Bad Trends

micheal yes i can honestly say i have never squeaked my shoes and i never would as i have more respect for the bowlers around me!!!!

I have been through the same sort of exercise a Rowdy and I must agree that it's a good exercise to improve your focus.
Should also try bowling on a saturday afternoon when there are 3 Birthday parties, 60 screaming kids, music hammering etc. Ask for 1 lane and ask to be put right in the middle of all the social bowlers.
Also good for the focus.
As for squeaking my shoes, I can't say that I've ever done it. My Dexters are probably the most expensive single piece of bowling equipment I own so they are the last things I'm going to mistreat.
I used to stamp my foot every now and then but don't any more. I give the occassional hand clap, sometimes out of frustration, sometimes out of joy.
We've all just gotta relax a little bit. BOWLING IS FUN

Graeme

BFCC I agree with you 120%

This sort of behaviour is unacceptable and I have spoken to several junior/youth bowlers about doing this during league and/or bowling tournaments. For some reason league tends to be the main place where this occurs, I don't see much of it at a National level.

For those youth and junior bowlers who think its acceptable to sqeak, clap or scream after, during or a before a shot, please take this advice

PULL YOUR HEAD IN!!

You do not see this behaviour at a PBA level or International level. Thats because the bowlers are focused and professional in their approach to the game. Have you seen myself, Belmo, Jason Walsh and friends squeak? yell? clap? the answer is NO!

Australia's best bowlers are usually very professional on the lanes and do not par-take in such childish behaviour. All of them have learnt from overseas experiences, you should be making an effort to imulate them if you are looking for success in this sport. There is also a matter of RESPECT for the competition you are playing, the aim is to bowl your best and try to win, not win by putting off your opponent by squeaking, clapping or yelling. This is very UNSPORTSMANLIKE. (If you really feel the need to try and put off your opponent, do it off the lanes not when he is making a shot, this is called talking smack which is a totally different topic).

As for sports pyschs and blocking out all distractions, yes that is correct but the point is it shouldn't happen in the first place. Every delivery I bowl is broken into processes, if during a process it is broken or disturbed, I put my ball down and start again, its no big deal. Having to put up with junior/youth bowlers who behave like 10yr olds on the lanes is a big deal and needs to be stopped.

If any junior / youth bowler does it in my presence I'll say something to them. If they continue, it will be report to the relevant tournament director or bowling centre proprietor. It's childish and uncalled for, I hope it stops soon.

PS. Ride a shot infront of Jason Walsh, clap you hands, yell and then squeak your shoes and see what happens. It maybe the last thing you remember

There squeaking there shoes... :cry: I'm amazed a thread about this could lead to 3 pages... Who really cares?

And the other point is most leagues are made up of people who bowl on average one maybe two leagues a week.
In the main they aren't into Tournament bowling or National or State.

They come to bowl because they enjoy it and they deserve a little respect. Those average bowlers may never be exposed to a Sports Psyche who could possibly help them to block out unusual distractions.

But they are the core of most leagues and without their money the prizefunds would look pretty pathetic.

And it might also pay to remember the next time you are fundraising for a State Team these average bowlers you might be upsetting are the very ones you are trying to sell your raffle tickets to.

Exactly, some people are taking this a little to seriously, I think that if you can't handle a person; riding, clapping, shouting, squeaking, etc in front of you then there something wrong with you, there are alot of idiots in this world, don't let them get to you...

After skimming through your post George, what you are saying is that you dont think its acceptable to pump yourself up, by yelling a "Cmon" or a hand clap, well im sure most out there will do what ever it takes to get yourself going "within the law of the game", from a spectator point of view i would rather watch...someone getting pumped up and excited, than watching someone...look like he is planting trees!! (where it all comes down to why we cant get our game on TV ) its not exciting enough to appeal to the general public.....

Mark Foster

George Frilingos said:
You do not see this behaviour at a PBA level or International level. Thats because the bowlers are focused and professional in their approach to the game. Have you seen myself, Belmo, Jason Walsh and friends squeak? yell? clap? the answer is NO!

Um george.... Belmo Yes.. he has... SA cup..... he was Pumped at that stage.....

Yes this could be just a one off.... Yes this it the first time ive seen him do it.......
http://www.totalbowling.com.au/v2/live/2005sacup/multimedia/SA05_Jason_Belmonte.mpg

There is the link 4 u!!

No hard feelings

Ash

While George does make some valid points, I've seen many a shot Belmo has rode and fist pumped and shouted out in celebration to himself. I've seen Jason Walsh also ride alot fo shots, but I LOVE IT!!!! Don't stop these things they make the game more entertaining, get excited George :D

i think the point george was trying to make is that u don't see the top bowlers carrying on when THEY HAVE BOWLED A BAD SHOT, everyone rides a shot now and then and gets excited but the problem is when these idiots bowl a bad shot!!!!!!

this is the problem if you have bowled a bad shot go back and think about it, work out what u have done wrong then fix it for your next shot, DON'T stand on the approach squeak your shoe and piss the bowlers around you all that will do is get in more trouble and you won't have any idea what u have done wrong!!!!!!

If people can't handle a little noise 2 or 3 lanes away from them, BAD LUCK! You need to try harder!

I have seen top bowlers do it for years, I watch the PBA every week and i have seen them do it.

If people are on the lane right next to you, or step up on you fare enough you have a valid case, but if its 2 or 3 lanes away your focus isn't really were it should be!

Anyway thats my 2 cents :D

Yes agree with if your having a bad day. you should defiantly try and be respectfull to fellow bowlers, by keeping colourful language to yourself, leave the squeking to the bed :D and not on the approaches.

Mark Foster

Gazaroticus Thunderstalks said:
Who the hell is Jason Walsh and why should I care what he thinks?

:shock: R U JOKING ME??? Great bloke, only bowled with him for one game at SA Cup

Back
Top Bottom