Australian Team Fund Account

KriDdLe

I was just thinking about the cost of making the Australian Team.
Some people have said in other sports the Australian team goes away totally subsidies. I know that in our sport it very hard to get some funding let alone total funding.
BUT - I have a suggestion.
WHAT IF TBA set up a fund account totally dedicated to Australian Rep teams, and this account was funded through a percentage surcharge on Ranked tournaments. In this suggestion I will proportion it through amount of adult entries and youth entries.
Just incase you don't understand I'll give an example using K&K.
(Hope i worked this out right)
DATA:
1% surcharge to every entry.
23 men bowled A squad ($125), and 6 women bowled A squad ($115)
99 men bowled B,C,D & E squad ($175), and 27 women bowled B,C,D & E squad ($165).
Youth bowlers 60
Adult bowlers 95
Total bowlers 155
Total Amount for each gender:
Women: (115x6)+(165x27) = $ 5,145
Men: (125x23)+(175x99) = $20,200
Total amount: = $25,345
Surcharge to Australian Team Fund (.01):
Youth: [$25,345 x (60/155)] x .01 = 98.11
Adult: [$25,345 x (95/155)] x .01 = 155.34
And because we have So many ranked tournaments every year this could raise alot of money, without even noticing!!!
This is just an example. There could be abigger or smaller surcharge. And i used a percentage rather then a flat rate because each tournament has a different amount of entries. I just suggested that the funding be divided into youth and adult because it seemed to average out. But we could just have a total fund and use it when needed or we could just put a surcharge from total entries in an adult events for an adult australian team fund and total entries of youth events to a youth australian team. (Which ever is preferable)
Please tell me what you think.
Or any improvements to this suggestion.
Just an idea to raise money for our australian reps.

By the way this is just a draft idea so please don't be to0o0o cynical.

Constructive criticism preferable.

Interesting - except that if the fact of life is, at least according to a raft of posts to this site - that the reason National tournaments are in the toilet is because of massive entry fees - then I think this concept may not be what is required to ..

1. Advance the number of entries in ranked events.

2. Drive significant revenue to support National Team finances

the reason - it will be a rare day that a promoter simply soaks up the 1% surcharge and does not just add it to the overall entry fee - and who could blame them.

..and I should add - just 1% you say - yes indeed a small sum to be sure - but as I understand it from those that have written about the massive cost of entry fees - and the impact of the current cost of living - the difference for many between bowling and not is knife edge fine when it comes to the financial math.

I was just thinking about the cost of making the Australian Team.
Some people have said in other sports the Australian team goes away totally subsidies. I know that in our sport it very hard to get some funding let alone total funding.
BUT - I have a suggestion.
WHAT IF TBA set up a fund account totally dedicated to Australian Rep teams, and this account was funded through a percentage surcharge on Ranked tournaments. In this suggestion I will proportion it through amount of adult entries and youth entries.
Just incase you don't understand I'll give an example using K&K.
(Hope i worked this out right)
DATA:
1% surcharge to every entry.
23 men bowled A squad ($125), and 6 women bowled A squad ($115)
99 men bowled B,C,D & E squad ($175), and 27 women bowled B,C,D & E squad ($165).
Youth bowlers 60
Adult bowlers 95
Total bowlers 155
Total Amount for each gender:
Women: (115x6)+(165x27) = $ 5,145
Men: (125x23)+(175x99) = $20,200
Total amount: = $25,345
Surcharge to Australian Team Fund (.01):
Youth: [$25,345 x (60/155)] x .01 = 98.11
Adult: [$25,345 x (95/155)] x .01 = 155.34
And because we have So many ranked tournaments every year this could raise alot of money, without even noticing!!!
This is just an example. There could be abigger or smaller surcharge. And i used a percentage rather then a flat rate because each tournament has a different amount of entries. I just suggested that the funding be divided into youth and adult because it seemed to average out. But we could just have a total fund and use it when needed or we could just put a surcharge from total entries in an adult events for an adult australian team fund and total entries of youth events to a youth australian team. (Which ever is preferable)
Please tell me what you think.
Or any improvements to this suggestion.
Just an idea to raise money for our australian reps.
not a bad idea at all krystal

the other thing that i would love to see tba attemp with the centre owners is making social bowlers contribute to the sport of bowling by incorparting a 50c levly on every social game bowled in sanction centres that would go direct to TBA. TBA would raise over 300k a year just doing that.

