.

If you observe many of the American Pro's, you will see they insert their Fingers deeper into the Ball, more like a Semi-Fingertip, I don't know of too many Bowlers who Bowl Semi in Australia, other than myself, I asked Batson if he knew any and all he knew was Bruce Peel. But I did observe Maxine Nable ( how unfortunate for her ) appear to have her fingers deeper into the Ball when she Bowled on the Pro Tour, now she had a longer span on her Ball than Andrew Frawley when I checked her and his for Honour Scores before she went to the States.

Good luck Nev in your Quest for Perfection.
willey

Over spanning is *very* common, to the point where I get accused of under-spanning! Then I have to begin the long, well practiced spiel on the mechanics of the joints of the human hand before giving them a business card. I recommend "Fitting and Drilling a Bowling Ball" by Bill Taylor as an excellent place to start on that subject.

For those seeking examples of this "radical new technique", Andrew Frawley has used a relaxed span since the 80's and has little to no trouble. There's some other nobody called Chris Barnes who's been doing the same. The old "full stretch" grip went out with the full roller.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom