New Bowling Ball Discussion

John_Velo

Hi All,

Haven't posted for a while, in all honesty more due to a little lack of interest and to many other things going on like enjoying family time.

So I am posting this one for Jim.

The new Storm Crux, good or bad for bowling?

This is a ball that is designed to mend a bad release, openly listed as the ball to fix a chicken wing release. Me personally, this ball typifies everything bad with in the sport. Like the Ping Golf Clubs, this type of ball design needs to be pulled back. Ball designs need to be reigned in and the core strength reduced, harden the cover stocks.

For me, if you throw the ball badly you deserve a six count. But apparently not with this ball, the core will fix it all for you. Cancel your practice, not needed if you have one of these new never a bad shot balls in your bag.

Currently every thing in my bag is old, second hand, if i throw a bad shot, i get what i deserve.

Ok, Jim over to you.

Have to agree john, what makes this particular ball different to say the other 150 new releases a year is how they are marketing & advertising this ball. I for one won't be fooled on its hard sell approach, apparently this ball can hook on ice,mud, canola oil or any other anomaly you can think of o_O When u buy a new ball your buying hope aren't you ?

But to play devils advocate I believe without prejudice that a ball like this is also maybe aimed at a market which is largely neglected those with limitations, disabilities etc . Coaching special Olympians has its challenges some that can't be fixed due to physical limitations or attributes , so a crux may not be the answer to the problems but it may give those a little confidence or belief in their abilities.

The Crux core is designed so that clueless drillers can't screw it up. It's not going to damage what is left of Bowling's integrity (lol) any more than any other ball that will cover 20 boards for people with the rev rate of a sundial. Lane conditions give everyone the pocket, ball technology lets anyone get there with hand grenades. The Crux just makes it easier for the driller to make sure the bowler can pull the pin.

Not only will it make up for your chicken wing, it'll make you 4" taller, lose weight and grow your hair back!

But be careful. This ball is SO powerful, overuse will strip the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro!

Anyway, I reckon they just ripped off, I mean were inspired by, the Seismic Venator's Tenaci core.

Now John I have taken great offence to your article, don't compare Ping golf clubs to bowling balls. Golf is the hardest sport I have tried to play and no matter what technology does to a golf club I will never be able to play like a pro - unlike bowling. Let me know when you shoot six under on a tough golf course, Port Kembla off the back tees comes to mind, then you can compare.
I had played 6 game in two years and because I am going to bowl a seniors event in January had a sub, first game 267 then faded but still averaging 226 for 12 games thus far - I could never shoot the equivalent in golf.
And I totally agree it is what's wrong with the sport but it does sell bowling balls.

Now John I have taken great offence to your article, don't compare Ping golf clubs to bowling balls. Golf is the hardest sport I have tried to play and no matter what technology does to a golf club I will never be able to play like a pro - unlike bowling. Let me know when you shoot six under on a tough golf course, Port Kembla off the back tees comes to mind, then you can compare.
I had played 6 game in two years and because I am going to bowl a seniors event in January had a sub, first game 267 then faded but still averaging 226 for 12 games thus far - I could never shoot the equivalent in golf.
And I totally agree it is what's wrong with the sport but it does sell bowling balls.

Terry, let's face it, most seniors tournament patterns are more like playing off the ladies tees at your local pitch and putt course. Now, if you are playing on the US Open pattern when it is fresh, well, that's a very different story

What makes the CRUX ball any different to the XCALIBUR when it was first released ?? The manufacturers have to sell balls & the marketing has obviously got better over the last 20 years....who didn't want an XCALIBUR when it was released & it seemed to hook on any condition....
& what makes you an expert on Seniors tournaments, BD....have you been to any in Q'land ?? the upcoming HAMMER QLD SENIORS CLASSIC has over 100 entries.... I'll be there will you ?? Terry O'Meara, Hervey Bay, Qld.

