TBA Income & Accountability - Suggestion

Firstly, I acknowledge those who have taken to our game the way many people have - it is the world's most expensive sport.

Taking into account a full arsenal of gear, coaching/training/practice, 2 or 3 leagues a week, snack bar etc, roll-offs for some, tournaments & etc.........

For those who aren't sponsored, it could cost as much as $10,000.00 per year or more.......Even the once a week league bowler spends over $1,000.00 annually.

My point is this........I have been involved in a lot of sport over the years, played competitive Aussie Rules, tennis, cricket, soccer, baseball & etc. In not one of those sports has such a small percentage of playing fees been directed to the governing bodies. Generally around 33% would go to the association for administration fees, wages or honorariums, correspondence, office rent, phone, utilities, office supplies, electronic equipment, training of representative sides, travel & accommodation for representative players, promotion of the sport & etc......If we look at even the once a week bowlers, only 2-3% goes to the TBA, if we look at those who spend $10,000.00 plus a year, it will equate to 0.2%.

Bearing in mind the majority of those associations I have spoken of are only local or statewide amateur bodies, and have nowhere near 50,000 or more registered participants - I think the TBA is not getting the funding it needs.

Before everyone jumps down my throat.....there have been threads on here with a) people unhappy with what we get for our fees, b) the popular opinion is the TBA was underprepared for the recent Australian team's participation & c) the appointment of a national coach.

I am not having a shot at anyone at all in this thread, just trying to get some perspective on where the sport is at. The reason the TBA get such a small percentage of the total league bowling income, is that is the way it always has been. Like so much in this sport, nothing much changes from year to year. No matter who is in charge of the TBA, unless income from participation is at a better level - the body will always be hamstrung.

The whole business world knows that to survive, one must continually improve, generally that is done by 3 methods 1) adequate capital, 2) increasing sales & therefore income & 3) increasing percentages.

We as a bowling community are not interested in the new membership packages as recently announced, particularly for the once a week bowler who would not know the national body existed. I can imagine many bowlers baulking at a $55.00 membership package (and having to part with a payment that size) which really does have no benefit to the regular bowler anyhow, however.............and I'll come to that shortly...

For years now I have been saying the average league bowler (no matter how good or bad), has been under-informed on what is going on in the sport. 95% of league bowlers receive no information at all about tournaments, roll-offs, sponsors, specials & etc. Bear in mind, not even 10% of Australia's bowling public are members of this site !!!!!!!

We need a firm chain of command with accountability at every stage. TBA nationally is responsible for the broad spectrum of the game, tournament planning, Nationals, rules, promotion/marketing, accreditations, coaching/training, travel, team selection & etc. State bodies are the link men, responsible for supplying information back to National body, controlling tournaments etc in their home state, properly running associations and their meetings. Association secretaries then hold meetings with league secretaries and report back and forth to the State body as required. League secretaries must then pass on the information to each and every bowler in their league.

We are getting close now folks..........I feel we have to support the TBA with a fixed rate per time we bowl. My suggestion is to abort the yearly fee we pay, and the TBA receives funding on a usage basis. If we said that every time a bowler plays league, ONLY $1.00 goes to the TBA. If that means league fees per week go up by that dollar to cover it....so be it. If it means ONLY $1.00 less per week goes into our prize fund or social fund..........big deal.

When one takes on voluntary jobs, such as league, association and State secretaries - they must be taken on with gusto to make sure the sport as a whole improves. If it means these people have to be responsible for the collection, reporting and payment in each stage of the ONLY $1.00 per league to the upward person in the chain - it is what needs to be done. With electronic banking etc, the funds could be transferred on a weekly basis ensuring the TBA has a fairly fixed income, so they can set a budget and have funding available for all the aforementioned, but expressly training of representative sides, travel & accommodation for representative players, promotion of the sport & etc.

Here is the big difference in what it will mean to the TBA. We begrudgingly pay the $20.00 or whatever it is at the start of the year, but it is quickly forgotten. I can't think of anybody I know who would give the game away for the sake of $1.00 extra whenever we bowl. For those in big cash leagues, paying decent money each week, what is another $1.00? For those playing in trophy leagues once a week, they can afford another $1.00 as their weekly outlay is small.