..I'm sorry how much? I think we have a failure to understand certain commercial realities here...just FYI..let's just use the primary operator for the sake of discussion and let's assume they have 50 centres [just so the math is simple - you understand]..... let's say 24 lanes per centre - again to keep it simple..

24 x 50 = 1200 lane beds - let's say social play per day is just 10 lines per lane = 12,000 social play games per day x 50c = $6000 [let's say again for the sake of keeping things simple] - x 300 days per year [because on Monday's there is no social play - this statement is wrong and is a joke you understand - but it's just to keep the math simple] = $1.8 million. You think any business is going to allow anyone to glum $1.8 million straight off their bottom line simply by asking? Oh how simple life would be.

..I'm sorry how much? I think we have a failure to understand certain commercial realities here...just FYI..let's just use the primary operator for the sake of discussion and let's assume they have 50 centres [just so the math is simple - you understand]..... let's say 24 lanes per centre - again to keep it simple..
24 x 50 = 1200 lane beds - let's say social play per day is just 10 lines per lane = 12,000 social play games per day x 50c = $6000 [let's say again for the sake of keeping things simple] - x 300 days per year [because on Monday's there is no social play - this statement is wrong and is a joke you understand - but it's just to keep the math simple] = $1.8 million. You think any business is going to allow anyone to glum $1.8 million straight off their bottom line simply by asking? Oh how simple life would be.
i understand what you are saying. But most centres put their lineage up every year, if something like this happened couldnt they just add 50c to whatever price increase they decide. Maybe im just being a bit naive.

Steve,

While I agree 50 cents a game is a bit extravagant. Even if it was only 5 or 10 cents a game bowled in a centre each day, I dont see that the money would be coming off the businesses bottom line. If they are going to have a 10 cent increase in game rate and they make it 15-20 cents to cover the levy. Yes the business are the ones paying the money out, but if a levy wasnt in place for them to collect the money they wouldnt have increased the rates an extra 5 or 10 cents and be collecting it anyway would they. So I dont see that its coming out of there pockets. Social & League bowlers would be funding the sport through a % of the bowling fees collected.

5 cents a game. $200,000-$400,000 a year with most centres on board.

I thought raising the profile of Tenpin Bowling through:-
Funding National Teams, State Teams, Sponsorship of Tournamets, Nationals, Shield, Rachuig etc would be a good thing.

Maybe it needs some radical concept to get this sport kick started again. Nothing ever happens if everybody justs sits back and bags ideas all the time.
This was something a few people here were discussing a couple of years ago.

I knew this topic would come with some scepticism.
But please if you don't like this idea please try to create a better suggestion(hence constructive criticism).

I'm sure in a tournament where i play $180 im sure 1.8 more will not be enough to make me not bowl a tournament. (Id even let them roung it up to $5)

If governments are able to charge massive levys on things such as petrol & alcohol, and increase their income why can't TBA (OUR GOVERNING BODY) have some power in increasing a levy (and its not like its going into their own pocket its going to a good cause).

Going back to my example I'm sure $250 out of a prize fund of $25345 is minimal.

Chin - whilst we both understand each others perspective - allow me to say that simply grinding out more money from the commercial side of bowling is not the answer [although on the surface it appears to be a simple solution]. Believe me when I note two things.

1. The "Industry" does a great deal for bowling overall - a great deal more than most know or understand - and much of it goes on without due notice and often happens without fanfare.

2. The trick is to create opportunity for "new money" to come into the sport...sure it's easier to tap into the commercial side of the business that is already there - far easier than driving a marketing program to develop and induce new money....but again please refer #1 above.

Krystal, your idea is fine. However I don't think the revenue raised from tournaments would be in any ways significant to fund youth, adults and SENIORS (you left us out!!) in the way you envisage.

For what it's worth, I think it might be a better objective to raise annual TBA membership fees by an amount that would ensure enough funding (or at least partial funding) for all our teams and to increase bottomline revenue for TBA to allow them to operate more efficiently and to meet our (ie bowlers in general) expected outcomes.