Hi Terry,

please don't take offense, it was either going to be ping clubs or carbon tennis rackets i used as an example. the clubs were the first that came to mind.

i don't know if the seniors are harder or easier patterns than your typical house pattern. what i do know is that when any body comes to my local and throws a game they all complain about the scoring pace. i usually laugh knowing that they have come from a walled up 12:1 house with super strike in a box balls they used in league.

my local is around 6:1 ratio for league, i have myself on a one ball diet for league, a urethane. since doing this i have had some good nights and some bad night. more bad than good. but, miss right a board or two should result in an 8 count, and that is what a get.

i feel as though it is getting back to the very basics of bowling as a sport. it is a physical game based on accuracy and repeat ability. the top guys will tear the score sheet apart with telephone numbers using these balls. but the average guy like me, we can't hit the side of the barn from six feet away, these balls do nothing to improve your game. sure your scores go up, but make the condition a little tougher and they still can't hit the side of the barn and they wonder why they drop 30 pins a game and only strike twice.

it's all fun.

Terry, let's face it, most seniors tournament patterns are more like playing off the ladies tees at your local pitch and putt course. Now, if you are playing on the US Open pattern when it is fresh, well, that's a very different story

Hi Brenton.... its been a while -2012 when you last bowled Hammer Classic
still have a spot in A Squad :)

cheers
Carol

Hi Brenton.... its been a while -2012 when you last bowled Hammer Classic
still have a spot in A Squad :)

cheers
Carol

It has been a while. And it will be a while longer. My game has taken a back seat now to Jays career. MIght make a comeback at some stage, but not in the near future. Good luck with the tournament

Hi John, I love your posts and I was joking about the offence part you wouldn't offend anyone. Brenton brought up the seniors thing, I was just talking about comparing bowling equipment vs golf. There really is no comparison, bowling equipment helps bowlers enormously but golf equipment not so much, you still need to hit it square with power and that's really really difficult. It may go further but mostly means going deeper in the trees.
With the seniors they enjoy bowling, it's fun that's why I am bowling in the Hammer simply because it's fun, I don't stand a chance of winning because I don't bowl but I am hoping to enjoy bowling with everyone.
Bowling with urethane is good fun keep it up your game will improve, say hi to your dad for me he's a great man.

Hi Terry Wenban, I think John has got you & me..Terry O'Meara mixed up...I was also referring to Brenton when I mentioned the Seniors events...considering he (BD) bowled in 2012 at Caboolture.. I thought it was a low blow in comparing them to "ladies tees etc".. I also enjoy bowling & am making a big effort in returning to tournament bowling this year. Look forward to seeing you at Caboolture in a couple of weeks.
Terry O'Meara

Valid comments Mr Wenban and good question on the ball, Mr O'Meara. The Crux, Venator, Raging Bull, Reax 2, Yeti and Guru cores all have similar engineering in that when you drill pin-up, you increase differential in these balls substantially. Pin up will actually make these balls react earlier and stronger for a semi-roller release because the thumb hole increases the mass bias of the ball. In the Radical balls, this is then assisted by the scoop at the top, making the very peak of the core asymmetric as well. Lots of polar leverage and differential RG going on in those things.

As for seniors patterns, Oh God, do we have to explain the rainbow to the blind men yet again..? 10:1 is cheating, OK? House shots are blocked lanes. This used to be called cheating. Now it's called a "house shot." Just like being killed by your own army is now called "collateral damage" and sacking hundreds of workers is called "rightsizing." It's a screwed up world of weasel words we live in.

Brenton Davy is on the money with his comments. Sorry if the truth seems like a low blow to the willingly deluded. None of us are better than Earl Anthony was. None. Why on Earth do we regularly see scores better than his record performances? Because it's a set up. The pitch is doctored. The fix is in. Try all the justifications in the world, but it's too late, the veil is lifted.

The Emperor wears no clothes.

Last edited:
What makes the CRUX ball any different to the XCALIBUR when it was first released ?? The manufacturers have to sell balls & the marketing has obviously got better over the last 20 years....who didn't want an XCALIBUR when it was released & it seemed to hook on any condition....
& what makes you an expert on Seniors tournaments, BD....have you been to any in Q'land ?? the upcoming HAMMER QLD SENIORS CLASSIC has over 100 entries.... I'll be there will you ?? Terry O'Meara, Hervey Bay, Qld.

Terry, I'll go lightly on you here...

I have been bowling seniors tournaments for 5 years. I've won 2 Senior Australian Opens, 2 Black and White Classics and runner - up in hte Hammer (all in Qld!) and won medals in Asian Zone Seniors competition.

What makes YOU an expert?

Back
Top Bottom