BUT, instead of a paltry $20.00 TBA registration per year - from the average bowler that will go to approx $50.00 per year, from the enthusiasts approx $150.00 and from the addicts, even more......

NOW we can get into promoting the sport properly, coach and then train those who are under consideration for representative sides, pay their travel and accommodation..........

The chain of command can perform properly as the funding will be there to ensure everyone is complying with their responsibility. Funding will be there to see that EVERY league bowler gets a hard copy about every event, special, tournament, roll-off & etc. I can assure everyone, that kind of communication will ensure this sport grows again.......

Two things my proposal will ensure
* Money to operate PROPERLY
* Accountability

I look forward to the feedback.

Max

Here is the big difference in what it will mean to the TBA. We begrudgingly pay the $20.00 or whatever it is at the start of the year, but it is quickly forgotten. I can't think of anybody I know who would give the game away for the sake of $1.00 extra whenever we bowl. For those in big cash leagues, paying decent money each week, what is another $1.00? For those playing in trophy leagues once a week, they can afford another $1.00 as their weekly outlay is small.
Max

The average trophy league bowlers outlay may be small thats true. However, with the never ending increase in bowling fees year in year out from AMF and the like a simple $1.00 increase these days is enough to get bowlers to pull the plug on bowling in a league altogether.

With raffles, drinks, food etc draining the purse strings whenever you turn up to bowl in league, $1 these days in not a paltry sum anymore. Our league voted to lose the 30 odd cents per week per bowler (10 cents per game increase) rather than push our weekly league fee above $25.00.

Eventually this will have to increase above this price but if it can wait for another year then that is what bowlers want. They would rather have the $1 per week in their pockets and pay up the $20 odd at the start of the year.

Max I think your idea of paying a $1 per week to the TBA has merit, however, at least 30 cents per bowler per week of that $1 should go to the local or area association to provide services to both leagues and members (league treasurer / secretarial materials, bowler chevrons, pins etc.) for this to be more attractive to the general populous.

This is from a league treasurer at the front line. Right now it's a war out there and you have to fight for every single $1.

I agree that one of the problems seems to be the lack of available funds. $1 per league you bowl in wouldn't affect me but I do think it would be a nightmare to deal with in reality. Maybe payment 6-monthly of $20 or something? I don't know but it seems to be an issue that comes up time and again and one that should be looked at.

The other thing is accountability. Do we really want the average bowler not knowing where their membership is going or do we want well informed bowlers, able to give their input and hopefully help promote the sport, bowlers who know their money is being well used and therefor prepared to pay the bit extra?

I agree that one of the problems seems to be the lack of available funds. $1 per league you bowl in wouldn't affect me but I do think it would be a nightmare to deal with in reality. Maybe payment 6-monthly of $20 or something? I don't know but it seems to be an issue that comes up time and again and one that should be looked at.

$1.00 won't affect anyone at all, if is that close an issue for some, buy one less raffle ticket, have fries instead of wedges, have a size smaller drink. In reality, it is collected by the league secretary/treasurer as he/she does now, paid into an account set up by the association to be forwarded on to the state body, who then send to the TBA. Done electronically in 15 minutes from start to finish. The whole idea of the weekly fee is to get away from the lump sum outlay........

The other thing is accountability. Do we really want the average bowler not knowing where their membership is going or do we want well informed bowlers, able to give their input and hopefully help promote the sport, bowlers who know their money is being well used and therefor prepared to pay the bit extra?

With the communication from the TBA down, every bowler will get full access to the reports on the operation of the TBA, as everyone IS entitled to. But in a nutshell, why would the average bowler need or want to know? As long as they are aware it is all going to the national body for use as is fit for the running of the game, including National Teams..... Nobody, not even the dumbest person, could think a body which governs the sport for 50,000 people could operate on peanuts.

If league secretaries/treasurers announced the price had gone up by $1.00 per week, 99.99% of people would moan about it for 2 weeks, then 99.99% of those people would get over it.....

We can't have it both ways folks.......either we pay a fair fee for having the game run properly or we continue to pay a miniscule percentage of our bowling costs and not receive the promotion the sport needs, no coaching/training for representative bowlers, bowlers unavailable because of the cost to represent their country.........

In response to your bit about the local league receiving money Terry......it would operate the same way as the Government, collected by the ATO and distributed to the state bodies who then distribute to local councils......