I believe there are about 30,000 registered members so the "maths" to provide the above should be based on this figure. $10 p.a./person should be a minimum amount (in my opinion it should be a lot more) and at least some revenue is coming in without having to kick Centres or sponsors for everything all the time.

Cheers

Interesting.........

Why not a $0.20 surcharge per week for each league a person bowls? Even someone playing 5 leagues would only be up for $1 a week and if they are prepared to play 5 leagues then surely that wouldn't be an issue. Someone bowling 1 league a week is up for $10.40 a year and it is spread over the entire year.

This is more of a user pays type system and is fairer to all.

At the end of each season the Secretary/Treasurer of the league would be responsible for filing a "return" to the TBA with details of the number of bowlers, weeks etc and the amount.

30,000 people registered x 1 league a week x 20 cents = $312,000 a year.

Now if everyone sent me a 5 cent piece once a week........pm for address if interested..

Sorry forgot the snrs:sorry:

Well i thought of those ideas... but why should someone who has no incentive to bowl a tournament let alone Rep Australia have to pay? I thought it was a good idea to do this through ranked tournaments because these are the people that are going to benefit from this because these are the people that are most likely to roll off.

I think the biggest problem is we have two completely different organisations 'runnng' our sport.

One is trying to find money from nowhere to fund movements forward in our sport. The other is trying to scrape every last cent out of everyone that walks into their doors.

Would it be lovely if the latter could realise that increased promotion of our sport at the highest level is much more productive form of advertising then always meaning fun? People see stuff on the TV and think that looks alright, I might go have a go. Big example. When Brett and Shane Lee were in the Aussie cricket team. The Oak Flats Rats (their home club here in The Illawarra) experienced a massive growth in young kids wanting to play and be the next Brett or Shane.

When will it stop being all about the fun, and just a little about the Sport?

If these two bodies could come to an agreement. Whether it be a 10c levy on every game, or a registration fee for eveyone who bowls. Not just us league bowlers. Then maybe, we could actually start raising some money for the governing body to be able to subsidise Rockway, Youth, Shield and Australian teams. Then if we are lucky enough, these tournaments, especially Rockway, can return to it's former greatness...

Later Da Cowman!

Chin - whilst we both understand each others perspective - allow me to say that simply grinding out more money from the commercial side of bowling is not the answer [although on the surface it appears to be a simple solution]. Believe me when I note two things.

1. The "Industry" does a great deal for bowling overall - a great deal more than most know or understand - and much of it goes on without due notice and often happens without fanfare.

2. The trick is to create opportunity for "new money" to come into the sport...sure it's easier to tap into the commercial side of the business that is already there - far easier than driving a marketing program to develop and induce new money....but again please refer #1 above.

People keep saying the Industry does a lot for for bowling. As long as there the only benifiting from it. Obviously with the dwindling numbers in League, Memberships, Tournament Entry's etc over the last 10 years it hasnt been enough. The Industry has to stand up and except its portion of the blame for the condition the sport of Tenpin Bowling is in today. How far does the sport have to implode.

The people putting up the "new money" will want to know what they get out of it.

And at the moment thats very little isnt it. Thats always been the problem.

10 years time the bowling centres will have there perfect Industry. No National body to annoy them, No Tournament play & No League play to give discounted game rates to. Just social bowlers 24/7 paying top dollar.

The perfect world.

ROCKWAY !!!!!

If our sport is to be promoted at all, surely the spelling of the so-called best teams event in the country - RACHUIG - could be spelt correctly.

Promotion and advertising surely needed here, but that is another subject!

Flower

Well I think that would defeat the purpose of calling it Rachuig (Rockway!).

With the Tournament being named and held in honour of an individual who had a great impact on Tenpin (Walter Rachuig) it would sort of defeat the purpose of having it named after him if we changed the spelling just so that it is pronounced as it reads!

Well I think that would defeat the purpose of calling it Rachuig (Rockway!).
With the Tournament being named and held in honour of an individual who had a great impact on Tenpin (Walter Rachuig) it would sort of defeat the purpose of having it named after him if we changed the spelling just so that it is pronounced as it reads!
I think that was her point, cow spelt it like it sounds, not like it's meant to be

Back
Top Bottom