AMF PRICE INCREASE WHILST FOUL LIGHTS STILL DONT WORK

F

first300

It is terrible of AMF to even consider puting prices up at MOONAH HOBART TASMANIA till they fix the foul lights ,pin cups and clamps,respotting machinery and basically fix the broken down centre.I can't believe that someone hasn't said something about thier centre before and whilst i'm at it ,the prices of food and drinks in bowling centres is disgraceful .At moonah it costs about $4.60 for a box of hot chips and $4.00 for a cascade draught stubbie and $3.00 for a bottle of water or if your a tea totaler around $4.00 for a large coke that isn't even coke tasting.
IF THERE IS ANYBODY THAT FEELS THE SAME WAY ABOUT MOONAH OR THIER OWN CENTRE WOULD YOU PLEASE POST A REPLY TO THIS SO ATLEAST SOMEONE FROM AMF MIGHT BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN WHY THE FOUL LIGHTS DON'T WORK AND WHEN WILL THEY BE FIXED CAUSE I WAS TOLD THEY WOULD BE FIXED LAST MILLENIUM FROM FIRST300 : :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Yes i do

I have the prices of bowling here:

Junior 16 yrs and Under (original prices in brackets)
1 game = $9 ($8.95)
2 games = $16.50 ($14.95)
3 Games = $19.50 ($16.95)

Adult
1 game = $10 (9.95)
2 games = $17.50 ($15.95)
3 games = $21.50 ($17.95)

League Practice
$12 (up from $9.90)

meanwhile, some independant centres are selling games for less than $5
Even thought i am 16, i have been bowling since i was 3. games were around $5. Now, my league is $18, and we have cut back on weeks in the season.
I think that is all that needs to be said :( :? :x

AMF PRICES 4 GAMES SUCK

THERE U GO,THOSE PRICES ARE SHOCKING CONSIDERING WHAT SOUGHT OF QUALITY AND QUALITY OF SERVICE YOU GET FOR THE MONEY WE SPEND.THERE SHOULD BE A GRAPH OF HOW MUCH THEY CAN CHARGE FOR BOWLING CAUSE GAMES WOULD COST 75 CENTS AT MOONAH BOWL ,THE LANES BREAK DOWN SOMETIMES UP TO 15 TO 20 TIMES A NIGHT ON YOUR PAIR AND IT FRUSTRATES ME TO SEE PEOPLE GOING OVER THE FOUL LINE AND IT DOESN,T REGISTER CAUSE THE FOUL LIGHTS HAVN'T WORKED SINCE PAUL KEATING WAS PRIME MINISTER. I DON'T KNOW WHO I HAVE TO EMAIL TO GET THEM TO FIX THE FOUL LIGHTS AND THE MACHINES SO ANYBODY WHO KNOWS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST IT SO I CAN GET UP M THANKS FROM FIRST300

Those Prices ARE HUGE!!! i could play 5 games up here for the price of 3 down there...they are just unreasonable and very unfair.

The price of bowling is getting up a little too much, not only at AMF but many other independent centres throughout the country. Unfortunetely if there is an AMF centre nearby it is used as a benchmark for pricing, therefore as AMF put up there pricing so does everyone else.

I think the industry is looking to improve there lineage everywhere, many have upgraded there centres to create a more dynamic social atmosphere, with better lighting, audio and visual displays, but still games are down. I have to accept that the cost should be placed on the bowler for all these upgrades, but what is the level of that cost. In comparison the local movie theatres are just as bad when it comes to value for money, having similar pricing for drinks, icecreams etc, unfortunetly it is a vicious circle.

I personally believe that the cost of games should be around the $5.00 mark for social bowling, and $3.50 for leagues, although many proprietors will disagree with the exact figures, it is a known fact that league games and social games are down and that centres are not getting the same as they were a few years ago, something has to be done before they all leave and go and do something less expensive.

Imagine a bowling centre full of bowlers paying $5.00 per game for 3 or 4 hours straight, that is what everyone wants. Now imagine a bowling centre with 1/2 the lanes bowling for a couple of hours at $9.00 a game, I know what I would want, the longer they are there the more they will spend and possibly bowl more games !!!

My philosophy is simply, take care of your leagues and they will be loyal, create value for money in the rates you charge for league and social games, you want bowlers coming back, not experience it once and think that it was expensive and we may try it again when we can afford it. Centres should try dropping prices for certain days, they may be pleasantly surprised as to the response. This is something the cinema industry did many years ago, to get more people going to the cinema, it worked.