Max

Max...

While I'm in agreement that the TBA must increase the amount of the registration fee in order for the sport of bowling to survive, I don't believe your plan has any chance of working and I'll tell you why.
Ask any independent proprietor and they'll tell you that the TBA has no right to see their financial books. In essence, your plan will mean that all bowling centre owners will have to raise their league fees by $1.00 per person per league outing, which means that the TBA will see just how much league income each bowl receives. I've spoken to a few bowling centre owners and to a man, they'll all said the it's their business and they'll run it the way they want, not how the TBA says to run it.

At this year's TBAL AGM our CEO hinted that somehow the TBA would be getting a piece of each and every paid game bowled in Australian centres. This too is just a pipe dream. I don't have the answer, except to say that I believe $50.00 for membership dues is not over the top.

I think many leagues will simply not pay the TBA fee and remain unsanctioned self-run affairs.

When we first started my Thursday league around 3 years ago there was an amount (can't remember how much) that was for TBA registration. When the season came to an end the question was asked of the AMF staff at the time "what happens if we don't pay the fees". The answer was "nothing". In fact we were told by AMF staff that it was not worth our while paying the fees as we'd get nothing out of it ourselves. (I paid anyway, as did one other member). If this scenario is repeated throughout the country it's no wonder there's no money in the pot.

I think that many, if not the majority of bowlers look at it with the thought that "I'm never going to bowl a 300 so why bother". If, however you try to balance the imposition of TBA fees with awards/pins/chevrons etc, most people would opt for paying less per game. It's almost a lose/lose situation that's compounded, in my opinion, by most people seeing bowling as a game not a bona-fide sport.

Firstly, I acknowledge those who have taken to our game the way many people have - it is the world's most expensive sport.

You're kidding aren't you? Don't get me started on my last sport.... ( sorry Max just an ongoing "joke" with my wife re funds spent on previous activity) I do agree that bowling is not as cheap as it used to be, a rude awakening upon returning back a short time ago. I'm sure many people have done other sports and spent just as much.

BUT, instead of a paltry $20.00 TBA registration per year - from the average bowler that will go to approx $50.00 per year, from the enthusiasts approx $150.00 and from the addicts, even more......

Being in the enthusiast-addict group l am wondering what l get above and beyond the average bowler for the extra money? I realise that user pays has its merit but as Wayne said, no proprietor wants the TBA to know how much is going through the books. In my previous sports the registration/licence with the governing body was compulsory, no pay no play. The governing body was where your insurance came from. I don't know a lot about what the TBA offers and whether insurance is part of it but the centres need to work with the TBA and encourage membership, (which is way to cheap) a sound and financial governing body is surely good for the sport on all levels. If the TBA offered more than more people would join. As l said l don't know what they offer (even though l am a member) but l think it should be compulsory, than the governing body would have the funds neccessary to help the sport in which ever way needed.
Cheers,
Bluey.

it is not that difficult if done through the treasurer and like the prize fund of a league, the $1 you speak of per week, is forwarded electronically to TBA account monthly/bi-monthly, however you like.

this would work quite easily and is one of the most common sense posts i have seen on here ever! this would ensure more capital for the TBA to provide more benefits across the whole demographic of our sport and also ensure future planning and direction.

it could be even a different amount, 20 cents, 50 cents, whatever, but this would e a far lesser burden to the bowler and a far more capital potential to the TBA. win win i say.

Great post Max, you have brought up a lot of valid points.

For me, being in the 'addict' group as you well know, I wouldn't notice an extra dollar every time I stepped onto the approach.

So what if the TBA was to know how much lineage a centre is making? The proprietor wants to sanction the centre, hence being eligible for hosting tournaments and as such, would be generating revenue. I think it requires a little give-and-take.

At the end of the day, Australian bowlers have been paying an inadequate once-off annual fee for many years, and look where it has got the sport. Continue to do the same things, you'll get the same results. The sport of Tenpin will continue to suffer.

If we change what we're currently doing, we might just get a different result.

So let's try a bit of change.

I find it suprising that noone has mentioned an idea that i would have thought to be common sense.

AMF has the vast stranglehold on SOCIAL bowling throughout the country. If anyone wants to argue with that then go for your life. Why then, for a business who has such high monopoly is a % of their social lineage not going to the TBA in order to raise the profile of the sport?

