Can we afford to have a grind ball?

tonx

As the title suggests, this topic is about the "Old faithful ball" in our bag.

It doesn't strike as much as it used to, instead it gives us a smooth arc off the breakpoint, and allows us to hit pocket consistently even without perfect execution.

These balls used to be used on tight conditions, where a 200-210 average is enough to win a tournament, because to win, you had to stay out of trouble the entire event. In league, we all seek "honour scores" moreso than 1 or 2 pin increases in average. They are sometimes a great ball to start with if you are happy to work your way into a shot opening up.

In today's higher scoring environments, is there any point having this type of ball in our bag? There are more than enough spaces filled with the ball of the month that is designed to make us strike at every opportunity, which is almost required to average the 230 needed in todays game to make an inprint in the bowling world.

Some tournaments even require 250 averages to win. Can YOU average 250 with your go to ball???

Can we afford to have our old faithful in our regular tournament bag?

Well in light of seeing the tough scoring condition at Sydney Youth, i think there is definitely a spot for a ball that is consistent and more forgiving in finding the pocket! instead of squirting 250s and then 140s, a few 190s that is consistent will make the player more confident in shot making. The old faithful can always be used as a spare ball ;)
R

i've always carried my sharp blade for that purpose, it is still the most reliable ball i own when nothing else works it may not hit like my zilla every ball but 9 spare is better than a whopping big split from the zilla going through the nose

Well here's one for you Tonx,
i just recently replaced my "go to ball" with a brand spankin new "go to ball", same brand same cover, same drilling.
First full 3 game series with OLD ball - shot 602
First full 3 game series with the new ball - shot 696. (thnx Max for the new one) Also thnx Patrick for the drilling
It was the the ball you sold me the Frankie May.
Also shot a 696 series thursday fortnight ago with the Violet that Droooo sold me in Tassie last year

Well in light of seeing the tough scoring condition at Sydney Youth

When I finally found my shot I was using an old dead fired up so I think there will always be room in my bag for old faithful ... or in this case the "Daddy Ball".

Craigy.

Back
Top Bottom