Regarding the foul lights, it is a TBA rule that the foul lights must be on at all times during sanctioned competition, otherwise a foul judge must be used. If the centre is allowing the foul lights to remain in disrepair the centre would have severe problems with even getting sanctioned. Contact your local TBA representative for a clarification of this, you can find there name and email address on the TBA website http://www.tenpin.org.au and look for links and Tasmania. To save you some trouble, also contact AMF direct by going to there website at the address in the sponsors section of this website. I am sure that the right people at AMF will give you an answer on your problems and answer your questions directly.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig

Im not on anyones side but i though that bowling was a family activity.

Now if i use the prices given by BT

Junior 16 yrs and Under (original prices in brackets)
1 game = $9 ($8.95)
2 games = $16.50 ($14.95)
3 Games = $19.50 ($16.95)

Adult
1 game = $10 (9.95)
2 games = $17.50 ($15.95)
3 games = $21.50 ($17.95)

Now an average family has 2 parents and 2 kids and say they bowl 2 games.
so,
$16.50 x 2 just for the kids
$17.50 x 2 for the adults
so thats $68

$68 dollars isn't cheap but then there is food. All up i would say that a family going bowling would have to take $80 and wouldn't expect to get change.

Bowling a family game. PPPfffftttt :?

AMF should really increase there prices inline with the CPI which is , give or take 3%

This might explain why......................

ROLAND SMITH TO LEAVE AMF;
COMPANY NAMES GEORGE W. VIETH, JR. INTERIM CEO

Richmond, Virginia, December 6, 2002 - AMF Bowling Worldwide, Inc. announced today that Roland Smith is resigning as President, Chief Executive Officer and Director of the Company. Mr. Smith is leaving to pursue another opportunity. AMF's Board of Directors has appointed George W. Vieth, Jr., a current Director of AMF, interim President and Chief Executive Officer. Philip L. Maslowe will remain Chairman of the Board. Mr. Smith will remain with the Company for a limited period of time to assist with transition matters.

Mr. Vieth, 47, a Director of AMF since March, 2002, currently serves as Chairman of the Audit Committee. He has held senior financial and operating positions at several companies, most recently at Humana Inc. where he was a Senior Vice President responsible for the company's largest commercial market segment. He is a graduate of Dartmouth College, the University of Virginia Law School, and the University of Louisville Business School.

Commenting on the new role, Mr. Vieth said, "With my board and audit committee responsibilities, I have had the opportunity to work closely with a number of AMF executives and to learn much about AMF's businesses. I accepted this position because I am excited about AMF's potential."

Mr. Vieth added, "Although we are sorry to see Roland go, we have a board and management team that are highly motivated and dedicated to moving the Company forward. In recent months, the AMF management team has introduced a series of strategic initiatives that are designed to deliver value for both our customers and investors. We wish Roland the best of luck in his new endeavors."

Qhat's the skinny about what's going on at AMF these days?

My research - stock today trading at .025 cents. Last quarterly report ending 09/30/02 (now considered 1Q 2003, due to change in fiscal reporting year change) shows a $20 million loss - a significant improvement from the $64 million in 3Q 2001, during its bankrutpcy reorganization.

Long term debt, $418 million, down only $3 million from its 4Q 2002 report.

Consolidated revenue for the quarter ended September 29, 2002 was $150.6 million, a decrease of $5.6 million, or 3.6%, compared with the prior year quarter. EBITDA (earnings before interest taxes deprecitation and amortization) was $13.1 million, an increase of $9.4 million above the prior year quarter.

EBITDA margin for the quarter ended September 29, 2002 was 8.7% compared with 2.4% for the prior year quarter. During the quarter ended September 30, 2001, the Company recorded $11.5 million in unusual expenses within Products, including $6.8 million related to increased reserves for accounts receivable, $2.2 million for increased reserves related to excess inventory and $2.5 million to adjust the net carrying value of certain assets and liabilities.

$10 foul lights I don't think are priorities at the moment..........

if they are only $10 foul lights, they shouldnt interfere with the operating profit or loss of the company, especially if they can be fixed internally. I dont beleive the performance of the companies shares have anything to do with the day to day maintenance of a centre.

where do you bowl at george ,do your foul lights work or does track pay for your foul lights to be fixed or do they know how much shite you speak on this forum,maybe i should foward everything you say through email to track evo revo and see what they think about the crap you post on here ,really george ,i only want the foul lights fixed but i,m sure every body will help out in another witch hunt all in the name of the game

First300

How about instead of cracking the sooks you proactively do something about it. How about writing to the General Manager of AMF in Australia with a history of events at the bowl with your concerns. Document them, maybe even get some other bowlers to write some as well. It seems like the obvious approach to me, I don't see how complaining to the bowl or having a spit on the forum is going to fix your stupid foul lights. I think you'll be surprised with how things get done when you take the correct steps and go to the top of the coporation tree.