There are currently 40+ AMF centres around the country. For example if we average out across the country on a sat night at 500 games per centre - thats 20 000 games. Even if they were to donate 5c per game on a sat night throughout the year there is an extra $50000 per year into the TBA. Thats only 1 night of the week taken into account as well.

If this was rounded off to 5c per game or even 3c per game for every day of the week thats a s**t load extra money being put into the development of the sport and therefor raising the profile of the sport meaning more people getting into league therefor more money in AMF's (Macquarie) pockets.

As far as im concerned i will continue to pay my TBA fee's no matter wat the cost may be. However i feel that more responsibility should be taken by AMF. In an industry where they hold the majority of the business, why then should they not be seen as accountable for helping to raise the profile of the sport...just my 3c

There have been some interesting responses so far, the underlying factor is that most people agree we have to fund the TBA so they CAN do their job.

A couple of points I would like to make though....
1> It has been mentioned independent centre operators don't wish anybody to know their financial situation - and quite rightfully so. However, they don't have to in that all we are concerned about is $1.00 per league bowler every time they bowl and it is to be handled by the leagues themselves. It is absolutely irrelevant what the league charges the bowler, therefore irrelevant what the centre charges the league for lineage. Consequently, what the centre earns is not disclosed to the TBA other than the number of league games bowled.

2> I disagree that the social bowler or the centre hosting the social bowler should have any responsibility towards the running of the sport AT ALL. This is all about the TBA running the sport properly for those who compete and not those once in a lifetime participants. A golfer who has a social round once or twice a year has no financial responsibility to contribute to the APGA nor does the bloke who take his kids down to the local footy oval to have a kick around have any financial responsibility to the AFL.

In summation (at this stage anyhow), it must be a hard and fast rule that everyone who bowls in a league must be a member of the TBA. In ALL other sports where somebody competes, association fees are compulsory and as I mentioned in my original post, most of them are around 33% of subs paid. Threads have been started in the past asking what we get for our TBA fees, I have NEVER heard of anyone else asking what they get for their fees in any other sport - it is a given - the money is used to ensure their part of the sport is run properly. We pay a paltry $20.00 per year to make sure things get done for the SPORT, not what we can actually receive back into our own individual hands.

I look forward to more replies..............Max

I think bowling should take a leaf out of other sports…

In most sports there are Governing bodies/Sports clubs and the likes…If you enter local/ state or National tournaments there are ongoing fees…This equates to people feeling as though they BELONG to something…

Tenpin bowling is the only sport I know of that people need to know what the CEO and the governing body is doing for them…Is it really that important…

When I joined Kart racing I also joined 4 different clubs…This allowing me to compete in all of there events…Club championships, everything…Do I care what I get for my money NO so long as the track is there and ready to be raced on I am happy…

Here is a solution that I have…Not that I care too much but I am sure there will be knockers who will disagree…

Let’s start at the grass roots…

Join a league or three for that matter it doesn’t matter BUT you must then JOIN THAT CLUB…yes that’s right joining the club also has a fee…But that fee includes Club shirt(must be worn at the league/leagues you bowl in)…Yes and it does mean that if you bowl in three different leagues at three different centres then your pay (3) CLUB FEES and yes you get the (3) different club shirts/drink bottles/key rings and whatever it is you get at the different clubs…Wear the shirts in your leagues you compete in…Makes people feel like they belong to something…These clubs/centres in question will then pay a fee to be SANCTIONED/MEMBER whatever word you want to call it to the governing bodies…A set fee per year…That then makes SOME (not all or anyone in particular here) of these centres get off their backsides and start to offer customer service for their fees they are charging…Improved lane conditions, facilities, café food, staff and so on…If you don’t like what it is they are offering then you JOIN ANOTHER CLUB…

If you enter a tournament you pay a fee to compete…You enter Country Cups/Association Challenges/Inter club/Centre challenges then you pay a fee to join in those also…These Associations don’t need to MAKE HEAPS of money, do they????

If a club/centre chooses not to join the TBA or whoever it is then there members are not eligible or a registered player…No chances of these players representing or competing in anything that is going around, as they won’t be recognised…Sure you say club/centres won’t care well wait till they have NO LEAGUES or very little and their income goes down…It then becomes a business decision to BOOST numbers and that will start by Registering the CLUB/CENTRE and starting some GOOD leagues to bowl in…then their income goes up and things will improve from there…

The problem with bowling there is TOO MANY break away ASSCIATIONS competitions and so on…It’s a sport that seems to be will if I don’t like it I will start my own and do it my way…A poor attitude that has eaten away at this sport for years now…Like cancer it will eat away slowly but one day it just catches up...

This is just a rough opinion...Just my 2 cents worth…I await the barrage of negative posts/

I have NEVER heard of anyone else asking what they get for their fees in any other sport - it is a given - the money is used to ensure their part of the sport is run properly. We pay a paltry $20.00 per year to make sure things get done for the SPORT, not what we can actually receive back into our own individual hands.

So because it hasn't been asked before we shouldn't hold the TBA accountable for the use of our membership money? The TBA should be making the sport better and if they aren't (I am not saying they are/aren't) then we should be able to ask questions.

I have no idea what's happen to the bowling community over the years, but for some reason the average league player (weekly bowler) does not want to pay membership fees. Yes, the main reason is they receive nothing for their membership fee. To this day I don't believe TBA or the centre Managers are going to change their way of thinking.

I liked the by tenpinyo about rates per game. I agree TBA need to find more income to cover the costs of running the sport. The centre's can charge 15c per social game played, the full rate might be $12 for 1 game ($11.85 to propreitor, 5c to TBA, State, Local associations) this will generate more income as a usage basis. All league bowlers that are in competitive leagues will need to pay 30c (20c TBA, 5c State, 5c local) and this way all league bowlers are registered with TBA.

The ranked tournament players will then need to pay an extra $50.00 registration fee to be able to compete in events and represent state and national teams.

So because it hasn't been asked before we shouldn't hold the TBA accountable for the use of our membership money? The TBA should be making the sport better and if they aren't (I am not saying they are/aren't) then we should be able to ask questions.

Not saying that at all Gary, in fact you will find anyone has access to the annual reports. If you know how to read one and read a financial report, I am sure you will see it is more than covered. However, to make it a bit simpler for you, and this was covered in my very initial post......this is very basically what our money goes towards, and as you can see - it is clearly not enough.
administration fees, wages or honorariums, correspondence, office rent, phone, utilities, office supplies, electronic equipment, training of representative sides, travel & accommodation for representative players, promotion of the sport & etc

Rest assured, the TBA is accountable - but the board has been elected by the bowlers to handle the running of the sport on our behalf. If it is that important to anyone, here is the link to the report. But I can just about guarantee nobody will bother to read through the entire document and find out exactly where we are at - INCLUDING all the people who whine as to where their mammoth $20.00 per year goes.....
http://www.tenpin.org.au/2008_AGM/2007_2008 TBA AGM Agenda and Reports 1.pdf

As much as people will argue the point here - the TBA is severely under-funded. Without substantial further income, they are seriously restricted in what more they can do.

Let's look at what we can do for the sport rather than how we are going to directly benefit as individuals - we do benefit already, purely by having an organised competition to play in...............

Max

The biggest problem is not lack of accountability. We all know what we get from our TBA registraion fee as far as individual return - Nothing.

Is that acceptable!

For those bowlers who have been involved in bowling for a long time and want to see the sport prosper the answer is of course - YES (with due reservations).

However for those new to the sport (or those who treat it as a once a week social outing) who are asked to pay up this fee (registration, sanction, call it what you want) they naturally ask like all intelligent people where and what they get for their money. Now you tell me any one new to anything that will hand over their hard earned after being told: no sorry you don't get anything back for it.

This is where the major problem lies with the current proposed setup of the TBA.

So many of you are trying to throw it in the proprietors court but the reality is they would prefer not to have TBA at all. Bowling Proprietors are businessman and they are not going to readily collect or pass over money to another entity and nor they should.

It is us sports bowlers that require a strong, viable TBA not the proprietors. I personally don't think it is going to happen with their proposed existing structure. I hope I am wrong, but whatever the outcome we need something to be done very soon before Tenpin is written off as a viable sport in this country.

I find it suprising that noone has mentioned an idea that i would have thought to be common sense.

AMF has the vast stranglehold on SOCIAL bowling throughout the country. If anyone wants to argue with that then go for your life. Why then, for a business who has such high monopoly is a % of their social lineage not going to the TBA in order to raise the profile of the sport?