This is one huge corporation we are talking about here, complaining to the centre manager is about as relevant as complaining to the girl who served you cold fries at maccas. If you have a problem, take the necessary steps to get them fixed, don't come on here telling your sob story because no one wants to hear it nor will the problem go away because of any post you type.

Get over it clown!

hey mate, if no one wants to listen to it then y did u post then?
if u dont want ne thing to do with it then just leave it alone and dont get into it.

first 300 has a good point and just coz things might be "perfect" at ur centre doesnt mean to say it is ne where else. so before u have a go at us for complaining y dont u get on a plane and come for a bowl down here and see for yourself instead of baggin us for complaining.
if u did that then you would be happy to join our side. be a little more open minded!!

moonah is a sh*t hole and everyone down here knows it, with the amounts of posts we have made dissin the centre you should now know it too.

I might be getting a little old and forgetful but doesnt bowling go up at AMF every December, regardless of whoever is leaving the company.

George : i may take this a little seriously, however i still dont see the correlation between the equity markets and a $10 repair to foul lights.....

Man you guys need to chill and takes georges advice
whinning and bitching on our national forum won't do a thing

what are u to judge george
pfttt

chao

Just to answer a couple of things mentioned in this post.

Moonah's Foul Lights
I do agree with Paul Lucock on the question of foul lights there.
I think those lights are jinxed unfortunately :D
They haven't worked since about 1993 - I remember about four years ago helping Norm Green and Shane Caulfield late one night (when I was bored) trying to rig up the foul lights again properly for the Special Olympics that was held at Moonah.
We did in fact manage to get them going for a while, amid much trial and error and swearing - from Shane and I - not Norm :D :D :wink:
I was working on the Special Olympics during that week - helping wheeling the wheelchair bound players up on to the approaches with those racks they use to roll the balls down - a couple of times I accidently sat the racks :eek: over the line before they bowled and it never set them off.
A great effort was made by the mechanics at Moonah to get them going again a few months ago - unfortunately I saw a bowler bowl on one particular lane and set a foul light off about three lanes across :lol: :lol: :lol:
It maybe that they might have to rip the whole lot up and start from scratch because I know the Techs down the back have worked on them before - numerous times - but they just don't seem to wanna go :D

Pricing
I really liked the post by Patrick Birtig from Bowlers World and that from BT about the current pricing structure.
My thought has, and always will be that you must always pitch to your strongest market - The Suburban Family.
The Mum and Dad and the two kids type scenario - $68 is way out of thier league.
Especially here in Tasmania where wages are much below what is being payed for the average worker in the Mainland states and Territories.
If you look after these guys they join leagues and practice to get better at the game - I must admit that I get very depressed when I see a good young bowler who has - if he works at his game - loads of potential, turn around and give the game away because of the cost - Unfortunately I'm hearing this story all too often these days.
I'm aware of AMF's perelous financial position at this point in time - my argument is that unless they can come up with new initiatives to arrest the current slide in League & Social bowlers the debt will only increase and the game will head into oblivion.
Drop the prices back and publicise the fact that it has been dropped - word of mouth is a very strong way of getting the public's backing.
Whilst, as an example, Moonah has a very loyal and good clientele of League & Social bowlers - this is fast diminishing by the year.
I see a game which could really thrive in this country if the prices were affordable to all - Not just your chic Townhouse yuppies.

The State of Bowling Centres
I have taken note of pictures in Totalbowling of the various centres that are used and note that they are all in very good condition - they mostly all look fantastic - which is good for the Sport of Bowling.
However, I also note the continuing disquiet from bowlers here when they pick up the AMF - What's the Score magazine and read and see pictures of "this new bowling centre opening, that new bowling centre opening up, this centre has had a $500,000 upgrade, that centre has had a major upgrade" - yet Moonah in Hobart (population 198,000) is still running equipment that is between 40 & 49-years old and simply cannot cope anymore.
The staff have virtually been "thrown to the wolves" - and do a great job generally under very trying circumstances - these people can only work with what they have been given - It is extremely tough on those guys.

These are just my thoughts, no offence to anyone intended. :wink:

The financial situation of AMF is a slight problem but i belive that they should lower prices and attract MORE people than raising prices and attracting less people. i found an old flyer advertising the holiday special price at 10.95. The year was 2000. Now they are 14.95. The average suburban famlity nowdays tend to go for as cheap as possible (as most ppl would).

Another thing, in the latest AMF magazine, they have done a 'small' research project on when the most 300's are bowled. They came up with 69% of this yrs 300's were bowled in New moon and full moon cycles!!!! why waste money on something that isnt all that important. They also misprinted Jayde Flangan's name calling her Jayne. Maybe instead of focusing on moon cycles, get to know our juniors

Back
Top Bottom