There are currently 40+ AMF centres around the country. For example if we average out across the country on a sat night at 500 games per centre - thats 20 000 games. Even if they were to donate 5c per game on a sat night throughout the year there is an extra $50000 per year into the TBA. Thats only 1 night of the week taken into account as well.

If this was rounded off to 5c per game or even 3c per game for every day of the week thats a s**t load extra money being put into the development of the sport and therefor raising the profile of the sport meaning more people getting into league therefor more money in AMF's (Macquarie) pockets.

As far as im concerned i will continue to pay my TBA fee's no matter wat the cost may be. However i feel that more responsibility should be taken by AMF. In an industry where they hold the majority of the business, why then should they not be seen as accountable for helping to raise the profile of the sport...just my 3c

I suggested exactlty the same thing 12-18 months ago.

I dont see anything wrong with a user pays system.
How many people pay a toll to drive on freeways. The user pays.
Everybody *****es about it but they still pay it.

Oh, hang on other sports dont do it so we cant. Grow up people.
If someone doesnt try something out of the norm where is tenpin bowling going to be in 10 years. The exactly where we are now. The only thing that will have changed is that we will all be 10 years older, nothing else.

The bottom line is centres dont give a rats arse about league or tournament play. Social play is where they make there money. And making money is what its about. Having league or tounament bowling at a reduced rate when they could have social play on the same lanes is costing them money.

Rest assured, the TBA is accountable - but the board has been elected by the bowlers to handle the running of the sport on our behalf.

Max

Te TBA board is NOT elected by the bowlers. it is elected by the voting delegates, who are already a part of the TBA by way of their positions with the State Associations.

Te TBA board is NOT elected by the bowlers. it is elected by the voting delegates, who are already a part of the TBA by way of their positions with the State Associations.

My apologies Wayne - the point I am getting to with that is there has had to be some elected officials amid the chain of command. It is not as if someone can walk in off the street and say they will be on the TBA board.

The gist of it really is, the people who are there are not there to deliberately screw up or deliberately undermine the sport or the people within it. They are there on behalf of the bowlers, and at some stage were either elected or appointed by us the bowler.

I think we are getting away here from what Max was originally suggesting.

His idea was for the leagues to collect, for example, $1 per league bowler, per night of play, with this being collected by the treasurer of the league and at proposed times forwaded to TBA to be paid. This in turn, would be reconciled by the league president as per current league processes.

This in turn, would provide TBA with the necessary revenue to further develop and expand the base of the sport and grow more capital and opportunities for the future of our sport.

This proposal has nothing to do with proprietors or centres, AMF or independant owners, this has to do with arranging a feasible, structured and realistic avenue for revenue that benefits bowlers and the sport alike.

Don't look at this with rose coloured glasses or on an individual viewpoint, this is about the broad spectrum concerning all bowlers, as it becomes a user pay, user share system.

My suggestion to further expand on what Max is saying would be to take 30 cents per game of league play, social bowlers pay nothing as they don't bowl league and like social golfers for example as another person stated earlier, don't contribute to the AGU or PGA so why should people in our sport coming off the street pay.they dont! This 30 cents per game is banked by the league committee (treasurer, reconciled by president) on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis, however you like, then the onus is on the TBA as the governing body, how to distribute those monies. The annual fee is then scrapped, in the interim or permanently dependant on how much revenues is coming in.

It is also then the onus each year of the relative state bodies to lobby for relevant funding and then the state bodies have the onus of distributing funds to the relevant local associations. This structure sounds familiar doesnt it? That's right, it's how the government system of funding has worked for 100 years. Federal to state, state to local, local to community and so forth.

The TBA needs to implement this to ensure stable and regular income streams to ensure future survival in my belief, don't see the, "What's in it for me"? here. Look at the big picture. The relevant rewards or stuff given back by the TBA can come later through thoughtful and positive feedback by us, the bowlers ourselves, but this can only come once radical changes are made to the revenue structure.

I hope the TBA are reading this thread and taking in the discussion surrounding this. Maybe they might enhance this idea and embrace it or at least soak it up for what it is. Suggestion and discussion!

More feedback regarding this proposal Max has suggested the better.

Back
Top Bottom